PEAX Equipment

Best cost effective solution to the current issue with my Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM

WV,

I'm in PA. and have much the same terrain as you. I lived in Berkeley Springs for a while.

Find a power or gas line. Deer come out to feed on them & will let that WSM stretch it's legs.

While in the woods, i use everything from 250 Savage to 280 Rem.
On the gas lines opportunities range from contact to 1,500+ yards.
And yeah, i hunt public lands.
Although you don’t “need” more than a 30-30 to hunt deer in much of the Mid-Atlantic region, sometimes it is nice to have something that will give you a little more range.

OP, Like others have mentioned, I think something like Kroil or a carbon remover will solve your problem.

2A7DDB27-2B47-4A39-98F8-9D19FA1D30FC.jpeg1B748403-1A8F-4C8E-BF0A-2197799FD32C.jpeg20D8698D-F876-4795-B15F-78505C605E44.jpeg

I was about to suggest that. Hair dryer on high might be enough. Or heat gun on low. I think I would stay away from torches. Leave that much heat to professionals.

300 WSM is definitely more gun and recoil than you need for your country. That buck shot at 25 yards must have looked like it was hit with a hand grenade when the hide was peeled off. 30-06 would be plenty for what and where you're hunting now. 45-70 sounds like a canon caliber but they actually do a nice job on deer in close. Small amount of bloodshot on impact and exit. Fast follow-up shooting is HIGHLY overrated. Stick with a bolt and shoot it well. I was able to hit gemsbuck incoming at full gallop twice offhand through the heart at 15 and 12 yards with my bolt action Springfield and 3x9 scope turned down all the way. I called both shots and when PH rolled it over, there the holes were where I said they would be. 165 Partitions made a bit of a mess of the shoulder on second shot but to be expected at that range with 30-06. A magnum would have dismembered the beast. With a smile he said I should give the animals time to fall over. I reminded him that oryx will take on lions and a client almost got hurt by a wounded gemsbuck a few years earlier. This one was WAY too close for my comfort zone. He agreed.
It was the biggest bodied 6 point or deer that my Dad has seen hit the dirt in a long time. It was a quarter to shot with 185 Berger Hunter Hybrids from Federal. It definitely broke his leg but didn’t pass through like I hear about Bergers in general. Like a small grenade. He actually charged me and I was a little scared as I reached across my gun since I am use to a left hand bolt and he saw me and turned. He didn’t go far. The second deer last year had a bigger rack, but smaller body. He was trailing a doe and I shot quartering away for the shoulder but hit his neck. Bad follow up. DRT

45/70 is a canon. I have thought about 44 Mag since I bought the die’s cheap and hope to get a revolver in that cartridge someday. I could load some hunting rounds for it.

I remember you being from PA after me posting questions about my brother’s 7mm Rem Mag and his issues. He sadly gave up on it and it just sits there unscoped with a muzzle brake that he paid $400 to have put on.
I would definitely like to stretch its legs. I will have to find such areas. Since I am sadly not going out west once again I thinking about getting my PA license and hunt public land.
If you do, let me know!
My hunting partner kinda flaked on me, so still searching for a new partner.
Ok, he didn't flake out.
Just couldn't see why i didn't want to go hunting with him after he was at a strip club drinking all night.

And tell your brother to make me an offer on his Rem Mag. Lol

If you do, let me know!
My hunting partner kinda flaked on me, so still searching for a new partner.
Ok, he didn't flake out.
Just couldn't see why i didn't want to go hunting with him after he was at a strip club drinking all night.

And tell your brother to make me an offer on his Rem Mag. Lol
I definitely will let you know. I actually want to get my first deer 🦌 with a bow. I also want to try more property. See new places that I can legally hunt or fish 🎣

You love to collect 7mms I see lol 😆 Ok I will ask him and let you know.

It was the biggest bodied 6 point or deer that my Dad has seen hit the dirt in a long time. It was a quarter to shot with 185 Berger Hunter Hybrids from Federal. It definitely broke his leg but didn’t pass through like I hear about Bergers in general. Like a small grenade. He actually charged me and I was a little scared as I reached across my gun since I am use to a left hand bolt and he saw me and turned. He didn’t go far. The second deer last year had a bigger rack, but smaller body. He was trailing a doe and I shot quartering away for the shoulder but hit his neck. Bad follow up. DRT

45/70 is a canon. I have thought about 44 Mag since I bought the die’s cheap and hope to get a revolver in that cartridge someday. I could load some hunting rounds for it.
I have seen a couple of deer shot with 45-70. Less meat damage than my 30-06. I am told the recoil is not ferocious, probably due to essentially no shoulder on the cartridge. Sharp-shouldered cartridges like Weatherby and WSM are the shoulder busters. So yes, the 45-70 looks like a cannon but for close range work it's very useful and user friendly. The similar 444 Marlin seems to be much more brutal to shoot and I'm not sure why. Too much gas?

Yeah I will have to find some Kroil and just leave the brake off.
I have Kroil at my place. Lol

I mix it 1/3 Kroil, 2/3 Hoppes #9 for cleaning.

With Moshannon State Forest & Elk State Forest beside it, i have thousands of acres, ok over 200,000, to hunt. Not counting the State Game Lands around me, 11,000+ acres.

I have Kroil at my place. Lol

I mix it 1/3 Kroil, 2/3 Hoppes #9 for cleaning.

With Moshannon State Forest & Elk State Forest beside it, i have thousands of acres, ok over 200,000, to hunt. Not counting the State Game Lands around me, 11,000+ acres.
Wow that’s awesome 🤩 and plenty of places for the deer 🦌 and turkey 🦃 to hide. That’s about 3.5 hours northeast of me. Not too bad. I have done it before.

Wow that’s awesome 🤩 and plenty of places for the deer 🦌 and turkey 🦃 to hide. That’s about 3.5 hours northeast of me. Not too bad. I have done it before.
Lol,
I'm in Altoona, PA. Where i hunt is about 70 miles north of me.
Ok, 60 miles of paved road. :rolleyes:

Game wandering through includes coyotes, turkeys, deer, black bear, bobcat, fox, and elk.

Nothing like sitting in your stand archery hunting deer, and a 6X6 bull elk, or large black bear comes in & hangs out 10 yards from the stand.

Usually the closest vehicle to me during archery season is 3 miles from me.

Of course that changes during rifle season.

Lol,

Game wandering through includes coyotes, turkeys, deer, black bear, bobcat, fox, and elk.

Nothing like sitting in your stand archery hunting deer, and a 6X6 bull elk, or large black bear comes in & hangs out 10 yards from the stand.

I lived in derry/latrobe/Blairsville area for a couple years. Hunted as much as I possibly could. I miss chasing squirrels after deer season.

Lol,

According to my Google maps Altoona is a little over 3 hours away from me in WV. Not too bad.
It would be awesome to see a 6x6 elk while deer 🦌 hunting especially since I haven’t made it out west since 2019, of which I didn’t see an elk, just their prints. My brother did though.
If I get my PA license and I know that I will be in areas that have bear 🐻 and it’s their season I would gladly arrow one from the ground or tree 🌳 saddle and go home 🏡 happy 😃
That’s what I love about archery 🏹 before the orange 🍊 army comes out

Side note I talked with my brother about the suggestion by @VikingsGuy @Don Fischer of going with a new cartridge that is not a magnum especially the .308. He said that the .308 Win would be a good all around cartridge for anything that we would hunt at ranges that we believe are ethical based on our shooting skills (sub 425 yards). Plus there’s tons of factory ammo and maybe even reloading supplies outside of powder. It’s mild recoiling and cheaper to shoot.

So if I were going to go down that road and sell my Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM that I bought brand new in 2019, what rifle that costs under $1200 (since I could sell my barely used rifle for $900 or so) would you recommend? If I go this route I would prefer a sub 7 or maybe just a hair over rifle for hiking 🥾 those mountains ⛰ out west and even the steep country here in the Appalachians. I also would want it already threaded for future suppressor use. If it’s going to be a lighter weight “handy” Mountain 🏔 rifle (my 300 WSM is 8.4 lbs naked and right handed) I would prefer a left hand rifle, but I can train more working a right. The plan is to not need a follow up shot, but plan for it.

Also what are some of your favorite loads and or at least bullets to use for elk in a .308 out to 400 yards. Can be factory ammo like a Federal Terminal Ascent or some recommended bullets and powder combos. I currently have some Barnes TTSX in 150 grain that @VikingsGuy recommended and some Nosler 180 grain Accubonds that I haven’t gotten around to loading for my 300 WSM. I would imagine something in the 160s would bring the most balance of terminal performance on target and accuracy. Yes I know that each rifle is an individual.

Yes that’s the brand that I was going to go for when I was looking at getting a .30 cal to accompany my .270 Win. In both the .308 and .300 WSM, but I couldn’t pass on the deal for my current rifle in the Savage M110 Long Range Hunter. I know that it’s 8.4 lbs but aside from the brake that extra weight tames a good bit of recoil. I have a couple people I know that has a Tikka in 300 WSM and I asked to shoot it to see how sharp the recoil is on a 6.5 lb rifle with no brake.
Speaking of the only Tikka that is not tactical and is threaded is the Roughtech. I love the look of the Ember 🔥 but those and the SuperLite are all right hand. Which I can use, but prefer a left if possible.

The reason I suggested.308 was it works well with shorter barrels - and for woods hunting and/or with suppressors that is nice. If you like fit and finish of your current savage, I would rebarrel with a 20” .308 that is threaded for suppressor. Tikkas are great, but they don’t have the shorter barrel and most models don’t come threaded.

Barrel swaps on savage rifles are pretty simple.

Last edited:
Yup, Tikka.
Maybe a Kimber Hunter.

If i had that kind of cash to spend, i'd be looking for a used Forbes!
Especially since he's in WV.
New start at $3,600.

I'd do 308 or 30-06, IF i didn't reload & had to rely on factory ammo.
But since i do reload, 7mm-08 or 280 Rem.
Better ballistics than 30 caliber, especially once you get to 400+ yards. Will carry more energy, with less drop & windage.

Or go to a 25 caliber.
257 Roberts has worked well for myself & my daughter in the woods & on the gas line.
25 caliber just seems to take game above what the caliber would suggest.
Hence why the people that shoot it keep on shooting them.
We've been accused of being a cult. Lol
But it's like a Jeep.
If you don't have one, you wouldn't understand.

As @VikingsGuy says, barrel swap is easy on Savage.
I have 5 Savage rifle that don't have the original barrels. Did the barrel swaps myself in the basement.
And you can get whatever cartridge and barrel length you want.
Problem is the WSM cartridge.
It could be a small shank, or a large shank.

Last edited:
The reason I suggested.308 was it works well with shorter barrels - and for woods hunting and/or with suppressors that is nice. If you like fit and finish of your current savage, I would rebarrel with a 20” .308 that is threaded for suppressor. Tikkas are great, but they don’t have the shorter barrel and most models don’t come threaded.

Barrel swaps on savage rifles are pretty simple.
Makes a lot of sense. I was thinking about getting one separately or addition to the my two other rifles. In either 308 or 7mm 08.
But since my wife and I are wanting to get out of this small apartment I can’t spend too much at one time. Even though I probably could find a good one with a threaded barrel for $500.
I do like the Accufit system even though it is a standard synthetic stock with a chassis and spacers. It groups most 180-200 rather well at 100 yards, so a stock swap would be mostly aesthetic and maybe save weight without the use of the aluminum chassis.
I have seen that Savage barrel swaps are pretty simple to do. I really like 300 WSM and don’t have problems with recoil, but a short light or handy 308 or 7mm08 with a short barrel and suppressor definitely would be better for thicker woods hunting for deer 🦌 etc… Thank you 🙏 very much.

There may be a very nice brand new rifle fresh from the gunsmith for sale on here by Friday. My son needs to choose his first, the other is getting sold. The custom shop barreled actions I bought are finally done!

Yup, Tikka.
Maybe a Kimber Hunter.

If i had that kind of cash to spend, i'd be looking for a used Forbes!
Especially since he's in WV.
New start at $3,600.

I'd do 308 or 30-06, IF i didn't reload & had to rely on factory ammo.
But since i do reload, 7mm-08 or 280 Rem.
Better ballistics than 30 caliber, especially once you get to 400+ yards. Will carry more energy, with less drop & windage.

Or go to a 25 caliber.
257 Roberts has worked well for myself & my daughter in the woods & on the gas line.
25 caliber just seems to take game above what the caliber would suggest.
Hence why the people that shoot it keep on shooting them.
We've been accused of being a cult. Lol
But it's like a Jeep.
If you don't have one, you wouldn't understand.

As @VikingsGuy says, barrel swap is easy on Savage.
I have 5 Savage rifle that don't have the original barrels. Did the barrel swaps myself in the basement.
And you can get whatever cartridge and barrel length you want.
Problem is the WSM cartridge.
It could be a small shank, or a large shank.
My brother the one with the 7 Mag, really likes the Kimber Hunter and wants one. I would love one in 280 AI someday.

I actually don’t have $1200 cash hanging around, but if I sold my 300 WSM for $900 I would use that money 💵 and turn around and buy another rifle. Practically like trading lol 😆 But I would be willing to spend an additional $300 just to give me more options. Most online gun stores allow for a 90 day layaway or payment plan. So $100 a month for 3 months for a new rifle is not bad.
I can and have reloaded in the past. Both for my 270 Win, which has shot a certain handload and not factory ammo for 15+ years, and my 300 WSM (haven’t landed on anything, but it shoots a few factory loads well)
The 7s of the world are interesting to me. The 7mm08, 280 AI are high on my list. The 7mm Rem Mag is a deadly classic. Plus some others. I haven’t looked for brass for the 7mm08 yet, but I am sure that they are out there.
Good to know about the barrel swap. So you find deals on donor rifles and just swap out the barrels?

Yup!

I'll buy used rifles in whatever cartridge and just swap the barrel to what i want.
Savage prefits are usually readily available.
E.R. Shaw, Douglas, Green Mountain usually run under $300.
My Shilen barrel from Northland Shooters Supply was $330.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back