Beaver?

WildWill

I was hoping some one could help me identify some sign. Recently while deer hunting on property my family owns in SE Oklahoma I was using a creek crossing and noticed several sticks caught in the rocks that had chewed pointed ends. The last time I saw a beaver on that property was probably 20 years ago and my grandpa quickly jumped out the truck and shot it. I decided to explore upstream and towards the eastern edge of the property I found some sign not sure if it's beaver thought. Also just down from the sign on the neighbor's side I could see where a tree or two had fallen across the creek not sure if natural or not wasn't going to trespass to find out. Is this beaver sign. There are otters in the creek I see a lot but as far as I know they don't chew trees. Never seen a muskrat in the area.20181201_094825.jpg20181201_094237.jpg

Thanks I guess I'll have to dig out some traps. Anyone have any thoughts on how to target the beaver without catching the otters. I have a half dozen 330's and a handful of #3 legholds.

I'm not convinced it is beaver. Those teeth marks look a little small and narrow, more like squirrels (woodchucks) scraping for minerals or something. I don't think a beaver would stop at just taking a little bark, leaving it, than then coming back to scrape again, but not cut, after the wood had weathered a little.

I have beaver on my property pretty much every year, and they don't leave signs like that. I don't mess with them.

Are the trees chewed all the way around that fell, if so beavers.
Beavers are south of you in North Texas so maybe.

I have seen porcupines leave those kind of teeth marks on trees. Adult beaver are smart enough not to cut a tree through. They tend to know how to be efficient for feeding(not wasting energy). I have seen them just eat the surface bark. The one not so obvious stump in the picture that is the sapling that has been cut entirely off. That one looks like beaver to me. The lack of any type of beaver dam or pond in the area makes me think if it is a beaver it might just be passing thru the area. More pictures of sign would help identify if this really is a beaver.

Porcupine

Porcupine and woodchuck are not native to the area so they're out. I found several of the small pointed stumps like the one in 1st pic that I was pretty sure were beaver but I've never seen anything like the big tree before. There is a pond about 200 yards SE of where the picture was taken on neighbors place. I talked to the neighbor this evening and got permission to do some exploring. I'll head out and do some more investigating Saturday starting at the pond.

You may have beavers but I doubt that is what was working on that tree.

BTW, is the damaged part of that tree on the upstream side?

Well I did some more looking yesterday. The two large trees that fell across the creek upstream from the damaged tree had not been chewed they fell due to the bank washing out. I then made my way to the pond it became clear the closer to the pond I got there are beaver in the area. I found tracks scat and many chewed trees although non like in the original pic. There was tons of sign around the pond and adjacent swamp but for the life of me I couldn't find a den. All the trees that had been chewed were small no larger then my calf in diameter and most were willow. I'm not convinced the large tree in first pic is beaver and as long as they leave my big hardwood trees alone I'll leave them alone.

BrentD the chew marks are almost facing straight away from creek but slightly angled towards the downstream side.20181209_085329.jpg20181209_085324.jpg

Last edited:
I have read a couple trapping books where younger beavers will burrow out muskrat holes in the bank until they can get a den established. That may be why the tree collapsed into the river.

Adult beaver live in bank dens too. About 20% of the beaver I have trapped have been from streams and rivers that have banks 3 or more feet above the water line. The dens are usually located under or near a large tree or stump.

Beaver for sure. As far as how to trap them and stay away from otter I would use a baited set or a caster mound with the 330. #3 would be ok if you have plenty of water. Stay away from bank den, trail or run sets with a 330 as otter will use those too. Yes they are very good to eat also. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back