Bearded Hen or Tom

mdcrossbow

Which one would you shot ?. I have a Bearded hen running around in a group of 27 hens. 1st bearded hen I have seen.

I'm a sucker for freak looking...go with the bearded hen. Unless you find a 4 bearded Tom :)

I have passed on the bearded hens since there isn't enough turkeys in our area to take a hen.

last spring I counted 5 bearded hens. I was told to wait for a tom. Low and behold I was eating my tag for spring turkey. I'm like bucnutz.wis, I start getting a itch to shoot when birds are around

My buddy killed a "Spurless" Tom last year. Not a bad bird....9 inch beard and about 22#s. He didn't even have nubs. We were on a draw hunt in Oklahoma. We first thought it could have been a bearded hen but it had all the head markings of a Tom. Checked it in with the biologist and he agreed it was a spurless Tom...Wierd

I have seen 10 or 12 bearded hens in my 40 or so years of turkle burd huntin...let them all walk ...but I might shoot the next one....and IF I see one in fall season, it is definitely DEAD!

All kind of weird burds out there just like people! My Gould has ONE 1/4" spur but an 11" bieard and weighted 24lbs. I got a jake Rio, my first Rio, because I couldn't see his beard or spurs but he had a FULL fan, I got a 25lb Merrium with a 9" beard and 1/4" spurs, I got two burds with spurs over an inch and a quarter that had less tha 6" beards.....

the bioligst in tn say bearded hens is where all you double and triple beard toms come from !!

I want to make a few wing bone calls and the her is the bird you want for the calls. We do not shoot the hens here just for GP, so I think I can wiggle myself into taking one with a beard. LOL

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back