Yeti GOBOX Collection

All Around Shotgun

Fit_Sasquatch

Looking to buy a new shotgun. I’m looking for a good all around auto loader that I can use for every upland bird and that will chambered in 3” or 3 1/2”. I’ve been looking at the CZ 1012, Benelli Super Eagle lll (expensive af), Beretta A300 or A400, weatherby 18i And finally the EAA MC312.

ive only shot two from the lost above, MC312 and A300. I’m not trying to break the bank but I also want to buy a quality gun that I can put through the paces. Any thoughts? Experiences? I’d appreciate it!

thank you!

Go with an m2. You dont need the 3.5" chamber. Another option is to look into Franchi it's a sister company of Benelli with similar components at a little more affordable price. I've got a couple benelli and franchi no regrets whatsoever worth every penny. Ive got a sbe2 if I ever replace it I'll go with the m2 no need for the 3.5" and I use it for waterfowl every weekend all season.

Buy once cry once. Benelli's will put a strain on your bank account but they'll also go through hell and back.
I don't personally think 3.5" is all it's cracked up to be. I don't think it's practical to spend the extra money on the shells for waterfowl hunting. Maybe for turks, but I'd be willing to bet I can kill em just as dead with my 3" 1-7/8th oz #5 Long Beard XR shells and a Carlson turkey choke tube as good as anyone shooting 3.5"

I have owned a lot of different shotguns and hunted/fired mine more in 1 year than most will in a lifetime.

Your going to have a hard time beating the Winchester SX2 SX3 SX4 or Browning Gold Hunter or Browning Silver Hunter.

You couldn't give me a benelli. Well, you could, but I would sell it and buy a Winchester...

Last edited:
I just sold my SX3 for a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus. I think for an all around shotgun it checks every box. Can shoot and cycle everything from trap loads to turkey loads with the 3.5" chamber.

Shooting trap with it is easy on the shoulder with the Kick-Off system. My impression so far is that I am very impressed.

That being said if you don't care about 3.5" loads or the little extras get a Montefeltro, M2, or a Franchi Affinity. The Affinity is a solid gun for the money.

Look at a retay auto. They have been out for a few years and are getting great reviews. They are inertia but have a locking bolt do you don’t get the Benelli click. Some shotgun experts (Wakefield) says they are better built than Benellis and at about half the price.

Problem is not Sporting good stores carry them, you can get them from Gunbroker. I don’t have one because I want to hold and shoulder a gun before I buy it. Do some research on them.

The only thing negative I have ever heard is they are a couple ounces lighter than Benellis and 3.5 inch shells have stiff recoil. That is an easy fix as I have killed tons of geese with 3 inch shells. Good luck.

I shoot the Beretta and have an old Rem Wingmaster as a backup lol... you don’t “need” the 3-1/2, had killed a jillion ducks, geese, pheasants, and turkeys with the old
2-3/4 Rem long before I bought the Beretta. I like to call, not sky bust and dead is dead, otherwise I’d own a 10ga lol... save your money (shells) and your shoulder!

Another vote for the M2 here. I've put mine through hell and back, and it still works like the day I bought it. Yes they are expensive, but they are worth it. They are consistently listed as one of the best semi-auto shotguns in production. They will handle loads to kill dove and quail, but also heavy loads for big geese and predators. They are light enough to hike with in the mountains for grouse or chukar, but heavy enough to help handle the recoil of heavier loads. I went through 4 different hunting shotguns before I ponied up and bought an M2 and I will probably never buy anything else. It does it all for me.

When I'm ready to upgrade from an ATA Neo (Weatherby clone), I'll be picking up a SX4. Also agree with other, no need for 3 1/2" shells.

I shoot a lot at the range and in the field. About six years ago I had to upgrade my goose gun from 1968 Wingmaster Magnum to a semi because of retina detachments. I chose an old A5 Magnum for a couple of reasons. First it is heavy. Lightweight waterfowl guns are almost silly. Most of us just sit with it when hunting and get to the spot in a vehicle or boat. Also, a light gun doesn't swing as well as a heavy one. And of course a heavy gun has less felt recoil which is very important. Finally, I had a fixed modified A5 Light Twelve pheasant gun since 1972 and was familiar with it. But of course I doubt you will be considering buying a classic old relic that's been out of production since 1998 (too expensive to manufacture and be market competitive). The point is twofold: 1) You do not need 3.5" shells. I regularly shoot triples on geese with 3" BB @ 1550 fps. Monday I knocked down four honkers pass shooting with just five shots all at 50+ yards. 2) Look for a heavier gun ... if you can find one. My old gun is a bit over the top in that category but I still prefer to carry it pheasant hunting for six weeks in Montana every year (for whatever reason the Light Twelve shoots higher).

Finally, there is recoil to think about. Obviously, for health reasons that is a big consideration for me, maybe not so much for you. But unless you shoot a lot and get acclimated to it, harsh recoil will take a toll on your performance, if not your physical wellbeing. A few weeks back at sporting clays a primer exploded backwards (weird!) and pieces jammed up my A5. We were at the last rabbit station and one of the fellas loaned me his Benelli inertia auto to finish up. I never missed a target with a strange gun. He said I should retire the antique and invest in one of those. No thanks! Of course the first thing I noticed when I pulled it off the rack was the light weight. Then the recoil! Boy, did that gun thump me (1 1/8 oz @ 1250 fps). I simply can't imagine shooting goose loads through it. I have shot a borrowed Beretta auto at the range a couple of rounds and they certainly are smooth, quick, and soft. Very popular at the club but I have seen some issues and Stoeger provides very poor product support for Beretta.

I have heard good things about both Remington and Wichester new autos. No one at the club shoots Remington but two guys have Winchester autos and they love them. ATA, the Turkish outfit that makes Weatherby's autos, has one of the better reputations for that country's gun makers. And most of the historically shabbier manufacturers over there have cleaned up their act a lot.

Curious about what "all around" use you will be putting this gun through?

I have a SBE II. Yes it was expensive, but not any more expensive than having 2-4 (inferior) shotguns. I ended up selling every other shotgun I owned and use the SBE for everything. I have never and will never regret that purchase. Further, I have no doubt that it could be passed to a grandkid 40 years from now and still get it done. It shoots everything from target loads to 3.5 goose/turkey loads.

I bought a SBE3 and love it. I like shooting the 3 1/2 for sandhill crane but have the option to shoot 2 3/4 for dove and quail. I don't think the 3 1/2 is too rough on the shoulder either. I got the 28" barrel for waterfowl but it hasn't been a problem hunting other species.

The upfront cost is a hurt on the wallet but like others said you by once cry once. I've dropped it in the muck but a good cleaning and back to new. Real easy to take apart and reassemble.

For what it's worth my 17y/o loves it too, he's always asking to hunt with it over our other guns. If you're going to use it enough I think you can justify the upfront cost.

Looks like you are getting lots of advise. I would put as many shotguns in your hands and shoot them all. Here in central WI some of the big gun dealers hold demo events every year. I know I was able to shoot guns from Browning, Winchester, Beretta, and Benelli at the last one I attended. I really like the new Winchester SX4 or the Browning Maxus. Good luck.

I have had great experience with a Browning Maxus and my son with the fabarm xlr5. We mostly hunt waterfowl. As others have said, the 3.5" is unnecessary. I've had poor experience with the Remington 11-87.

I shoot a lot at the range and in the field. About six years ago I had to upgrade my goose gun from 1968 Wingmaster Magnum to a semi because of retina detachments. I chose an old A5 Magnum for a couple of reasons. First it is heavy. Lightweight waterfowl guns are almost silly. Most of us just sit with it when hunting and get to the spot in a vehicle or boat. Also, a light gun doesn't swing as well as a heavy one. And of course a heavy gun has less felt recoil which is very important. Finally, I had a fixed modified A5 Light Twelve pheasant gun since 1972 and was familiar with it. But of course I doubt you will be considering buying a classic old relic that's been out of production since 1998 (too expensive to manufacture and be market competitive). The point is twofold: 1) You do not need 3.5" shells. I regularly shoot triples on geese with 3" BB @ 1550 fps. Monday I knocked down four honkers pass shooting with just five shots all at 50+ yards. 2) Look for a heavier gun ... if you can find one. My old gun is a bit over the top in that category but I still prefer to carry it pheasant hunting for six weeks in Montana every year (for whatever reason the Light Twelve shoots higher).

Finally, there is recoil to think about. Obviously, for health reasons that is a big consideration for me, maybe not so much for you. But unless you shoot a lot and get acclimated to it, harsh recoil will take a toll on your performance, if not your physical wellbeing. A few weeks back at sporting clays a primer exploded backwards (weird!) and pieces jammed up my A5. We were at the last rabbit station and one of the fellas loaned me his Benelli inertia auto to finish up. I never missed a target with a strange gun. He said I should retire the antique and invest in one of those. No thanks! Of course the first thing I noticed when I pulled it off the rack was the light weight. Then the recoil! Boy, did that gun thump me (1 1/8 oz @ 1250 fps). I simply can't imagine shooting goose loads through it. I have shot a borrowed Beretta auto at the range a couple of rounds and they certainly are smooth, quick, and soft. Very popular at the club but I have seen some issues and Stoeger provides very poor product support for Beretta.

I have heard good things about both Remington and Wichester new autos. No one at the club shoots Remington but two guys have Winchester autos and they love them. ATA, the Turkish outfit that makes Weatherby's autos, has one of the better reputations for that country's gun makers. And most of the historically shabbier manufacturers over there have cleaned up their act a lot.

Curious about what "all around" use you will be putting this gun through?
All upland birds and all types of conditions. I want a gun that will always work no matter the weather

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back