Yeti GOBOX Collection

Benefits of Cooling Antelope

WyoDoug

I am going to cover this again. Those who disagree, please be respectful in your disagreement because I do have biological evidence available to post to show it. There are benefits to cooling antelope as soon as you can.

The mean body temperature of pronghorn antelope is 42.1 celcus or 106.16 farenheight. Evidence here: https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article-abstract/56/3/698/848965?redirectedFrom=PDF
There are many other studies online that substantiate this.

When an antelope senses a threat and runs or chasing competitors off, the core temperature rises. In addition to that, antelopes' adrenal glands pump epinephrine, more commonly known as adrenalin into the blood stream and muscles. This gives the antelope a short term burst of energy that allows them to run at high speeds and for longer distances. This also affects the taste of the meat and the burn off of energy causes the body temperature to warm substantially. This is also why I will never shoot a running antelope. My preferred targets are resting antelope in the early morning and later in the afternoon. I will take a bedded antelope in a heartbeat.

Just at a resting situation, the 106.16 temperature of a pronghorn equates to a very high fever for us humanoids. So does antelope quickly have any benefit? I say it does. The warmer the meat is, the quicker it begins to rot. Some people have never experienced meat based food poisoning from antelope they carried arround in the back of their pickup for a couple hours. I have, four time and it aint purty. Randy's episode on dysentery is a mild example of what I went through.

Hints I would suggest to cool antelope if you can't hang it in the shade as soon as possible :

• Gut it asap. If you need an explanation of why, talk to a butcher or biologist.
  • Remove the hide. The hide holds in heat and there are glands in the fat under the skin that affect how well the meat will taste. Cover it with a full size game bag to protect it from flies and insects.
  • Keep it out of sunlight. No explanation needed.
I do not recommend deboning until after the rigor phase has passed and you can flex the leg muscles freely. If you can cool the carcass down as a whole carcass or even halves that is better than quartering and deboning. If you debone too soon, the meat is going to want to contract and it will be tougher and more grissly than you may want. By cooling as soon as possible, I prefer to do it immediately. That is me. I have a huge cooler I can put a whole carcass in. I remove the hide, put it in a game back, and into the cooler with frozen 1 liter soda bottles on top. I also put some of these jugs in the body cavity. Once I get it home, I hang it in an insulated shed out of the sun.

Now, if I had a late season antelope license where I can hunt in November/December time frame, all I would do is gut and skin the animal and put it into a game bag. The temp then is cold to freezing so cooling is achieved just by skinning and gutting.

Now I realize some will jump on the bandwagon that they do it different. That is cool. This is the way I do it and I am willing to do a side by side taste testing some day to prove it. Once of them challenging is going to happen at my elk hunt. I will post the results. In this case, someone said they won't eat antelope because it is way too gamey. I will prove them wrong just by doing what I suggest here.

So what’s your point ? A long winded bunch of personal preferences is all that was which is totally fine but I wish I had those 2 minutes back . Haha jk have a good day

What do you find is the typical time frame for rigor to pass on an antelope?

Hope I get to test this out in October!

Thanks Doug. Im headed on my first antelope trip in a few weeks and found it useful.

Quartering in the field is fine but then let it hang or relax for at least 24 hours to get out of rigor.
Ice jugs in the chest cavity helps cool the whole animal pretty well too.
Pretty surprising how well laying a carcass opened up or quarters on top of a sage bush with a gentle breeze will start the cooling process in just a short time. Then transfer to a cooler with ice jugs.
I too cringe when I see uncovered animals in back of trucks, sunlight is not the friend of your fresh meat.

Steve Rinella has a podcast with meat scientist that was pretty interesting and went over a lot about this

What do you find is the typical time frame for rigor to pass on an antelope?

Hope I get to test this out in October!
Rigor mortis, which is cadaveric rigidity starts to develop within 1-2 hours and lasts roughly about 12 hours. If you can keep a carcass whole and don't plan to age it, waiting to the next day to butcher is usually plenty time to get past this.

Steve Rinella has a podcast with meat scientist that was pretty interesting and went over a lot about this

Exactly. Never cut into meat until the rigor phase has passed. Enough evidence out on that now to understand why. Furtherest I would ever do is quartering if I had to but not deboning. Quartering is usually OK because you are cutting between the muscle groups and related joints but the tendons that connect them to the bones. I have never had issues with the backstraps or tenderloins though as far as rigor goes but have had issues when I cut up the hind and front quarters too soon.

The buck I shot last year, I watched it for nearly 3 hours from my blind. I shot it while it was bedded. The temperature was cool, nearly freezing. It kind of flayed around and broke my arrow, but didn't run or move far from where it was bedded. I put that in the cooler with ice. That meat melted in my mouth just bout when I ate it. I had people eat it that swore up and down it was NOT antelope because they "KNEW" what antelope tasted like. They asked for care packages. What I think contributed to that:
  • Antelope was resting and had not ran or chased off competitors in over an hour
  • Antelope had not had a chance to run at all
  • Carcass was cleaned out with cold water and I removed the hide within an hour after I got home (20 minutes away)
  • Meat was cooled immediately
  • I did not butcher that meat until two days later which was a Saturday so rigor passed and it got a little bit of aging in
PS: I also got a doe out of that same herd within an hour after that. Some how they came back to where I killed the buck. Never had that happened before. I am pretty sure it was the same herd I took the buck from.

Last edited:
Furtherest I would ever do is quartering if I had to but not deboning. Quartering is usually OK because you are cutting between the muscle groups and related joints but the tendons that connect them to the bones.
From a standpoint of letting muscles go through rigor before cutting, there is little difference between full on de boning and cutting a quarter off the carcass. Either way, you are severing an attachment point at one end, which allows the muscle to shorten without any resistance.

I for one love antelope so much that I don't want to waste any meat for a side by side taste test by not cooling it as soon as possible. Antelope is my favorite big-game for eating deliciousness. 🤗

Interesting thoughts on cutting before rigor, most of my kills in the last 10 years I've cut off the bone immediately in the field and haven't noticed any problems with toughness, assuming that is what is affected. I have read studies on pork that say you should hang them by the aitch bone in the pelvis rather than the shank so the rear legs can hang loose for more tender hams. Next deer maybe I'll bone one side in the field and pack the other side out on the bone for comparison, definitely like meat on the bone better for hanging to age.

Interesting thoughts on cutting before rigor, most of my kills in the last 10 years I've cut off the bone immediately in the field and haven't noticed any problems with toughness, assuming that is what is affected. I have read studies on pork that say you should hang them by the aitch bone in the pelvis rather than the shank so the rear legs can hang loose for more tender hams. Next deer maybe I'll bone one side in the field and pack the other side out on the bone for comparison, definitely like meat on the bone better for hanging to age.
Where I really notice difference is in the top round, bottom round and the calf muscles. Those are the tougher cuts anyways. When I hung them for at least a day, those pieces were fairly tender comparatively. The calf muscles seemed to be a lot better when I left the shanks whole and cooked them like a roast there was major difference. Shanks are probably the toughest cuts in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back