Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bears in NM unit 34?

darrengresham

So I drew a elk tag for 2nd archery unit 34 this year. It looks like bear tags are otc in that unit. But I’ve heard that you must have a valid elk tag to buy one if the bear tags. My buddy is tagging along on my elk hunt and was hoping to get a bear tag just in case. But I can’t find anymore info on the NM website. Does anyone know the rules? Thanks

I saw that. It says that unit is otc for bears. But on another thread a guy said it was otc only if you had a valid elk tag. But thanks for the info. I’ll call the number and find out I guess

No help with your bear question. I never tried to hunt bear.

I would advise you to look at a turkey license. I believe they are over the counter for the fall season. In 34 for elk a couple of years ago and turkey were everywhere.

Just might work as an alternative.

Darren, my understanding is your friend can hunt them OTC w/o an elk license from Aug 16-31. However, once elk season begins in September, you must be holding an elk tag to also hunt bear. So in the scenario you provided, your friend would not be able to hunt bear while you hunt elk for those dates unless he has a NM elk tag. He could hunt in Aug. Others, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is just my understanding.

J

I don't read it that way and would go off the F&G book.
Darren, my understanding is your friend can hunt them OTC w/o an elk license from Aug 16-31. However, once elk season begins in September, you must be holding an elk tag to also hunt bear. So in the scenario you provided, your friend would not be able to hunt bear while you hunt elk for those dates unless he has a NM elk tag. He could hunt in Aug. Others, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is just my understanding.

J
I don't believe that is correct. Where does it say that in the regs? It says you must use a bow, but I do not see where it says you need to have an elk tag.

ishoot, you're right. I don't see that worded that way after re-reading. I cannot remember the source I read and got that from. I would probably just call nmdgf just to be sure.

J

Ok guys. I just got off the phone with NMDGF. The lady I talked to said the bear tags are otc and an elk tag is not required to purchase. She said he can legally buy the tag and hunt bear with me while I hunt elk as long as bear is in season. But from what I’m also reading is that it’s not a very good bear unit. So not sure if it’ll even be worth him buying the tag.

You weren’t far off. She said some of the really good elk units like the Valle Vidal are like that. They only sell bear tags in those places as an add on to your elk tag

Saw 3 bears last season 1st archery in 34 that said only one I could of taken and honestly I decided not to get a tag due to I didn’t want to lose time if I did shoot a bear having to deal with it.

If your not picky on size of bull you should have no issue finding and shooting one in a couple days if you put in the time. I hunted the full 14 days and scouted a day before and honestly could of shot a bull just about every day if you count spikes and little rag horns. There are a ton of elk in that unit, I would say I saw more elk in those 15 days than a few years in other states.

Saw 3 bears last season 1st archery in 34 that said only one I could of taken and honestly I decided not to get a tag due to I didn’t want to lose time if I did shoot a bear having to deal with it.

If your not picky on size of bull you should have no issue finding and shooting one in a couple days if you put in the time. I hunted the full 14 days and scouted a day before and honestly could of shot a bull just about every day if you count spikes and little rag horns. There are a ton of elk in that unit, I would say I saw more elk in those 15 days than a few years in other states.

I can’t wait. With it being my first elk hunt I might pass on anything small the first couple days, but only because of the quality of that unit. But I’m really not gonna be that picky

I bought a bear tag once when a buddy held an elk tag. The plan was to kill the elk and hunt over the gut pile. Problem is, the elk was killed on day three and it took us two days to pack him out. Even if i had seen/shot a bear there's no way we had the strength and endurance to get them both out. So i ended up hauling a nine pound rifle all over creation for five days for no reason.

I don't mean to dampen any excitement and i know you've got the archery tag so your season is extended, but my experience is that the guy with the tag should focus on killing and the guy helping should go light and focus on helping. Bears are few and far between, relatively.

Years ago, there were quite a few bears in the area. If the western slope of the mountains has a good crop of acorns, there will be lots of bears there. One year when i lived there, hound hunters took 25 bears off the West Side Road area and I could have shot one, while hunting squirrels-but did not take a big rifle with me!

I have never hunted over there, but been there a bunch & have friends that live there.
One guy I know hunts bears & cats at the same time. But he has his house & equip. & lots of friends just in case....lol. I have also not seen a decent bear by him yet...way too small for me.
I have seen a few decent size bears in NM. Some places do have many, small bears.
Personally I would focus on filling the elk tag & getting meat home. It is warm in 34.
I used to hunt bears & bucks at the same time & would screw up a chance at a big buck, screwing with a bear...every time,lol.
But then again, I hunt alone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back