Caribou Gear

Bears (2) GilaMonster (0)

GilaMonster

I just got back from hunting with Tom in the Gila Wilderness. We hunted horseback with my two sons. Tom hunted Muleys while I was hoping to take a big bear. I won't go into Tom's details of the hunt as he will be wanting to tell his side of the hunt when he returns from hunting for a few days for whitetail in Texas. On the third afternoon of the hunt, I was bringing up the rear, when my oldest son Dusty, started saying "bear, bear, bear" in a low toned voice. I guess I had deer on my mind because it took a few seconds for it to register what he was saying. I got down off the horse and finally got my 338 out of the xipped up saddle scabbard and chambered a round as I ran to where my sons were glassing the huge bear running up the opposite ridge. I was too late, the bear vanished over the top as I got to the spot I could see him. We talked about it for a couple of minutes before I went back to the horse and unloaded the chambered round and zipped the rifle back into the scabbard. As I finished putting my 338 away, I looked across the canyon to see another bear running up the same ridge. Man, I nearly tore the scabbard off the horse getting my rifle back out and chambering another round. No, I wasn't fast enough, he also dissappeared over the ridge before i could settle the crosshairs on him. We saw no more bears on the trip. Did I have an actual chance? Hell, I don't know, but it's always neat to see bears anywhere, anytime. Both bears were absolutely huge! Who would ever guessed two large bears in the same area at the same time? Oh well, always next time.. :rolleyes:

That's a bummer you weren't able to get the cross hairs on one of them. Good story of what I would consider a successful hunt. Thanks!

That would suck..but then again, that's the way hunting goes. The heart is pounding, the legs are shaking and you can't get a shot for the life of you.. :D

Gilamonster did pretty good there. I was 3rd in line and I only saw the rear end of the second bear. It was a big rear end for sure!

Oh yea Nut, we had a fine time! My sons and I were discussing the adventure and I think we saw 16 Muley bucks, 6 Bull Elk and those 2 bears in three days. None of the Elk were shooters, but the bears were big and several of the Muleys were good ones. One of the Muleys was a "real toad", with about 27 inches + spread and good height and mass. A really good buck to say the least. :D

Back