Best caliber for short to medium range woods hunting?

Bobby5

Im from indiana and im use to shotgun and muzzleloaders so dont have much experience with high powered rifles. A few years ago they made rifles legal but since i hunt in the woods i always still used my slug gun since i always thought the bigger the whole the better. Apparently this isnt true the high speed rifles do more damage than the old slug. I had a older western auto 30-30 i took this year with the lever revolution bullets and killed a nice 10 point but there wasnt a blood trail at all luckily he only went about 50 yards and i found him it was a good double lung hit. I was curious if like a 30-06, .270, etc would be a better choice than the .30-.30? Its the same bullet only going a hell of alot faster. Ive herd stories of the bullet moving so fast it blows up and you dont have a exit whole or it doesnt expand and you have to tiny holes with the no blood trail. what would be the best caliber bullet combo for short to medium range hunting (inside 200 yards). I know shot placement is everything but id like the best odds to humanely kill a deer even if a shot wasnt perfect.
Thanks

I wouldn't give up on the .30-30 yet. I've shot a lot of deer with my .30-06 and a few other cartridges (including shotgun slugs), and every now and then you just don't get as much of a blood trail.

I have had good luck with the Leverevolutions in .357 magnum, I think they're a decent bullet for deer.

In other words, I'd say that it was just happenstance that you didn't have a good blood trail with that shot using your current set-up, because it sounds pretty solid to me.

I've had good success with 150 Gr. Winchester Power Max Bonded in .30-30. I wouldn't have any reservations about the Leverevolution's though. If you had hit it with a higher velocity round in the same exact spot it should generate more internal damage but it may not necessarily have made a blood trail. But if you're looking for a new rifle don't let that stop you.

30-30 is THE classic timber deer rifle. Love it.
IF you wanna new rifle- get after it. My advice regarding caliber would be limited to what NOT to get. I’ve said it before, I’ll keep saying it until I die. NEVER BUY A 30-06. EVER.
It is the one caliber that eliminates all excuses for buying more rifles. It’s too damn good.
start w/ a short action (.308 type) which will leave you the option for long and magnum actions down the road.
firearm acquisition is a journey, not a destination.

I killed my first 18 whitetails with a 30-30 and 170 grain cor-lokts. All were one shot kills and most dropped on the spot. I like Morley's comment about firearms acquisition, however to answer your question there is simply too many to list. You could list every single cartridge available between 243 and 338 win mag then throw a dart at the list. Which ever you hit would make a fine deer rifle.

351 Win in an old Winchester Model 1907, 35 Remington in a lever, 358 Win in a short action bolt, 35 Whelen in a long action or single shot or if you want a classy classic, a VL&D 98 Mauser in 9x57.

All those 35 cal cartridges are great woods guns.

351 Win in an old Winchester Model 1907, 35 Remington in a lever, 358 Win in a short action bolt, 35 Whelen in a long action or single shot or if you want a classy classic, a VL&D 98 Mauser in 9x57.

I agree, but dont discount the Win 71-348

Well- If you wanna be that specific, I'll dance.
If a guy wants to stick with the ol' lever gun, the Savage 99 in 300 Savage is nice, but a bit... pedestrian. I may choose a Winchester Model 88. Lever action, but locks up like a bolt action. While it came in a few calibers, for this exercise, I think the 358 Winchester would raise the level to that of a connoisseur.

Well- If you wanna be that specific, I'll dance.
If a guy wants to stick with the ol' lever gun, the Savage 99 in 300 Savage is nice, but a bit... pedestrian. I may choose a Winchester Model 88. Lever action, but locks up like a bolt action. While it came in a few calibers, for this exercise, I think the 358 Winchester would raise the level to that of a connoisseur.

A pre-64 88 in 358 Win would be the ultimate eastern woods gun.

Thanks for the reply’s all your reply’s have been helpful. I like the .30-.30 but was curious if the 30-06 would be a better choice since it’s the practically same bullet only going faster or is that speed bad at short distances. I’m new to rifles so Sorry for the stupid questions.

Hard to argue with the classic lever action for a brush gun, but I have a soft spot for my 7600 in 30-06! Not the best for consistency down field but it handles well and can follow up quick if needed.

A pre-64 88 in 358 Win would be the ultimate eastern woods gun.
But now you have to find the right scope to match...

While modern optics are far superior, it just seems that a VX5 on top Mdl 88 would look like curtains in an outhouse.

Redfield Widefield (TV view) 2x-7x?
Leupold MX8 in 4x?

Mine (Pre-64 .308) has a Leupold 2-7, w/ a heavy german post. Most importantly, it has that beautiful plum/purple color phase patina. To me, it just looks right.

Thanks for the reply’s all your reply’s have been helpful. I like the .30-.30 but was curious if the 30-06 would be a better choice since it’s the practically same bullet only going faster or is that speed bad at short distances. I’m new to rifles so Sorry for the stupid questions.

Try the 30-30 again with Partitions.

Never, ever, ever, buy a 30-06. Never. if this isn't clear, call me. 503-668-3006.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back