Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best all around caliber for the Tikka T3x Lite in Montana

Why? mtmuley
Because for many new shooters building up to recoil is a good approach. Some new shooters will develop a flinch with 30-06 level recoil, making learning to shoot harder. Ideally new shooters should start with 22lr and just get comfortable shooting and then maybe move to .223 or .243, but that’s not what op was asking so I stuck to his parameters.

Guess I never considered the .06 as having heavy recoil. mtmuley
There are studies that show recoil effect on newer shooters above 18ftlb which depending on load the 30-06 meets or exceeds. Even for those that don’t self report as recoil shy recoil above 18 ftlbs has been shown to reduce accuracy.

I don’t view my 300wsm as heavy recoil either but I have been shooting for 40 years and would still rather shoot a 7mm08 if it will do the job I am trying to do.. My advice for new shooters is start low and work up. Experience and data suggests this is good advice.

Because for many new shooters building up to recoil is a good approach. Some new shooters will develop a flinch with 30-06 level recoil, making learning to shoot harder. Ideally new shooters should start with 22lr and just get comfortable shooting and then maybe move to .223 or .243, but that’s not what op was asking so I stuck to his parameters.
I'm guessing you took swimming lessons...amirite?

VG, I grew up in a different time. We shot the Hell out of our .22's, then right to the .06 to hunt big game. I guess grooming new shooters is a good idea. mtmuley

I just told my daughter the other day that I went from a 22 to a 30-06 right after my 12th birthday, which was about a week before my first bear hunt 😀

I went 22lr to 30-30 to 12gauge as a kid - recoil not really an issue for me, but I did do 22lr to .223 to 20ga to 7mm08 to 12ga to 300WSM for my son and was never an issue for him either. Many ways to skin a cat, but I do think recommending magnums (and even the venerable '06) is sub-optimal for introducing late onset hunters to centerfire rifles. Get grounded and then go for RUM :)

Get grounded and then go for RUM :)
I'd never recommend a magnum to any new shooter. The .06, yeah. With lighter bullets recoil isn't bad. The big magnums are a whole other animal. My kids used a .270 and later the .06 a bit. They didn't inherit my infatuation with big bullets going fast. mtmuley

I'm more newer to hunting than shooting. Mostly with the M4 (still a smaller caliber, but the military digs it), a bit with the 12ga, and some other random firearms here and there.

I'd never recommend a magnum to any new shooter. The .06, yeah. With lighter bullets recoil isn't bad. The big magnums are a whole other animal. My kids used a .270 and later the .06 a bit. They didn't inherit my infatuation with big bullets going fast. mtmuley
I know you don't - but one of these days I am going to get one just to see what you like so much about it!

I'm more newer to hunting than shooting. Mostly with the M4 (still a smaller caliber, but the military digs it), a bit with the 12ga, and some other random firearms here and there.
M4 is near zero recoil. But all the cartridges you are looking at will be fine.

I was leaning pretty heavy towards the 308, then the 7mm-08 got a lot of support on here. From what I gathered, if I'm right, it has a tad less recoil, might shoot a effectively a little further and flatter, but the 308 hits a bit harder and the ammo is cheaper and more widely available and with more options. Is that accurate? Anything else I'm missing between the differences between the two?

Lots of reports of 7mm-08/Barnes 120 TTSX and 308/Barnes 130 TTSX shooting through elk on broadsides....take your pick. :) I've owned one 7mm-08 but several .308s. I have neither now, but if I did it again, I would do the 308/Barnes 150TTSX on elk myself,

I’ve only done a small amount of hunting with a 270 (borrowed),but I’m moving to Montana and really want to get into it more and hunt everything there at some point or another. Elk, deer, bear, hopefully moose at some point. I’ve been looking at rifles and am probably going to go with the tikka t3x lite in stainless steel but I’m having trouble deciding the caliber. The 308 and 30-06 are what I’m stuck in between right now, but have heard the 7mm-08 isn’t bad either. It looks like the 30-06 might be able to shoot effectively further, but the 308 is easier to shoot better because of the lower recoil and less likely to develop a possible flinch. And I don’t know much about the 7mm-08. And if I’m wrong about any of that, please let me know. Recoil on my 12g doesn’t really bother me until I’m on the third box of shells if that’s any useful info on relevance to recoil.

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for your time.

Easy. .30-06

I was leaning pretty heavy towards the 308, then the 7mm-08 got a lot of support on here. From what I gathered, if I'm right, it has a tad less recoil, might shoot a effectively a little further and flatter, but the 308 hits a bit harder and the ammo is cheaper and more widely available and with more options. Is that accurate? Anything else I'm missing between the differences between the two?

The 7-08 is a good round. Don't get me wrong. But the ammo isn't available everywhere. A lot of places, but not everywhere. If you were a realoader, i'd say gopherit. But, there really isn't any noticeable difference to me in the .308 and 7-08 on recoil and there sure as hell isn't any difference on game. Both are capable for all listed.

The .30-06 will be bit more but certainly not a heavy recoiling round. The stock on the T3 doesn't fit me for squat so, that wouldn't be my choice. I'm assuming you've fondled a few to decide which one fits you the best? In a Tikka there is ZERO advantage to get a .308 over a .30-06 since all the actions lengths are the same. Plus, in the 06 you can shoot 130-220gr bullets and not skip a beat.

It really doesn't matter which caliber. If you are staying within 400 yards they will all kill anything, ammo is easily available for all three calibers, there is minimal difference at normal hunting ranges. If we are going to split hairs anyways:

7mm-08 is probably slicker than the others giving better long range ballistics, lighter recoil which will probably make you shoot better

30-06 has more case capacity and does better at lobbing heavier bullets

I do think Tikka makes a great gun. Light, smooth action, and most importantly, they shoot pretty good out of the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back