best colorado over the counter unit for archery

I was raised in Colorado lived there for 35 years (I moved to MT 6 years ago, go back every year to hunt with friends, won't hunt it again until I draw a limited tag). I started archery hunting in 1996 in over the counter units and spent most of my adult life guiding and hunting there. I've killed 13 archery bulls and guided another 60 or so 3/4 of those were OTC. Unfortunately all of my stomping grounds are now limited draw if I had to give advice the best I can say is find a wilderness unit with some limited rifle tags to thin the pressure and go full send deep. E-scout and then put boots in your chosen area before your hunt. Good luck and shoot straight.

Without doubt 18, hunt the burn, with local llamas, Toag will pm you the best T/H to use.

I was raised in Colorado lived there for 35 years (I moved to MT 6 years ago, go back every year to hunt with friends, won't hunt it again until I draw a limited tag). I started archery hunting in 1996 in over the counter units and spent most of my adult life guiding and hunting there. I've killed 13 archery bulls and guided another 60 or so 3/4 of those were OTC. Unfortunately all of my stomping grounds are now limited draw if I had to give advice the best I can say is find a wilderness unit with some limited rifle tags to thin the pressure and go full send deep. E-scout and then put boots in your chosen area before your hunt. Good luck and shoot straight.
Real advice???? Boo Boo

Alright so here is some real advice.

1. Find a master class on escouting offered by the various insta famous and influencers. Draw an otc elk unit number from a hat.
2. Following the escouting course recommendations come up with spots A-z.
3. Now realize every other newbie, wannabe, moron has probably picked those exact spots as well. Trash those spots.
4. What’s left? Let’s call those garbage spots. These are the real gems, steep, dark timber hell holes that no one in their right mind would want to enter. That’s where the elk will be.

Good luck

Alright so here is some real advice.

1. Find a master class on escouting offered by the various insta famous and influencers. Draw an otc elk unit number from a hat.
2. Following the escouting course recommendations come up with spots A-z.
3. Now realize every other newbie, wannabe, moron has probably picked those exact spots as well. Trash those spots.
4. What’s left? Let’s call those garbage spots. These are the real gems, steep, dark timber hell holes that no one in their right mind would want to enter. That’s where the elk will be.

Good luck
This actually solid advice: if your elk hunting otc and don't mumble "this is f@$king stupid" before you hike/climb/reppell into a spot your doing it wrong.

Real advice???? Boo Boo
Considering my advice was sincere and the fact that this isn't your post asking the question how do you know it's not helpful. Sorry I didn't throw out any honey holes or secret spots but elk hunting and especially successful elk hunting takes work before during and after season. Newsflash almost all of Colorado's remaining OTC units have the same elk numbers and the same amount of public land. Truthfully any units and drainages thrown out here are no secret pick one you like that is close to places you either like or want to be put in some serious effort. If it doesn't work don't piss in the wind and move on.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back