Best all-around

RyeGuy74

What are your opinions on the best all-around hound breed? In the field and in the home

Labs for me. Although my last dog was a Brittany. Loved that dog, but dang “chill” was not something he understood! I called home the “cat dog”. Never hunted him , but tried to train him. He was a good pointer, but was the only dog I ever had that would fetch.
C65CD3F6-0F84-442F-8D1D-53CD1EF71F2C.jpeg

I've had two I could recommend, female Black Mouthed Cur. One of those one-person dogs that was really eager to please. I could teach her anything and she caught on quick.
I had a Male Weimaraner that worked out well. They were originally bred to live with the family instead of in the kennel, but still be a high prey drive sharp gun dog. Mine would sack out until it was time to work and fit right in with the family, three kids, me, the wife, and another dog. We have one of those old type houses, small with a large garden. For a large dog, he got around well in a crowded house and caused few issues. He took very little training, I rarely had to scold him for anything. Good breeding pays off. A really good hunting partner who anticipated my wants and instinctively knew what to do. The only issue I ever had with him was he was sometimes an iffy retriever when he was working with other dogs. My Weimaraner had an outstanding nose, almost unbelievably keen sense of smell, better than many pure scent hounds. A story I like to tell, I was sitting in my Jeep and he was sacked out in the back. I was glassing a likely uphill slope, just doing some scouting. All of sudden he jerks awake, stands up in the back seat snorts a couple of times and points out the open window. I'm glassing the field trying to figure out what set him off and eventually spot a Fox near four hundred yards off sitting behind a fence post. I was amazed. He did have an intensive dislike of Fox. Kind of like the Terriers I have now who hate Rodents.

I personally like Leopard hounds, I’ve only had one and he recently developed some serious health issues (Addison disease), but he is gamey, track driven little hound, that is eager to please. He has treed coons, bobcats, two lions, squirrels, and will fetch and take to water like a champ. I hate it that he is not yet five and having health problems.

Soft spot here for Chessies...great gun and family dogs IMHO. My last one was all chest, would hit the duck ice like a Russian Arktika!

English labs from a reliable breeder. Chill at home, machines in the field. Good noses, good drive, many have a natural point, great on the retrieve, water retrieves, great in cold weather, a kids and family favorite personality. Only downside is they run hot - fine for up here, but could imagine trickier in the south.

Drahthaar. They are like multi-sport Olympic athletes.
I don’t own one, but have a buddy with one and have seen it (and others) in action enough to know they are tip of the spear.
I own a Lab and a Border Terrier, love em both and wouldn’t trade em for anything.

Back