Yeti GOBOX Collection

Beginners luck

jeffraines

Surely everyone’s heard about or experienced the fabled “beginners luck” at one point or another.

I was just reading a thread over in the elk forum that got me thinking about it. I’m not one who believes luck. I like to think there’s something logically explainable going on rather than some random hand of fate sweeping through setting an opportunity into motion.

I think it has a lot to do with inherent inexperience, and a willingness to try things that a more experienced person might not bother with or overlook entirely. I think about all the times I’ve been hunting and written off an area - a ridge, overlook, gated road - because I may have went up there once or twice and didn’t see what I wanted to see and wrote it off. I know I’m not alone in this - we all like to think we’re really through when we hunt, trying to do everything we can to make an opportunity that we sometimes overlook the obvious, or write off an area because it appeared to be unproductive.

I bring this up because I think it’s a good reminder for us to keep our eyes(and minds) open. Just because we didn’t see anything in that basin yesterday/last week doesn’t mean that they’re not going to be up there today.

With that said, looking back I’ve had quite a bit of “beginners luck”... although in true beginner fashion(and such is the story of hunting in general) I was unable to capitalize on my opportunities.

Very first hunt - going out for grouse on state lands where honestly, they’re few and far between. I’m driving along checking this area out that I’ve never been and come to a blue grouse just chilling off a side road. It was in a no shooting area(target shooting that is, but I was too dumb to know the difference at the time).

Very first deer hunt - After striking out opening morning trying to hunt a black tail buck I spotted the week previous in a clearcut(facepalm), I ended up switching to a different area that afternoon that allowed any deer to be taken. As I’m busting my way through some sparse timber on my way to a clearing I found on google earth some 200 yards off I stop and take a look around because I feel like I’m being watched. There’s a doe standing broadside 30 yards away staring at me(felt like 30, more accurately it was 15 or less). When I went to reach for my rangefinder she bolted but was around for a good 45 seconds.

My first backcountry bear hunt. I was scared to spend the night alone in the backcountry to be honest. It was about 5 miles 2500 feet in to my spot. 300 feet down to the lake to get water and back up to camp and about 3 days after Labor Day... I didn’t expect much, and to be honest I wasn’t in shape enough. I was zonked after the hike in, barely hungry enough for dinner, didn’t eat much on the hike in. Got in and didnt even hunt the evening - spent it lounging around camp trying to get over being zonked. Woke up and decided that if I spent all that time hiking in, I’m going to at least glass some. Seen a couple high country bucks and a ton of does... when I notice an out of place shadow in some of the thick bushes. After glassing away and coming back it was gone... game on, except the wind was blowing my scent right to it. Blew it out, but made my way over the ridge and got to within 450 yards. I was zonked from the hike in still and still had barely eaten - the thought of dropping a thousand feet of elevation to recover the animal plus the fact that I had never shot over 200 yards stopped me dead in my tracks. This hunt lead to me getting comfortable out to 800 yards(steel, animals less) and also lead to me slamming food constantly while I hike now. I haven’t had this issue since.

What about you guys? What have you learned? Any good beginners luck stories? Surely some of yours are better than all of my missed opportunities!

I own a piece of property high desert hardpan. Used to be seasonally green in the draws from the watershed and gravity. But the state dug a canal along the property line that dried that up. A few dried weeds in the draws, pretty much barren Desert.
I pulled in to do some camping under the only tree and near a saddle between two hills. I was thinking of taking some Quail. Then zoom a Dove comes through the saddle right over my camp, a few minutes later another, then another and repeat. I limited out in less than an hour, had Dove for dinner, and limited out the next morning again in less than an hour. :) The first time I really ever went Dove hunting, I'd taken one occasionally before, but after this, I was hooked and was out for Dove every season afterward.

In the midwest whitetail hunting world Dan Infalt always talks about the new guy, or the young kid shooting the biggest buck on a property their first time out as a type of "beginner's luck". He says in these cases, a lot of the time it's because they get put in the spots that nobody else wants to go. Therefore they catch the big boy somewhat off guard because nobody was traditionally hunting that spot.

i would consider myself to be a complete beginner to hunting.
last year (2019) was my very first season hunting (big or small game). i never fired a rifle till i took my hunter safety the prior year.
*since i joined this forum just recently i didnt think to even share my 1st year hunting experience, but maybe i should do a write up.

basically my goals were to fill the freezer and get experience in the field. *(my BIL joined as well, exact same beginner as me)
i applied and drew tags for:
CO Elk cow 1st rifle
CO M.Deer buck 2nd rifle
CO Antelope Doe Late Rifle
WY Antelope 2 Doe's Early Rifle (before CO's 1st)
i also purchased NE late season Antlerless Only tag *(which comes with bonus tag in that unit)
In total i now had 7 opportunities in hand....

WY 2 weekend trips, both BIL and i filled our 2 Doe tags each
CO 1st rifle Elk hunt - i filled my tag mid-4th day of the season
CO 2nd rifle Buck - i filled my tag
CO Late rifle Antelope - again, got lucky as i had a tag for a unit with ZERO public land access, which i didnt know when i applied, being my first year and all. i pretty much had written this tag off, but with 3 days left in the season, i decided to go for a drive with my hunting gear just in case. not even 1 1/2 hour after i left my house in Denver, i get off I-25 freeway and see bunch of Antelope on some private land. At this point my intention was to go drive around and knock on some doors. i've never tried this before. so the very first Antelopes i see on private property, i see that the garage door is open and people are out. i pulled in, waved, talked for few min and just like that i was given permission to go ahead and hunt on their property. they had a young kid who was super excited to watch it all unfold from the front yard. 15 min crawl/approach and i had Antelope doe harvested. i thanked them, offered to gift some meat *they didnt want it*, and i was back home by lunch hour.
NE went out 2 weekends of the season on my tag, filling 1 each weekend, and my friend from work came along and filled a tag as well, so did my BIL.

so my very first season 7 out of 7 big game tags filled.

BONUS: during 1st rifle Elk season, BIL and i went into town to get some real food. on way back a Buck managed to hit my car after i came to near complete stop, he ran off perfectly fine. but few hundred yards up the road i could see police lights, thinking someone was pulled over for speeding? we pulled up so i could get a report for my insurance. Only Damage done was: right fender got dented in by the deer when he jump at my car from the side :) . and what do we see: some lady hit a little 2 point buck just 5 min earlier. we asked if we could salvage it?
LEO grabbed my license and told us to go and and get started. so while we harvested a 3/4 of a roadkill buck, he provided me with Salvage Tag.

so 8 big game animals on 7+1(salvage) tag in my first year hunting :)

In the midwest whitetail hunting world Dan Infalt always talks about the new guy, or the young kid shooting the biggest buck on a property their first time out as a type of "beginner's luck". He says in these cases, a lot of the time it's because they get put in the spots that nobody else wants to go. Therefore they catch the big boy somewhat off guard because nobody was traditionally hunting that spot.

The inverse to that is the kid getting placed on the hot spot because the camp wants to see him or her be successful in that first season. That's how my story went, at least.

I have a hard time believing in luck personally, which may seem strange being that I made a substantial portion of my income playing poker for a decade. When you think about it further, the fact that I relied heavily on odds and observation in my play while the vast majority of poker players rely on luck for theirs is precisely why I was able to do so.

I think the same principals apply in hunting. Sure there is plenty of success had by happenstance but the consistently successful hunter is not successful due to luck. They are successful due to skill, knowledge, and discipline.

My son took a buck muley less than two hours into the first day of his first hunt ever. I’m sure it was due to all the great advice I gave him, and had nothing to do with luck or his naïveté... :ROFLMAO:
I believe that. I totally believe that. Really.

I have a hard time believing in luck personally, which may seem strange being that I made a substantial portion of my income playing poker for a decade. When you think about it further, the fact that I relied heavily on odds and observation in my play while the vast majority of poker players rely on luck for theirs is precisely why I was able to do so.

I think the same principals apply in hunting. Sure there is plenty of success had by happenstance but the consistently successful hunter is not successful due to luck. They are successful due to skill, knowledge, and discipline.

The key word here is "consistently". It is EVERYTHING in determining the difference between lucky and good. I'd rather be good than lucky, 'cuz I'll probably still be good next time, but I probably WON"T be lucky.

I think luck is just a byproduct of sweat and hard work... unless we're talking about drawing tags ;)
Last year was definitely a "beginners luck" year for me. I had 2 OTC elk tags (archery bull and rifle cow) and somehow filled them both - don't ask me how haha. I learned that the months of research, the reps behind the bow, and miles in the mountains really paid off huge dividends for me... and as a result I'm enjoying elk burgers tonight!
The thing that keeps me up every night is wondering if I could repeat that success this year.

I think luck is just a byproduct of sweat and hard work... unless we're talking about drawing tags ;)
Last year was definitely a "beginners luck" year for me. I had 2 OTC elk tags (archery bull and rifle cow) and somehow filled them both - don't ask me how haha. I learned that the months of research, the reps behind the bow, and miles in the mountains really paid off huge dividends for me... and as a result I'm enjoying elk burgers tonight!
The thing that keeps me up every night is wondering if I could repeat that success this year.

A very wise man once said, "Luck is the residue of design", but I use it pretty frequently too. 😁

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back