Beside myself: edit story included

with joy. I couldn't be happier with a first rifle buck. Thank you Wyoming!!View attachment 155588View attachment 155589

And sorry, I suck at pics

So the story:
So I parked in the HMA parking area, decided to head south, there was 2.5 miles of land I could hunt. I walked about 300 yds to a hill top to glass and found a buck on a ridge about a mile away, and some does below him in a basin. He dropped off the ridge out of sight and I high tailed it in his direction. About a quarter mile in i look up, and theres a medium sized buck looking at me 150 yds away. I am looking at him through my binos, and he's looking at me, and looking back down hill, I figured at some does. Well it wasn't a doe, next thing I know a second buck walks into view and as soon as i saw him my mind said that's the one. So I have my rifle in a gun bearer, no round in the chamber, bipod legs are stowed. I release the rifle, load it and open the bipod as fast as I can and drop into shooting position. When I do, the 2 bucks run over a hill and one runs back up to the top of another hill and stands still at what I'm guessing is 300 yds away, i had no time for the rangefinder. I almost shoot, but can tell through the scope that that isn't the right buck, or is it? Then a second buck comes up the hill, and im sure that he's the right one, put the crosshairs on his shoulder, and squeeze off a shot. A second later my ears hear that wonderfully horrible thwack of bullet hitting body. The 2 bucks start up hill for a few feet, the turn and go downhill out of sight. After a few seconds a single buck runs up and over a hill several hundred yards away, no other buck is with him. Hoping for the best, but realising that I never really got a good look at him, I told myself that any buck is a good buck and it's meat in the freezer as I walk up and over the hill, finding him 25 yds from where I last saw him. Victory! Buck is down quickly, I did my job. Then as I approach my quarry, I am in disbelief, at what I saw. All I wanted was a decent sized buck with nice cutters, some mass and a heart shaped rack. Holy crap he's everything I wanted and more. I cried over the loss of life, smiled over the beauty of this buck i worked so hard for 3 days for and then filled with pure thankfulness. Im still on cloud 9
Congrats on a fine buck Bigjay! Certainly the way to kick off the "freezer fill for 2020".
What's next for that rifle?...deer?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back