Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Bergara Trigger Change

Losing_Sanity

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I searched the forums but did not find anything that helped.

I have a Bergara B14 rifle and I am not crazy about the trigger. So I am considering a trigger change. Has anyone swapped triggers on a B14 and what trigger do you prefer/like?

Per my research, I gathering any trigger for the Remington Model 700 will work. I am leaning towards the Timney Trigger. I have used them in the past and have no complaints. Also, the cost of Timney Triggers seems reasonable and I don't have to skip lunch to afford one.

I appreciate any thoughts on the subject?

I haven't looked at changing the trigger on my b-14, but it is my understanding that you are correct about it being compatible with Remington 700 platform parts.

I’ve heard very good things about trigger tech - and the premiere line from Bergara comes with the stock if you want to try one out at a local shop.

I haven't looked at changing the trigger on my b-14, but it is my understanding that you are correct about it being compatible with Remington 700 platform parts.

From what I have read, it is basically a clone of the Remington 700 so should be okay. I don't know if anyone has had a problem with swapping it or not.

From what I have read, it is basically a clone of the Remington 700 so should be okay. I don't know if anyone has had a problem with swapping it or not.

My dad put a Timney Calvin Elite made for a Remington 700 in his B14. It’s a sweet trigger, and he had no issues installing it.

I like the trigger that came in my own B14. I thought about swapping in a Triggertech, but really haven’t felt the need. What do you dislike about yours?

Last edited:
My dad put a Timney Calvin Elite made for a Remington 700 in his B14. It’s a sweet trigger, and he had no issues installing it.

I like the trigger that came in my own B14. I thought about swapping in a Triggertech, but really haven’t felt the need. What do you dislike about yours?

It's not the premier series and I haven't been able to get the trigger below 4 lbs. I'm not sure what the rang range is supposed to be, I'll have to find the manual. It's really not an issue, but I want to try to tighten up my groups. I generally like my trigger pull around 2.5 to 3 lbs.

Last edited:
It's not the premier series and I haven't been able to get the trigger below 4 lbs. I'm not sure what the rang is supposed to be, I'll have to find the manual. It's really not an issue, but I want to try to tighten up my groups. I generally like my trigger pull around 2.5 to 3 lbs.
If you only goal is to get to 2.5 lbs, triggertech, timney and jewel will get you there. But if you prefer single stage vs two stage, or are very particular about pull characteristics there are differences between them - you would need to test them out to confirm you personal preference. I prefer triggertech and timney for hunting, I also prefer single stage. Maybe incorrectly, but have viewed jewel as more of a target trigger.

If you only goal is to get to 2.5 lbs, triggertech, timney and jewel will get you there. But if you prefer single stage vs two stage, or are very particular about pull characteristics there are differences between them - you would need to test them out to confirm you personal preference. I prefer triggertech and timney for hunting, I also prefer single stage. Maybe incorrectly, but have viewed jewel as more of a target trigger.

Thanks for the input.
I'm definitely in the hunting category for a trigger. I'm going to look closer at the Triggertech and see if I can find a sale on them, maybe Midway USA.

I've put Timney triggers in several of my rifles. All have been great.
I recently bought a B14 Ridge. I've been happy with its trigger. So far, no reason to change.

The Bergara saga continues...

A some months back I took the rifle to a gunsmith to have a crack along forearm of the stock repaired and have it glass bedded. l could have done the work myself but I was frustrated and didn't want to mess it up. It was a gunsmith I have never used and was not familiar with, but I figured I would give him a try since the one I usually use was not available. A friend recommended I try this new guy. I got it back and it looked okay.

I went to the range and shot it, shot pretty good. Got pretty nice groups. However, yesterday while cleaning the rifle I figured I would make one more attempt to adjust the trigger before ordering a new Triggertech. I could not get the rifle to separate from the stock. I was afraid I would break something after about 45 minutes of trying and gave up.

I just got back from a more reliable gunsmith. The one I usually go to. He called me in about 30 minutes after I left and stated that the bedding job was crap. The glass was not mixed properly and did not set right, the guy couldn't have separated the stock from the rifle because it was stuck to the barrel, and the separating agent has not been cleaned up. The guy didn't even remove stock material to allow for the bedding to have some thickness. The current gunsmith sent me pictures of the poor craftsmanship. What a mess.

Well, I paid for an education... I'll never go to that guy again and I called the friend that recommended him and told him what had happened. I advised him to never go to that guy again.

This gunsmith (who builds his own guns and makes parts and is reliable) is going to clean it all up, repair the original stock crack properly, and pillar bed the rifle.

The Bergara saga continues...

A some months back I took the rifle to a gunsmith to have a crack along forearm of the stock repaired and have it glass bedded. l could have done the work myself but I was frustrated and didn't want to mess it up. It was a gunsmith I have never used and was not familiar with, but I figured I would give him a try since the one I usually use was not available. A friend recommended I try this new guy. I got it back and it looked okay.

I went to the range and shot it, shot pretty good. Got pretty nice groups. However, yesterday while cleaning the rifle I figured I would make one more attempt to adjust the trigger before ordering a new Triggertech. I could not get the rifle to separate from the stock. I was afraid I would break something after about 45 minutes of trying and gave up.

I just got back from a more reliable gunsmith. The one I usually go to. He called me in about 30 minutes after I left and stated that the bedding job was crap. The glass was not mixed properly and did not set right, the guy couldn't have separated the stock from the rifle because it was stuck to the barrel, and the separating agent has not been cleaned up. The guy didn't even remove stock material to allow for the bedding to have some thickness. The current gunsmith sent me pictures of the poor craftsmanship. What a mess.

Well, I paid for an education... I'll never go to that guy again and I called the friend that recommended him and told him what had happened. I advised him to never go to that guy again.

This gunsmith (who builds his own guns and makes parts and is reliable) is going to clean it all up, repair the original stock crack properly, and pillar bed the rifle.

Wow!! This type of thread seems to be more and more popular these days! Many so called gunsmiths out there these days but nothing but hack jobs and terrible work from them.
For what it’s worth it definitely pays to use a reputable, quality gunsmith. Some do charge a little more but most the time you get what you pay for!
I’m sure the new gunsmith will be able to clean it up and fix it all for you.

Good reason to do it yourself. It’s not hard.

Good reason to do it yourself. It’s not hard.

You have a good point and I could have, however, as I stated I was already frustrated that I had a cracked stock and didn't want more aggravation if I messed it up. For me it is a nice rifle and I figured I would just get have done.

My mistake was I didn't wait for the right guy to do the work...

Just got my rifle back! This gunsmith done a fantastic job of cleaning up and fixing the mess from the first gunsmith (term used lightly). He pillar bedded the stock, cleaned up and fixed crack, cleaned stuck bedding material off the action and barrel, adjusted the trigger pull, and centered the barrel in the stock. Looks great! Cant even tell where the crack was unless you know what your looking for. He showed me the bedding job and it looks like it was meant to be that way from the factory. Real clean and crafted. I cant wait to go to the range and shoot it. I may not need to buy an aftermarket trigger. Total cost for his work $360. Well worth it for the job he did. I don't know what the going rate would have been elsewhere, but I'm more than happy.

I finally broke down and bought a Jewel. I’ll never go back. Worth every penny. Vastly superior design compared to any aftermarket triggers I’ve tried in the past.

I’ve shot them all and prefer Trigger Tech. I have Diamonds in my match rifles and Specials in my hunting rifles except for my Model 7 it has a Timney.

Back