Bear takes dive in Southern Idaho...Pics.

supersider34

Here is the bear I took today that was sitting on my bait when I got there at 11:00 a.m. I was walking in first before packing bait up. I wanted to get the honey burn going. I saw crows flying down and flying back up. I thought I caught movement over behind bait. I stopped and watched. Nothing. Then thought I saw it again. This time I froze in place at about 50 yds. I was like there could not be a bear because wind was blowing up the canyon. But bait is on the left side and I was coming in on the right. I then saw a bear stick his head up he sucked in a huge amount of air threw his nose. He did this several times. I moved fast to the right ide of the canyon. I didnt think he was that good of a bear at first as all i saw was a side view of his head. I thought at that time if he stands I would dump him. He had the rubbed head and thick nose. So I figured at this time he was good enough. Especially if he was guarding his food. He finally stood and turned and I nailed him. He didnt go 5'. I walked around the tree and there he lay. I left him there. Started my burn and put it on low and went back for bait. It was raining big time the whole time there. I figured around 5'4" when looking at him but he was all hunched up. Then when I got the 2 barrels of meat scraps and all my scent out I went and checked my trail cam. It had 99 movements on it. I thien moved the bear and was shocked. This bear got bigger the more I moved him. He is over 6'. I brought him back and weighed him live weight at custom meat shop I will be having them cut it up for me.So here is another question for all of you big bear hunters. :D I will post several pics of him. Here are the pics.
First me and bear. Sorry so dark.
287053.jpg

Second pic is with my wifes rifle I used.
287060.jpg

Third pic is just bear on tail gate.
287063.jpg

Last pic is with my fingers on his head to see the width of ears.
287065.jpg

Here is the bear from last year. He was the big boar that took my whole roll of film last year in one night. So bears do return. Like on Moosie bait sites.
171017.jpg

SS,

Congrats on your bear. He looks dang good to me. I'm no expert but I'm guessing 255 on his weight.

Again good job I'm happy for you Jerry. All the hard work paid off. I can't guess because Jerry told me on the phone what the weight was. The Bear is better then He looks. I will say I think the skull will score around 18 give or take a couple 1/16's with out seeing the bear in person. He looks like a chunk. again great job. Protect the Elk for the hunters.

SS, You are definately a killing machine. You guys seem to put in the time and get stuff. I'd drop the hammer on that bear in a Sec. that beng said, I have to Call BS on the over 6' comment. I'd lay a 'Hundy on it. Not trying to take away from your bear, I'd drop it..... I'm just calling BS between friends :p

You guys still hunting that area now ? Is your wife looking to smack one ? Kudos and Good luck. Looking foward to more pictures !!!

that thing has a great coat--if SS34's truck is a full-sized model the tailgate should be around 62-64" wide--so that bear may be close to 6' stretched out, but may miss it by a couple of inches also,--but still it's good looking bear--congrats---chris

It measured 6'2". Doesn't matter if you see it or not. Just like to post the pics. I burned Mollasses and vanilla extract on the 14th and this bear came in had to be right after I left because the way the shadows laid. he used up my roll the 14th and first light of the 15th. I killed him on the 18th. I will post the pics of him then. He literally took over the bait and did not leave the bait site. He tore up the cow heads hanging. It is the same bear from last year as he did his clowning in from of the camera again.
Moosie I am going up with my brother tomorrow night and have to find someone else to take up the last weekend. Brother is going to granddaughters graduation up there in Homedale next weekend. So hunting next weekend is out. Wife is busy. Son (13) wants to go stay at his friends house. I was surprised of him not wanting to go. But will let him decide. Our niece's graduation is next weekend and they are having a big BBQ for her so I might not be able to do anything up there next weekend either. Might go up just to sit it in my New tree stand and video some bears.

He weighed 248 live weight and dressed out he weighed 146 pds.
He had a 42" girth. So that chart is pretty close.

Nice bear Jerry! I was thinking 260 live (easy to say now huh!:0))
I finally broke through the snow up here today, didn't have bait with me though. It was snowing when I was up there, so its going to be a week or two before things even get started!

Back