Beretta A300 anyone?

Wild Bill

Currently in the market for a new shotgun. Anyone have any experience with the Beretta A300? I played around with them at the store and they shoulder nicely for me and seem to be decent guns. Obviously at ~$825 they're not top notch, but I'm just looking for something as kind of a beat to hell/no frills gun.
Thoughts? Experiences?

Edit: Talking the newer A300 Ultima not the Outlander

Last edited:
Last month I was in the market for a autoloader.

Several hit my radar from the A300 Ultima, the Winchester SX4, Benelli M2, franchi, Stoeger and a few others. Including the Impala Arms.

The Impala arms dealer for Minnesota is a guy 6 miles from my house and pretty much where I spend most of my gun fund.

My cousin has the Super black Eagle I and it’s been an awesome shotty. Just the top of the money range. SBE is 3 1/2” capable whereas the M2 is only 3” shells.

When I went and looked at reviews on these two in the link, the M2, the A300 Ultima etc, I was able to pick up both the Impala and the alpha arms for the same price as the A300 Ultima.

The A300 Ultima is a gas gun. You can’t put a magazine extension on it for added capacity for upland game/3-gun etc. there were/are issues that were had with the trigger and lots of people are mentioning that it’s taking forever to get service from Beretta. Biggest reasons that steered me away from the A300 Ultima

The SX4, M2 and Alpha arms silver Eagle all have or are able to have extensions for an 8+1 magazine.

IF I had to do it all over again, I’d have stuck with a Winchester SX4 to be honest. Namely because of what if spare parts are needed. I attempted to use a brownells dent removal tool to get rid of the dimples restricting the magazine to 4+1 on the alpha and its 0.920” in diameter. The tube on the alpha seems to be metric and is like 0.900”. When I took the flare out of the magazine tube to allow removal of the follower for easy cleaning, I jacked up the threads enough, easily removing the thread cap is no longer possible. Namely just expanded the tube enough to make it larger than the magazine cap for reinstalling. Not sure how/where to get that replacement magazine tube that would just screw into the receiver. It’s like pulling teeth from a chicken to get service parts on Turkish imports it seems.

Winchester SX4 is the same ball park as the A300.

Don’t skip over the Stoeger M3000 or the Franchi or montefeltro (cheap Benelli) shotguns either

Last edited:
My Beretta 3901 (precursor to the A300) has given me a decade of reliability. It’s exactly like you said…nothing fancy, no frills, but just works. Goes bang every time you pull the trigger, shoulders well. Checks all the boxes. A buddy has the A300 and same story for him. Been plenty happy and has had no issues.

If I were going to buy a new 12 gauge today, it would be an A300.

The A300 is a gas gun. You can’t put a magazine extension on it for added capacity for upland game/3-gun etc. there were/are issues that were had with the trigger and lots of people are mentioning that it’s taking forever to get service from Beretta. Biggest reasons that steered me away from the A300.
The extra capacity is irrelevant to me, but I did see that as a complaint by some. Also, the trigger issues seem to be hit and miss. Lot of complaints about them, but also a lot of 5 ⭐ reviews. Sounds like they've got some fine tuning to take care of before this model could be considered great.

The extra capacity is irrelevant to me, but I did see that as a complaint by some. Also, the trigger issues seem to be hit and miss. Lot of complaints about them, but also a lot of 5 ⭐ reviews. Sounds like they've got some fine tuning to take care of before this model could be considered great.

Yeah, I’m wanting it for 3-gun and gaming so a magazine extension capable shotgun was important. That combined with the trigger issue on a gun that had been on the shelf since release had me shy away.

So easy to find other models and makes that fit the same bill for the same price points.

I have the a300 outlander in 12 and it's been good. No issues whatsoever. I hear the Ultima has some issues. I also have a benelli montefeltro in 20 gauge. Also a great gun. I can recommend both. The benelli is more money but you get polished blued steel barrel and fairly plain walnut and inertia. The a300 is plastic and mat finished and gas. Less maintenance on the benelli but they kick more than gas guns.

I have an Outlander and use it for waterfowl hunting, nothing fancy but it has been reliable. The gas guns help to take some of the recoil out of heavy waterfowl loads.

The A300 is the budget version of the former AL391. The 391 was arguably the best gas gun ever made. I've seen MANY people (self-included) put 10's of thousands of rounds through them with zero issues on the clay fields.
I wouldn't hesitate.
Where would an AL390 Sport fall into the hierarchy of gas guns?

I was given one years ago thats seen some clay shooting, dog training chukars, and one duck hunt but it's primarily relegated to a loaner gun for friends and family to use. Curious if I should be giving it more love

I had a Remington V3 before this gun and prefer the A300. Heard the Remington had a problem with one of the parts breaking on the bolt and it was hard to get a replacement due to the Remington bankruptcy. The A300 is a swamp queen!

Where would an AL390 Sport fall into the hierarchy of gas guns?

I was given one years ago thats seen some clay shooting, dog training chukars, and one duck hunt but it's primarily relegated to a loaner gun for friends and family to use. Curious if I should be giving it more love
the 390 was the predecessor to the 391. As a stand-alone model, it is a good shotgun.

I edited my post….

The A300 I was looking at was the Ultima.

I don't know if this would be much help but I have an A300 Xtrema, which is the brief 3.5 inch version of the A300 they made. I love this shotgun, I believe I bought it in 2014 or 2015 and it has always been extremely reliable even in the coldest of days. The only issue I have found is when shooting light loads, but usually this can be remedied by cleaning the shotgun or using heavier loads.

If anyone is in the market, I have a brand new A300 Ultima in box (28" barrel, 12 gauge). Won it at an auction and now just taking up space in my gun closet. I would give a good deal. DM me if interested, I'm out chasing NV deer the next few days if I don't respond.

I have goose hunted with an A300 Outlander 12 gauge for years. Never a problem. I intentionally got it knowing it would get pretty beat up. It is a good shotgun for the price.

If anyone is in the market, I have a brand new A300 Ultima in box (28" barrel, 12 gauge). Won it at an auction and now just taking up space in my gun closet. I would give a good deal. DM me if interested, I'm out chasing NV deer the next few days if I don't respond.
PM sent

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back