Yeti GOBOX Collection

Being a Better Conservationist, and Public Opinion

FairWeather

TL;DR - How can we all be better, more proactive, conservationists as sportsmen?

I am interested (and maybe some of you are too) in how I can be a more active/proactive conservationist.

I have taken part in a few organized habitat clean ups, and have cleaned up a few spots on my own, but in the grand scheme that doesn’t help much.

There’s the money I spend in PR funds, licenses, tags, etc. that go towards funding conservation work, but that’s completely passive. To say paying that makes me a conservationist is taking some liberties with the definition, I feel.

Last night I heard someone speak at a public comment meeting with ODFW, and I was both deep impressed and lightly perplexed by their passion for wildlife conservation. This person is a well respected hunter and owner of an archery shop. They were really laying into the ODFW rep about the season dates for this year’s general season (among other things), which due to the way the days of the month fall is going into the rut. They also had strong opinions about the change a few years back to change buck season to any visible antler, rather than fork or better.

To me, not yet having found success in the deer woods, both of these are things that have been a source of optimism leading into this fall. Hope that perhaps this year I will finally get on a buck, even if it is just a spike. Now, I’m questioning the ethics of it. It would help me, yes…but it also helps everyone else, and that distinctly does no favors to the deer population. If I’ve had this hard of a time finding the deer BEFORE this season, how much more difficult will it be in the years to follow?

Should I personally opt to not hunt the rut, even if it means eating my tag? Likely no one else will. Classic tragedy of the commons.

Accepting, and advocating for, that harder to fill tag/season for the trade off of healthy populations in the future, that seems like more impactful conservation to me. Doing so loudly and visibly, I imagine, would also help to improve the public perception of hunters on the whole as well. It’s too late for this year, but not too late to potentially influence next year.

I’m not meaning to insinuate that this work/action isn’t being done nationwide, merely that perhaps it isn’t in the public eye as much as less flattering depictions of hunters.

My ultimate question is: What are some ways you all have found to be an effective conservationist, and what impact have you noticed?

My ultimate question is: What are some ways you all have found to be an effective conservationist, and what impact have you noticed?

I have many thoughts on your OP as a whole, but something I believe is critical is what I would call "anti-internet conservation". The internet has been incredible for disseminating information, mobilizing comments and getting folks to show up, etc. But I get the sense, that the wins we have seen and will see moving forward will be built upon relationships. Not the kind you make on social media or hunting forums, but the kind that happen when souls are in the same room. When I talk to "locals" face to face, talk to them about chunks of earth we share knowledge of, get to know "decision makers" by first name, listen to their audible words - there's far more sway in those kinds of connections than the too-easy and naive conservation often envisioned .

TLDR: When exploring and advocating for issues around conservation, get to actually know the folks involved regardless of who they are, and avoid like hell the injection of politics into the cause at hand.

Last edited:
TL;DR - How can we all be better, more proactive, conservationists as sportsmen?
I think this is a very good question that we as hunters should continue to keep asking ourselves. It seems as if the tag purchases and conservation memberships are only putting you on par with people who are already there. I'd argue that some conservationists and long-time hunters should keep asking this question.

Granted, my introduction to conservation started two years ago. I have no room to dismount long-time conservationists, but merely propose new ways of saving the habitat. If WY and CO winters taught us anything, is that animals need human voice more than anything. Haven't seen a pronghorn show up to a commission meeting yet..

Should I personally opt to not hunt the rut, even if it means eating my tag? Likely no one else will. Classic tragedy of the commons.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but no, go hunt it. I think 'how' you hunt is more important. I also think that being an advocate of limiting permits during rut hunts is just as important, and we as the public need to push this more. If I had a rut tag, I'd pursue the most mature deer that I could find and be okay eating the tag if all i found were forkies. Tall order for a dude who hasnt got one yet (me), but sacrifice now and prosper later.

But, people need to eat too, so weigh your pros and cons there I guess.

Good post, following to get some 'grey-haired opinions'.

As far as hunting the rut: Do it.

They're blacktail and managed for opportunity.

You're doing a great job of getting engaged with conservation while learning the ropes of hunting. That's more than most folks ever do. I know it's frustrating early on, but keep building connections with coordinators and managers. Show up and engage. You'll be ahead of 90% of hunters just by doing that.

I think this is a very good question that we as hunters should continue to keep asking ourselves. It seems as if the tag purchases and conservation memberships are only putting you on par with people who are already there. I'd argue that some conservationists and long-time hunters should keep asking this question.

Granted, my introduction to conservation started two years ago. I have no room to dismount long-time conservationists, but merely propose new ways of saving the habitat. If WY and CO winters taught us anything, is that animals need human voice more than anything. Haven't seen a pronghorn show up to a commission meeting yet..

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but no, go hunt it. I think 'how' you hunt is more important. I also think that being an advocate of limiting permits during rut hunts is just as important, and we as the public need to push this more. If I had a rut tag, I'd pursue the most mature deer that I could find and be okay eating the tag if all i found were forkies. Tall order for a dude who hasnt got one yet (me), but sacrifice now and prosper later.

But, people need to eat too, so weigh your pros and cons there I guess.

Good post, following to get some 'grey-haired opinions'.
Sounds like we’re in the same boat. I just started hunting 2 years ago myself.

I’m taking a friend out this year for his first time ever. Recently while talking with him about the rules, regs, what’s allowed what’s not etc. for hunting and fishing he stated “the more I learn about this stuff, the more I’m convinced they really don’t want you to actually get anything.” It made me chuckle because it can certainly feel that way.
Now I’m starting to think that really is, or should be at least, the intention behind the management policies. For certain hunts and fisheries, at least.

I often compare hunting to gambling. The likelihood of winning is pretty slim, but really it’s chance that you might win that’s the exciting part anyway.

As far as hunting the rut: Do it.

They're blacktail and managed for opportunity.

You're doing a great job of getting engaged with conservation while learning the ropes of hunting. That's more than most folks ever do. I know it's frustrating early on, but keep building connections with coordinators and managers. Show up and engage. You'll be ahead of 90% of hunters just by doing that.
Thanks, I appreciate that, and your take on hunting the rut.

Personally, I have found that when a person is passionately against something that has just changed, it isn't because they have any knowledge of how that change might affect things. It is usually because "That aint the way we have always done it, so it's gotta be bad". On the east side of the cascades, killing spike has been legal a lot longer than I have been hunting and I have never heard anyone complain about that. Now it is legal to kill spikes on the west side and a lot people seem to think it is going to decimate the population. It isn't.

This year's season ends Nov. 10. I hunt the late muzzle loader season whenever I can draw a tag. Traditionally that season would run from around Nov. 10, to a few days into Dec. I would see very little rutting activity until the latter part of the season. That little bit of extra time in early Nov. during rifle season this year, will likely have good hunting weather and the deer will be concentrated in their wintering area, both of which will help a little in getting a buck, but other than that it won't change much. My muzzle loader season, however, runs from Nov. 18 to Dec 10 this year. I'll be hunting the rut hard this year.

Personally, I have found that when a person is passionately against something that has just changed, it isn't because they have any knowledge of how that change might affect things. It is usually because "That aint the way we have always done it, so it's gotta be bad". On the east side of the cascades, killing spike has been legal a lot longer than I have been hunting and I have never heard anyone complain about that. Now it is legal to kill spikes on the west side and a lot people seem to think it is going to decimate the population. It isn't.

This year's season ends Nov. 10. I hunt the late muzzle loader season whenever I can draw a tag. Traditionally that season would run from around Nov. 10, to a few days into Dec. I would see very little rutting activity until the latter part of the season. That little bit of extra time in early Nov. during rifle season this year, will likely have good hunting weather and the deer will be concentrated in their wintering area, both of which will help a little in getting a buck, but other than that it won't change much. My muzzle loader season, however, runs from Nov. 18 to Dec 10 this year. I'll be hunting the rut hard this year.

As well, some of these units have OTC archery hunting during the rut. A few days of rifle pressure later in the season won't wipe the age class out for a single year.

@gouch @FI460 I’m sure you’re both right. You’d know much more than I would at any rate. That particular scenario/anecdote was just to get across what sparked me thinking about this.

That’s the incidence where it will affect me the most, but I assume there are other similar scenarios playing out across many states. It just got me thinking what our role is, or should be, in the bigger picture.

Attempt to influence various governing bodies to more intentionally limit or remove prime opportunities?
Personally opt out of such opportunities when they risk excessive adverse effects on the game population?
Trust that the agencies know what they’re doing, and it will all be ok?

I guess I’m more so wondering about navigating the line between what’s legal and what’s right.

@gouch @FI460 I’m sure you’re both right. You’d know much more than I would at any rate. That particular scenario/anecdote was just to get across what sparked me thinking about this.

That’s the incidence where it will affect me the most, but I assume there are other similar scenarios playing out across many states. It just got me thinking what our role is, or should be, in the bigger picture.

Attempt to influence various governing bodies to more intentionally limit or remove prime opportunities?
Personally opt out of such opportunities when they risk excessive adverse effects on the game population?
Trust that the agencies know what they’re doing, and it will all be ok?

I guess I’m more so wondering about navigating the line between what’s legal and what’s right.

I don't have a definitive answer to any of that, but just thinking about it important.

One thing to remember on hunting boards is that many other western hunters are talking about spot and stalk hunting mule deer. Totally different from big timber blacktails.

But it's great that you're learning about the mule deer issues as well. You'll be applying to hunt them on the west side sooner or later. In our state I'm of the opinion that we're over generous with tags for most mule deer hunts. The herds are struggling in many units and not enough is being done to address that.

I'll still apply for the tags and hunt them if I draw them. Bur I'm going to advocate for reducing the numbers of those same tabs.

Limiting prime opportunities is something I've gotten behind. Everyone loves to support the youth hunters, but meh. I think we're too generous there. I'm sure odfw would claim that the number of tags given for prime opportunities is minuscule, but it definitely expands pressure across an already wide season.

I don't think we need more late season hunters in the Dixon unit running deer around in the snow just as an additional prime opportunity.

Back