Bergara called me a pansy - Any ABQ area 300WM Shooters to prove it?

I have the same Bergara rifle in 300 win. and it shoots Barnes 165 grn TTSX under and inch. I know another person mentioned the Barnes ammo as well.

Friend of mine in Cheyenne has a bergara back at the factory right now. It won’t eject spent brass out of the receiver. I’m not impressed with their answer to fix it. They sent him the parts to try to fix it. He put the new spring in. Same crap. He emails them and they gave him a label to send it in. Warned him it’s long lead times for repairs. Just speculating but I’d say they got a pile of them coming back to be fixed. He shoulda bought the rem 700.

Friend of mine in Cheyenne has a bergara back at the factory right now. It won’t eject spent brass out of the receiver. I’m not impressed with their answer to fix it. They sent him the parts to try to fix it. He put the new spring in. Same crap. He emails them and they gave him a label to send it in. Warned him it’s long lead times for repairs. Just speculating but I’d say they got a pile of them coming back to be fixed. He shoulda bought the rem 700.
It's funny, I was at Sportman's today and the employee stocking the ammo mentioned having an issue with a my same exact rifle in 300WM. Said after 12 rounds it failed to eject and bolt was extremely sticky, so now it's at the gunsmith...

OP, I'm pretty sure you'll be happier in the long run, if you sell the rifle, cut your losses and get something else. It sucks, but chances of un-sucking are low.
I'm well beyond the point of logic and reason ;). I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

If you think I'm being unreasonable now, just wait until you see my next update...

It's funny, I was at Sportman's today and the employee stocking the ammo mentioned having an issue with a my same exact rifle in 300WM. Said after 12 rounds it failed to eject and bolt was extremely sticky, so now it's at the gunsmith...

I'm well beyond the point of logic and reason ;). I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

If you think I'm being unreasonable now, just wait until you see my next update...
Throwing a new barrel on there?

I’m of same mind as Dougfirtree. Cut and move. But my circumstances put anything that results in time drains high on cut list.

Let me ask - how do you see this playing out? Even if your test works and you send them the target pics?

I’d think hard about getting another GS to spin on a new barrel and maybe a new cartridge. I’ve found 7mag to be all the recoil I enjoy shooting. In my experience, 30 cal mags and larger are like Kentucky Fried Chicken. They sound good until you bite into them.

I’m of same mind as Dougfirtree. Cut and move. But my circumstances put anything that results in time drains high on cut list.

Let me ask - how do you see this playing out? Even if your test works and you send them the target pics?

I’d think hard about getting another GS to spin on a new barrel and maybe a new cartridge. I’ve found 7mag to be all the recoil I enjoy shooting. In my experience, 30 cal mags and larger are like Kentucky Fried Chicken. They sound good until you bite into them.
Three experimental outcomes:
1 - the issue is me and I use the opportunity to get better
2 - it was a scope issue
3 - it was the rifle all along

Depending on those results, I'll at least have proof to re-engage Bergara. I really hate how large corporations can take money from the working class and not have to hold up their end of the bargain. If that scenario happens, I'll have exposed their business practices in a transparent manner.

I'm aware that this financial experiment won't pay off - it's all about principal at this point.

Is Bergara a large corporation? Or is this actually the best they can do? I suspect the latter.

Hit it and quit it playa.

Welp...

put a Nightforce on there and got 4 rounds of Federal Powershok 180gr through to sight in/foul. This happened after the first cartridge of Winchester Deer Season XP 150gr. Obviously some pressure issues...

NateT that I mentioned did not return my message. He was one of their top guys in CS so that may mean something, may not.

Having said, that, you already said the barrel/throat was tight, and now have clear pressure signs with factory ammo. Bad juju.

Pressure signs or a rough chamber?

I, and if I recall @noharleyyet, had a similar issue with the brass gripping the walls of the chamber and being stuck from the roughness, preventing the bolt from coming back.

I noticed that you get the bolt up easily, which is exactly how my rifle did it. If it were excessive pressure it’d be a harder bolt lift.

Did you eventually get it out? What did the brass look like?

It’s a shame a company can’t stand behind their product when something like this happens. There are bound to be a few that slip by QC but at least make them right when a customer has legitimate issues.
A simple rebarrel would solve your issues I’m sure.

My money would be on a rough chamber.
With the bolt unlocked, slide a solid cleaning/brass rod down the bore and give it some light persuasion. You should be able to see marks on the brass where it's hanging up.
Honestly though, I'd be either sending that rifle down the road or rebarreling it. Not worth the hassle.

Pressure signs or a rough chamber?

I, and if I recall @noharleyyet, had a similar issue with the brass gripping the walls of the chamber and being stuck from the roughness, preventing the bolt from coming back.

I noticed that you get the bolt up easily, which is exactly how my rifle did it. If it were excessive pressure it’d be a harder bolt lift.

Did you eventually get it out? What did the brass look like?
Chamber Tooling chatter just forward of the belt. Smith diagnosed, polished…presto, smooth as silk ejection, no belt lift. .257 wby mag.

Back