Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Beginner Reloading set-up

Pedropistola

Howdy,

Looking for some tips on some reloading equipment. I've heard the starter sets aren't worth it. I've got about $500 to spend and am wondering what should get emphasis and what can be done without when just starting. Some tips on bench setups might he nice too. I'll be reloading mainly 270 Win and am looking forward to it after stsring at ballistics charts for a few years

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

I too chose to avoid the starter sets and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials
Expanding and Refining a Reloading Setup

Also, these youtube channels are useful resources:

Panhandle Precision

Johnny's Reloading Bench

Vaughn Precision

GunBlue490

gavintoobe

Plus BigFin has a nice 6 part series done with Nosler:

I am also just starting to get into reloading. I would look hard into Facebook marketplace or craiglist. I ended up picking up 2 Lee presses with miscellaneous dies, bullets, primers powder, and bullets for $300. While it didn't have everything I needed i found enough to get started and then found some nicer pieces I wanted to add without going to far past what a started set started at in price. It came with enough stuff that it was easily worth it just for the components to make over $300 worth of ammo on top of the presses and hardware

That's good to know, I actually picked up a used set of 270 does that appear to be in good condition, and some 30-30 does that have some loose screws in the case... Not so sure about that

That's good to know, I actually picked up a used set of 270 does that appear to be in good condition, and some 30-30 does that have some loose screws in the case... Not so sure about that
Like a loose set screw for the locking collar? Post a picture, dollars to donuts someone here will know exactly what it is.

I have had one for almost 30 years, works for me
This is very intriguing. 30 years says a lot and looks like good reviews if that matters for anything anymore. At that cost it might be worth trying and using until it stops meeting my needs, if it does

This is very intriguing. 30 years says a lot and looks like good reviews if that matters for anything anymore. At that cost it might be worth trying and using until it stops meeting my needs, if it does
I believe a world record was held once by a chap using one.
I was teaching a friend how to use one once, he ran out of the room when I started to use a mallet!

Plenty of videos on YouTube

I use a basic RCBS rock chucker and a Hornady lock n load. Some of the best add ONS in my opinion are the balance scale to double check loads or use as primary for just a small run, and an RCBS collet type bullet puller. You'll accumulate stuff like you wouldn't believe so storage and a large bench are your 2 best friends.

I believe a world record was held once by a chap using one.
I was teaching a friend how to use one once, he ran out of the room when I started to use a mallet!

Plenty of videos on YouTube
I was wondering if it effected accuracy at all vs. a press but I guess that answers my question!

Most of the quality reloading tools will outlast the fellow that uses them, so do not be afraid to look for good used stuff. A good press (like a Rockchucker), manual scales (RCBS 5-10, etc.), dial calipers, and most of the other odds and ends could be purchased used for $200 - $250 on ebay or other similar sales sites.. As mentioned above (see post #2) reloading manuals are very useful.

As you gain experience over time you might want to add other tools such as electronic scales, case trimmer, powder thrower, etc.

I was wondering if it effected accuracy at all vs. a press but I guess that answers my question!
If you opt for this method I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you buy a real reloading scale and powder trickler! Those little scoopers just aren't consistent plus if you're using data that doesn't volumetrically align with that scooper you're going to have to guess if you're actually getting the correct volume needed. Basically when I get Lee dies I toss those scoops in a draw and never look at them again

Sounds like I've found another great way to spend money "saving money" but being an entry level ballistics nerd I'm looking forward to getting a load dialed in. I can tell storage and organization will be key, especially if I start loading more calibers, i do have a couple others

I have been using Lee Anniversary Challenger kit for years now. I have putting out some great ammo for my rifles and revolvers.
That's the kit I got my sone to start on. Everything in it will work and it does make as good of ammunition as anyone else's. I don't recall any kits around when I started so I bough individual pieces as I could afford to. Tell you what, buy a kit. I really doubt there is a bad kit out there, pretty much what one will do, so will the rest! Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

In that Lee kit when I got it for my son was a scale I didn't like much but truth is it did work, so much for not liking. Also the kit was missing a dial caliper. Not expensive and you actually need one. Could be you could get those case trimmer's Lee used to have, maybe still does, and get away without a trimmer. As you progress your gonna figure out what you want and then get to replace something in your kit. I'm pretty sure everyone else's kit are good kits also but also sure if you take care of the Lee kit it will work fine for a long time.

When I started I got a Lee kit. I had reloaded my entire life when I was living at home. I relaxed a few of the Lee items with other brands. In hindsight I should have just spent a bit more $$$ and went with RCBS or hornady

There's so many 'upgrades' you'll need to become more precise and quicker loading. I think my funky little RCBS scale gets more use than anything else. I have a Charge Master and always double check the weights. I also use a bench mounted powder dump and check the load every 10-20 loads. I double/triple check loads using my Hornady Lock n Load. All done with the little POS balance scale.

If you opt for this method I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you buy a real reloading scale and powder trickler! Those little scoopers just aren't consistent plus if you're using data that doesn't volumetrically align with that scooper you're going to have to guess if you're actually getting the correct volume needed. Basically when I get Lee dies I toss those scoops in a draw and never look at them again
If you use the scoop (I used to when I first started and its adequate) there are 2 ways to get an accurate load, scoop powder, then gently flick the scoop with your finger twice, that is accurate, or don't flick, just use a bit of paper and level the scoop.

However, later to speed up the loading process I bought a RCBS charge master.

Cheers

Richard

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back