Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best Colorado rifle season

As this season of elk hunting is underway I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is about the 4 Colorado rifle seasons. Is 1st season the best if you can draw with minimal points (0-2 pts), save your points and hunt otc in 2nd or 3rd or draw the 4th season with the same minimal points (0-2 pts). The first season always interested me but wanted to see what would help kill an elk on public land. 2 elk hunts in and no elk to show for it. Thanks for the input!

They all suck, or can be great. Every year is different. I Would pick a unit and stick with it. I think this year second is better than first

They all suck, or can be great. Every year is different. I Would pick a unit and stick with it. I think this year second is better than first

Definitely...first season was 65 degrees at 10k feet and a full moon this year.

Just don't go with the season I pick...I always pick the hot ones.

I'm 3 elk tags deep in CO with 0 elk. Thinking a 1st rifle either sex tag may be what I apply for next time.

I've hunted 2nd season twice and only saw cows. It was tough hunting and wanted to help increase the odds a bit. Anyone with 1st season experience hear many/any bugles?

Obviously 1st and 4th will have less hunters in the field being limited, but they are short 5 day seasons and unless you are very familar with your area that can be too short of a time frame.

Second and third have become the most popular 9 day scavenger hunts in the West. Not even Forrest Fenn could get that many people searching the woods all at once. The one positive thing I will say about second/third is that due to the pressure the Elk are predictably in certain areas. Usually it's private land. First season would be my personal choice of all rifle seasons. Calling is still a realistic option and the weather is usually gorgeous.

Going to be different next year and for 4 years after that. 1st rifle will still be draw only, mid Oct, 5 days, Sat-Wed. Then 9 days closed to hunting. 2nd season is late Oct-Nov, 9 days inc 2 weekends. Then 5 days of closed season, followed by 3rd season; 7 days, Sat-Fri, mid Nov. Then 5 days closed. 4th season starts the following Sat, goes 5 days. Some years 4th draw only 5 day season will end around Thanksgiving. 2nd and 3rd will still be OTC in the typical units. 2nd will continue to be the most popular season. Deer hunters will like having 3rd and 4th seasons later in Nov. 3rd season. 3rd loses its 2nd weekend, and is about a week later so it may be less popular.

Simple, right?

I was reading up on the new season structure too and 3rd season seems to be more appealing as otc to me because of an increased chance of snow. I hunted 2016 and 2018 and we saw daytime temps in the 60's at 10k feet. Though I'm still leaning towards 1st season with the chance of catching some bugling bulls. My buddy was out this year and said the first two days he heard a lot of bugles on public land in 2nd season. His elk was bugling when he shot it.

Isn’t 2nd season 7 days starting next year? Bull in my avatar was bugling on the last day of 1st rifle this year. And as for the weather, it was plenty cold where we were for first rifle, we never saw it get over 50 during the day.

Edit - I had bad info on season dates, corrected below.

Last edited:
E5E0236B-8DBD-45D6-B236-A1D725846B37.jpeg
This was yesterday in an otc unit on public. Didn’t have a tag because I hunted first. Never saw an elk in first rifle. Point is, it doesn’t matter. Pick a season that works for you and go.

in general I look at where I want to hunt and go from there, a lot of high country that holds elk in first is not so good in third or fourth, and vice versa, if you want to do the sanctuary hunting game it usually only gets better the later you go..
my preferences are first or third, second has more people and the elk are usually transitioning into sanctuary mode but might not be there yet, that said, you may get a crack at a big bull the first day he shows up in a sanctuary.
I know it doesn't work for a lot of people but I try not to commit to a season until the last minute, if I don't draw a first rifle tag I'll scout prior to second, only buying a tag if I see a good bull I think I can kill, if I don't find one I hold off and buy a third rifle tag.

Are you still seeing elk around 10k feet during 2nd and 3rd season when it's cold? I just started hunting last year and I never know if I should be looking high up in "summer" range or lower on the mountain in a "winter" range.... or somewhere in between.

Just confirming that yes 2nd rifle is 7 days moving forward...hope that doesn’t lower draw odds for 1st but I bet it does.

Respectfullly, this info is incorrect. 2nd season is 9 days, followed by 5 day break before 3rd. GoHunt is in error, see this from CPW:

N. First Regular Rifle Elk Season (Status Quo) 5-day season, followed by a 9-day break (New). Separate limited elk-only season. Opens on the first Saturday after October 9th. Antlerless elk licenses may be offered in DAUs over the population objective. O. Second Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 9-day season, followed by a 5-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday and includes two full weekends.

Unlimited licenses available for antlered elk in OTC units. Limited either-sex or limited antlered elk licenses available in remaining limited units. All antlerless elk licenses are limited. Limited licenses issued by GMU/DAU.

All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued by GMU/DAU. P. Third Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 7-day season, followed by a 4-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday.

Unlimited licenses available for antlered elk in OTC units. Limited either-sex or limited antlered elk licenses available in remaining limited units. All antlerless elk licenses are limited. Limited licenses issued by GMU/DAU.

All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued by GMU/DAU. Q. Fourth Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 5-day season. Deer and elk combined season, but deer hunting is optional.

All licenses limited. Limited either-sex or limited antlered, and limited antlerless; all licenses issued by GMU/DAU. R. Whitetail Deer Hunting Seasons (Status Quo) Portions of the state may offer both limited and unlimited whitetail deer hunting opportunities. S. Season Dates First regular rifle elk season shall be the following dates:  2020- 10/10- 10/14  2021- 10/16- 10/20  2022- 10/15- 10/19  2023- 10/14- 10/18  2024- 10/12- 10/16

Second regular rifle deer and elk combined season shall be the following dates:  2020- 10/24- 11/01  2021- 10/30- 11/07  2022- 10/29- 11/06  2023- 10/28- 11/05  2024- 10/26- 11/03

Respectfullly, this info is incorrect. 2nd season is 9 days, followed by 5 day break before 3rd. GoHunt is in error, see this from CPW:

N. First Regular Rifle Elk Season (Status Quo) 5-day season, followed by a 9-day break (New). Separate limited elk-only season. Opens on the first Saturday after October 9th. Antlerless elk licenses may be offered in DAUs over the population objective. O. Second Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 9-day season, followed by a 5-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday and includes two full weekends.

All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued by GMU/DAU. P. Third Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 7-day season, followed by a 4-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday.

All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued by GMU/DAU. Q. Fourth Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season New 5-day season. Deer and elk combined season, but deer hunting is optional.

All licenses limited. Limited either-sex or limited antlered, and limited antlerless; all licenses issued by GMU/DAU. R. Whitetail Deer Hunting Seasons (Status Quo) Portions of the state may offer both limited and unlimited whitetail deer hunting opportunities. S. Season Dates First regular rifle elk season shall be the following dates:  2020- 10/10- 10/14  2021- 10/16- 10/20  2022- 10/15- 10/19  2023- 10/14- 10/18  2024- 10/12- 10/16

Second regular rifle deer and elk combined season shall be the following dates:  2020- 10/24- 11/01  2021- 10/30- 11/07  2022- 10/29- 11/06  2023- 10/28- 11/05  2024- 10/26- 11/03

glad to be wrong! Swore I had read it elsewhere too, thanks!

Are you still seeing elk around 10k feet during 2nd and 3rd season when it's cold? I just started hunting last year and I never know if I should be looking high up in "summer" range or lower on the mountain in a "winter" range.... or somewhere in between.
I guess I don't really think of 10K as "high" in western CO but what high or low means changes a lot depending on where you are.
in general, I think you will find fewer elk in the summer range in second, and even less in third, usually there's still some pressure up high driving elk down in second, by third they are usually pushed pretty low, at least around here... a lot of the time if you stake out a sanctuary area in second you will see more elk each day as the season progresses.

that said, if you are looking for any elk, hunt where most of them are, if you are looking for a big bull it can be productive to look away from the majority of the elk.

I've done first and third before. First season can still bring some pretty wild temp swings and can get come depending on what unit you're in. One of the reasons I do prefer the first is that it's fairly easy to draw with no points while still accruing a preference point. Limited entry generally will mean less people.

My Dad and I hunted 1st season this year and I was able to take a nice 6pt the 2nd day of season. It was warm and very bright at night with the moon. We were hunting around 10K and my bull bugled right before he showed up. We heard bugling everyday we were out there.

Attachments

• DSC_0268.jpg
    DSC_0268.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 44
My Dad and I hunted 1st season this year and I was able to take a nice 6pt the 2nd day of season. It was warm and very bright at night with the moon. We were hunting around 10K and my bull bugled right before he showed up. We heard bugling everyday we were out there.
That's awesome! I was hoping they'd still be bugling and I assume it's pressure related how much they do. Here in Pennsylvania, they bugle strong until mid October...it takes several lifetimes to get a tag though.

Back