Best all around caliber for the Tikka T3x Lite in Montana

Ditch the PRC and get a .300 Winchester. Ammo will be far easier to obtain, and it really doesn't give up much to the PRC. I know a guy with two brand new Christensen MRP's and he can't feed them. mtmuley

Ditch the PRC and get a .300 Winchester. Ammo will be far easier to obtain, and it really doesn't give up much to the PRC. I know a guy with two brand new Christensen MRP's and he can't feed them. mtmuley
Yeah the MPR’s are sweet rifles but you’re right find ammo or even brass for that matter is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have a just enough to get by for another year of hunting season but that’s only if I shoot it three or four times during the year. I hate having a rifle like the Christensen and not being able to use it fairly regularly. Now this issue is wm or wsm I guess. I wonder if a lot of rifles still have the feeding issue with the wsm? Idk why I’m fixated on it but I’ve never had a short mag. Haha maybe it’s just the appeal of something I don’t have. Thanks for your input!

Hey guys,
I’m moving to Montana and looking to pick up a new rifle for hunting in the area. I have a 7mm-08 that I love using and a Christensen 300 PRC. I’m thinking about selling the 300 PRC and getting something that I can buy ammo for more regularly and not have to reload all the time, it’s a great rifle I just don’t have as much time to reload anymore. What are your thoughts on 300wm or 300wsm. I have a 7mm so I think it would be nice to have a 30 as well. Any suggestions?
Unless just looking for an excuse to play with another gun I’d just run the 7mm-08

Unless just looking for an excuse to play with another gun I’d just run the 7mm-08
The easiest/cheapest way to go!! Can't think of anything in MT that I'd not hunt with a 7-08.

For me, I'd likely not sell the 300 PRC for something with more factory ammo options. Now and for the foreseeable future, I cannot see that as being a plus due to lack of availability of most all ammo. If you have a load for it figured out that you and the rifle like, one afternoon would allow you to load plenty of ammo. IMO, you'd spend more time finding even more "available" ammo on a shelf or on line that likely is not as good a fit for the rifle as your loaded ammo. 'Twer the ammo situation more "normal" I may change my opinion, but I doubt it.

I too am trying to decide between a Tikka t3x lite or superlite in 308 or 30-06. My only concern for going with '06 is the recoil. Seeing as though i cant even find on on the shelf to look at (let alone try to shoot). I am curious if there will be a measurable difference in recoil

I too am trying to decide between a Tikka t3x lite or superlite in 308 or 30-06. My only concern for going with '06 is the recoil. Seeing as though i cant even find on on the shelf to look at (let alone try to shoot). I am curious if there will be a measurable difference in recoil
I own t3 lites in 243, 7mm-08, 270, and 300win. Also shot a buddy’s 308 t3 lite. Obviously bullet weight and powder plays a huge effect on this but I haven’t felt much difference between the 270, 308, and 300 win. Not great but not horrible to shoot considering how light the gun is. 7mm08 and 243 are really easy to shoot. However the 300win with 180gr hornady superfornance ssts were impossible to shoot. Neck and shoulder will never be the same. 180gr factory nosler accubonds shoot great.

My two cents, OP states he has shot a borrowed 270 and can shoot a 12 gauge shotgun. I guess I would ask what did you shoot in the 12 gauge? If you lived in a state that required shotgun slug hunting for deer and that is the recoil you have handled then no issues choosing any rifle cartridge you mentioned. NY used to be shotgun slug only and went to rifle. I chose a 30-06 and compared to the slugs I shot in my 12 gauge the recoil was not much. If you only shot light shot shell rounds then maybe the 7mm-08 is a better choice.

Personally of the 30-06, 308 and 7mm-08 you will not go wrong with any of those. If you have shot 270 rifles before don't discount that fine cartridge.

If I were to put those 4 rounds into a My Preference (everyone has their own opinion) list for a Tikka T3X Lite (I am assuming you aren't looking at the SuperLite) they would be 30-06, 7mm-08, 270 and then the 308. If you are thinking a SuperLite I would switch it up to 7mm-08, 308, 270 then the 30-06. Again my preference.

Of those 4 calibers you can't go wrong with any of them, and Tikka makes a fine product.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

With a T3, I’d prefer a .270 over the .308 for what the original poster has described. Both will typically have relatively low cost and available ammo as well as less recoil than the .30-06. Since all Tikkas are long actions, I’d go with a long action round. I have a .270 T3 Lite SS that shoots darn near everything I’ve tried into sub MOA groups, and I’ve settled on the 150 Partition in this rifle as my do-anything load. I’ve added a limb saver pad and the rifle is a joy to shoot. My 14 year old daughter is comfortable with it. This setup checks all of the boxes for the OP.

Funny thing about these best for the west cartridge's. I've lived in the west most my life, Oregon, Montana, Colorado and Alaska. Strange thing people coming out here think they need something special in a cartridge to hunt, you don't! Might be hard to believe but there are guy's out here that hunt with a bow! And pretty much everywhere now and then I run into some guy filling his freezer every year with a 30-30! The best cartridge for anywhere in the west is one you shoot well. In Oregon, the 243 is legal for elk but I would not suggest it. Then again if it was all I had, I would use it with confidence. Killing game anywhere is about placing a good bullet properly, little else! Properly though means you have to take into account what bullet your using and how to place it to it's best advantage and get into an acceptable range with it.

Back