best for elk hunting

Well you just can't go wrong with a 300 Win. Mag. or a 338 .

Some of us still like a 30-06.

Whatever you are most comfortable shooting at 200 plus yards. I prefer a .30 caliber myself, no smaller than .30-06.

300 mag is a great round, and lots of guys shoot 7 mag too. My wife shoots a 7mm-08 and it does a great job, but probably not over 300 yards. The ol' man shoots elk with 25-06 and has good luck. Personally I think, if you can put the bullet in the right spot, then that's what matters. Myself; I like a little more knockdown. My 300 WSM is a proven round for me.

I have killed elk with many calibers...270 win, 7mm mag, 30.06, 300 RUM, and the latest 338 RUM. They are all great elk calibers and there are many others I have not tried or named. The best advice I can give you is pick the caliber that YOU shoot the best. If you can't put the bullet in the sweet spot, none of them will work. You have to have the confidence with rifle, what ever caliber you pick to make the FIRST shot count. Elk are tough animals, a good caliber, a good quality bullet and a good shot, you are well on your way to putting meat in the freezer! Good luck and happy hunting!

The elk I took in '06 was with a 300 WSM, it was OK but weight was an issue (size/weight of the cartridges, rifle Win mod 70, etc) so I sold it. I bought and used a Ruger (20" barrel) in the new 338 RCM on a moose hunt in Newfoundland last Oct, a lot lighter and easier to handle. I'd look into their 300 RCM for carrying around in the mountains for elk. Another feature I liked was that it has open sights, handy if something happens with your scope out in the middle of the wilderness.

I love my 30-06 and feel real comfortable shooting it. I've harvested many elk with it and haven't lost one yet. I shoot 165 core lokts out of it. Shoot whatever gun you are accurate with and doesn't scare you. Great advise has been given.

I've used a30-06 (165grain),270 (130grain) and a 7mm mag (150grain) and each proved to be worthwhile in getting an elk. The old timers I got to know here in the mountains always said it was shot placement that was the key to success !
I prefer the flatter shooting 270 and 7mag.

270. 7mm/08, 280, 308, 30/06, 7mm Mag, 300 Mag, 338 Fed, 338 Mag, 35 Whelen......Pick one and learn to shot it.............with a proper bullet, They will Fall !!! (I'm looking hard at getting a 338 Fed myself ;>) )

Depends on what you like,how much recoil you can/will deal with. You need to shoot more than just the week before elk season and "the shot". I have a rem 700 7mm that I absolutely love. It will shoot 4 shot group of 3/8 @ 100, with no smith work. I also have a 300 ultra mag rem sendero II that beat the pi$$ out of me so bad I haad to break it. Nice to shoot now but freakin loud. Both very capable. There are guys out there (not that I condone this) that are killing elk at over 1000yds, with 180 gr bullets. It all boils down to...can you put the bullet where it needs to go?

Put the first round where it counts and keep shooting until the critter goes down. I've found if the elk don't know anything is going on when the first round hits them they go down easy. However, if the elk are on to you and you even have good shot placement the adrenaline is already in their blood and they can be tough. That is when they start acting like die hard. Just keep shooting them where it counts.

Alot of great calibers out there...and good advice above.
Dead is dead...pick something you can shoot comfortably, with confidence and get that shot in the boiler room!...IF IT MOVES...SHOOT AGAIN.

Well i see alot of big rounds and magnums and "oddballs" (keep in mind i am in a non rifle state). Why not just a .308 win. Its easy to get decent priced ammo for and has the knockdown power to do the job.

Well i see alot of big rounds and magnums and "oddballs" (keep in mind i am in a non rifle state). Why not just a .308 win. Its easy to get decent priced ammo for and has the knockdown power to do the job.

Cause there are ELK we are talking about.... Bambistew had by far the best advice....

I'd get a 375H&H minimim. THe 416 Ruger might not be a bad choice. Elk are very hard to kill.

Anything less borders on unethical.

I've seen elk killed with everything from .243 to 375 HH. I believe that most people are macho when it comes to picking a caliber for hunting. The "I can shoot a big bore better than average Joe" is the mentality of most people. Reality is that most people don't shoot enough because of the big bore they purchased. On the other hand the lower recoil rifles get shot alot more, therefor people get better with them. I'd say go with the a rifle that you wouldn't mind shooting prairie dogs all day with. If you'd shoot 200 rounds with your .375 then by all means that gun would work if that's what you want. I don't like magnums, or the magnum recoil or blast. My $0.02

remsemi-auto, seems bambi and jose are taking a break from tugging each other''s appendages and trying to pull yours.;) The .308 is plenty...even better if it's seated in a weatherby mag, win mag, ultra mag, or short mag case.

Thats kinda what i thought....I have already read into that JC doesn't have much useful knowledge to share...especially about rifles! People have been hunting with the 30-06 for how many years now? And this clown thinks that 4xx caliber has to be the smallest or a 375 blah blah. He probably has hard enough time hunting his own A$$ with both hands....

Nato = cheap and easy to come by. Especially if you have some stored since purchased just before the price went up. Should do the job nicely.

Back