Caribou Gear

Best all-around

Golden Retrievers. They retrieve gold!

Great hunters for both upland and waterfowl. Real similar waterfowl hunters to a lab, but I think they are generally better upland hunters than labs are. And I prefer the golden over the lab around the house. I've owned both, but will have guldens from here on out.

My friend has a year old Drahthaar that I hunted sage grouse and chukar with a bit this year and she was impressive... If I couldn’t have my labs I’d go bearded all the way.
I gotta say, I love labs but there’s no comparison in abilities as an all around IMO. Where did he get his?

I gotta say, I love labs but there’s no comparison in abilities as an all around IMO. Where did he get his?
I honestly can’t remember where he got her, but she was fun to hunt with. She and Sitka are good friends so we actually hunted them together on grouse, she ranged out and he worked close. It was fun, but there’s no question which dog had the better hunting abilities. I still love my big goofball though.

Last edited:
I have both American Labs and Drahthaars. Drahthaars are far more intelligent.....to the point you have to think ahead of them and anticipate what they might do........like them moving a trash can closer to a fence to aide in hopping over it....climbing a chain link corner (No lie), unlocking gate latches etc....

The Draht temperment is similar a lab, but can be a bit sharper---defensive-----plus they point and track blood, feather and fur. They are NOT like the GSP...

Super dogs!

Best description of an Airedale is the "Swiss Army Knife of Dogs." Sure like mine, worth a look.

Boykin excellent on blood trails, early danger ( bear ) warning, bear distractor when tranquilizing, quiet and rides well in canoe, airplane, sled, snowmobile and retrieves both field and river. Does not work in harness with sled dogs, but gets along with them well. Lives in the house with us without issues

Back