Beginner looking for help

Mike

I have hunted for a lot of different animals but I am new to turkey hunting and need some help. What types of calls, decoys, camo guns/loads should I be using? I am hunting I believe for Rios and Merriams-is there any information about their behaviour out there?? Thanks for any help.

Mike, welcome to Hunttalk.

Turkey hunting is as complex or simple as you want it to be.
You can never have too many calls and yes decoys are in.I use three, a jake and two hens.
You first have to find an area where there are turkeys.
Find where they like to roost and actually roost them the night before by using some kind of shock call, eg. coyote, woodpecker, pea****,owl hooter or others.
Try to get close to the roost the next morning about an hour before light and get set up, camo is a must and I also use a blind.If you try to get to close you will blow them off the roost.
First light I like to do a little tree calling which is very light and slow yelps.
If the toms gobble back I quit calling till they fly down from the roost.
Try to have your decoys set up where the turkeys can actually see them.
Then you call a little and see if the toms answer back, if they do I call very little.
When the tom comitts and heads my way i quit calling and get ready.
Turkeys have great eyesight and see movement really well.DONT MOVE AROUND EVEN IF YOU CAN"T SEE THE TURKEY.
There are a lot of different variables when you are turkey hunting.Experiance is the best teacher of all.
Camo up, get yourself a few different calls, and have at it.
If it were easy, everone would want to do it.
What may work one time may only work one time. You just never know.
Fun= yes, Frustrating = yes
LIke elk hunting only the game is smaller and can see much better.
Maybe some of the other turkey chasers will add some more here cause I got to go get the kids.

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Mike, First of all welcome to the roost!! There is a great bunch of guys here.

You have been given some good advice on where to start. I would start out w/ some type of friction call. They are the easiest to learn and they are very effective. I would also buy a mouth call and start practicing. They are deadly when a turkey is in close. Second, you are going to need to pattern your shotgun to determine your effective range. There is a post down below about the shotguns being used. You can get an idea from that what guns and loads to use. Third get some camo and hit the woods. From there on out experience is the best teacher. It can be very frustrating!!! Just hang in there and you will catch on.

Decoys can be a big help. Any decoy will work. I like the hard body ones from Flambeau (sp). The featherflexes (sp) are very light and work great also. Check your states regulations before using decoys. In some states it is illegal.

If you have any questions just post them and someone will try to help. Good luck this year and let us know what happens.

Boomer

------------------
rabbit2.gif

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back