Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bear-where on the mountain to hunt?

mthillrunner

I have been unable to get my 12 year old out for spring bear this year save for one time due to his baseball schedule. I have multiple spots I bear hunt so I’m not looking for advice on a spot per se. I have this weekend to get him out. I haven’t been out in 3 wks so I’m not sure of bear activity in my spots. I have creek bottom meadows in the bottom of roadless canyons I hunt & meadows higher up in the mountains. My question is this:would I be better off taking him to my creek bottom spot or higher on the mountain? Creek bottom is at 6400ft elevation and has 2 long narrow meadows in it, both meadows are 1-200yds wide & 600 yds long. It’s at the bottom of a big canyon with no road. Or do I take him higher up in elevation on a ridge with multiple meadows at 7400ft? Thanks much for any input, I’m just trying to maximize the weekend & haven’t been able to get out to scout. This is in SW MT

Last edited:
A lot of bears will be moving into lower elevations here soon, but last weekend I saw one at about 7500 feet and one at about 6000 feet so it is hard telling where they might be. If I had meadows to glass near water, I spose that is where I would be. In my experience, this time of year, they are also beginning to turn nocturnal, so first and last light will be your best friend. Hope this helps.

Personally I would look higher rather than lower. Look for the elevation with wildflowers poking up about 3-6 inches and just starting to bud.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back