Caribou Gear

Best caliber for short to medium range woods hunting?

For me, the key is really good bullets regardless of which caliber you choose to use.

My theory is don't skimp on bullets because that is the last thing that comes between you and the game

I love my .308 and my 6.5 Creedmoor

I did mention using the 30-30 from 1954 to 1980 for muley, elk, and bear. I don't like to develop different loads for different game. So, I pick the toughest animal and develop a load for that one and use it for the others too. The 170gr Partition was my elk load and it worked well. It might have been a bit overkill for bear and muley but with double lung shots it didn't spoil and good meat.

That's what's good about the 30-30. It's like a muzzleloader and easy on meat. Fast CF rounds can be hard on meat. Almost everybody will shoot better with less recoil.

Nothing wrong with any of those suggested, but add to them, the much forgotten but still common .38-55 (.32-40 if you like lighter), or in a really nice light rifle and common as dirt, .38-40 and 44-40, but probably best of any of them is the .54 roundball. There is no shortage of good rifles and calibers that will do the job in the woods (or the field for that matter).

Before turning to a muzzleloader in 1980 I used a Win 94 in 30-30 from 1954 to 1980. I used the 170gr Nosler Partition. Never lost an animal. Bear, muley's, and elk. Don't give up on the 30-30 for woods hunting.
I love hearing stuff like this man, tried and true 30-30. A lot of guys today will tell you that a 30-30 could never kill an elk. First deer I ever killed was with an OLD win94 in .32 spl.

I love hearing stuff like this man, tried and true 30-30. A lot of guys today will tell you that a 30-30 could never kill an elk. First deer I ever killed was with an OLD win94 in .32 spl.

They say that because they want to take long shots and shoulder shots. My style is to still hunt in close and take nothing but double lung shots. The lever 30-30 and muzzleloader are both perfect for that.

The .32 special was another good round but didn't last. Too bad it has a bit more power than the 30-30.

If we look at history, the 30-30 has probably put more venison and elk on the table than any other cartridge

People used to hunt wearing jeans back in the day too

I still do along with red and black checkered wool shirts. I know about the color blue being seen, so I wear brown Wranglers. I use detergent with no UV brightners. As long as I stand still when the game is looking at me. They don't spook. Camo won't keep you from being seen if you move.

I personally have put the 30 caliber rifles I have away recently for the .243. I just enjoy the fact it’s lightweight, doesn’t result in much meat loss, and gets the job done nicely with the correct loads.

For me, the key is really good bullets regardless of which caliber you choose to use.

My theory is don't skimp on bullets because that is the last thing that comes between you and the game

Winner winner; projectiles matter way more than head stamp.

If close range is your game & it’s blood trails you’re after LeverEvolution is not the right choice.

I’d consider a Barnes X bullet although as has been said the factory Core Lokt (or power point from Winchester or Federal blue box) have never done me wrong either and a lead core bullet has given quicker kills too.

200 yards and in?
your 30-30 is good to go. Many a critter has met its end with that rifle. Leverevolutions are a great round.. I have never shot anything with them in a 30 caliber but have in my 35.
35 Rem. is what I use for a lot of my mountain hunting its usually 100 yards or so or closer.
30-06 - been killing stuff for ages and will do everything you need and then some and comes in many diff platforms to suit your needs.
at those ranges you have about anything you can throw a dead cat at to consider.
Do you still hunt? Treestand hunt? this can be a big factor too. You may be a bolt gun guy in a tree but a pump or lever gun or semi auto guy on the ground.

Winner winner; projectiles matter way more than head stamp.

If close range is your game & it’s blood trails you’re after LeverEvolution is not the right choice.

I’d consider a Barnes X bullet although as has been said the factory Core Lokt (or power point from Winchester or Federal blue box) have never done me wrong either and a lead core bullet has given quicker kills too.

Or just plain lead. Imagine that? Killing effectively with simple lead bullets like they did in the old days. Still works.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Or just plain lead. Imagine that? Killing effectively with simple lead bullets like they did in the old days. Still works.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

A person really can go as old school and back to basics as you want. Nothing wrong with that. Native Americans took game with bows that are nothing like our modern compounds.

I don't mind adopting some new technology personally. I like my camo gear, and my Hornady and Nosler bullets for my 308win.

To answer Bobby5's original post...my opinion is 30 caliber. 308 for the WIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back