bear rifles????

tnctcb

I was at the range yesterday checking the scope on my .300 win mag and was talking to another guy who was shooting one(not to many 300 mag shooters here in florida).He was telling me that he had hunted most north american species and many animals in africa with his.I was telling him that I was really sold mine as i went to get a .270 in a browning a-bolt and came home with a .300 mag in a ruger m77 all weather basically because I can hunt anything in north america with it and since I drive a truck all over the country I never know what might become possible down the road.They closed the bears to hunting in florida a few years ago and I have never hunted them but they are talking about opening a season again in the next few years.Any way this guy told me that a .300 mag was no good for bear and I think that is a bunch of crap.With a 45-70, .444, .450 you would have to wait until a bear is much closer to you to do what a 300 would do at say 150 yards and I really would hate to piss off a bear at 20 feet.maybe I think I have more gun than I do what do you guys think.

There's no problem at all with the .300. Even the .270 would have been fine. One time my guide in Canada told me the 25-06 had killed many interior grizzlys. I used a .257 Roberts Improved on the black bear in the picture Moosie posted for me in Fireside (" Ithaca's Not a hunter" topic). I really wouldn't recommend going any lighter than a .270 with 150 grain bullets, though.

I'd have to say the 300 win mag in the ultimate gun.. I guess I only say that becasue I shoot one
I also say that becasue It's taken a dozen deer, 7 Elk, and 4 bear.......

i figures this guy was crazy but his wife was with hinm so maybe he was getting ready to get a new gun.i dont know if i would ever travel to bear hunt but would lke to use it on elk moose etc. everyone seems to be taking theirs to california so ill be taking mine for the hogs and since i dont have a yote gun i guess ill use it on them too

You know there's an awful lot of dead bears that have fallen to the 300 Win Mag that would disagree with your buddy at the range. I hope to add one more bear to that list in the next few weeks btw. Here's my new 300 Win Mag I intend to do it with. It's a Remington AWR from the custom shop. I'm pretty sure the 180gr Barnes bullet flying out the end of it's barrel will do the job.
fdbd0cc5.jpg

I just can't hold it in any longer..... :rolleyes:

To all you big mag fanatics, there is not any species of animal on the North American continent that hasn't fallen to a recurve bow.

Furthermore this also holds true for the African continent.

Practice...Practice...Practice and then a well place shot is the key to all successful hunts and kills. ;)

Flipper I'm pretty sure the same can be said for the 22 rimfire and for the same reason. But where's the fun in using one?

Fun you say.....I don't see it being fun gettin stomped by big bore rifles, but thats just me. More power to all that enjoy the abuse of the big guns and gettin the snot and slobbers jarred loose. :eek: :D

Also I would be willin to bet that there has not been any elephants or rhinos killed with the .22 rimfire.

hey Flipper ol' buddy I'm a small 145 pounds and I love my .300 win mag. Thinking about getting an ultra mag or a .338 for my next toy.

AHHH man I love my .300 win mag and Im a pretty small guy.The .300 win mag will do just fine for a Bear.My next toy will be the .338 or a .358 norma mag.

Uhhh MORE POWER !!! Flipper, You know the 300 win mag is my caliber !!!! You jsut stiring up crap, Ain't yah ?!?!? :D

OK, lets do this, we'll stand back to back and walk 100 paces and each have a weapon of our choice, Me with the 300 mag, you with the recurve.... MAybe that will settle it ??!!?

oh but Oscar no one said anything about distance

are ya sayin what I posted bout them recurves aren't true? :(

I also can't believe you are insinuating that "I" would stir up crap :rolleyes:

isn't that the pot callin the kettle black ;)

Flipper said <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>To all you big mag fanatics, there is not any species of animal on the North American continent that hasn't fallen to a recurve bow.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I could say the same for the 300 win mag ?!?!?!!? :D

Whats your point ? And what, Me .. little ol' me, cause any trouble, Tisk Tisk.... ;)

Chuck Adams [for those not in the know] was the first In the world to shoot the north american grandslam with a bow....He also holds an elk that scored I think 409, and a big brown bear that at the time was fourth in the boone and crocket, and he shot it at 12 yards.....The picture with him sitting by it show's the bear to be "huge".......
It all depends on what you are comfortable with. Some guy's just don't like shooting any thing that can eat them from any closer than they have to. I have heard of others that have sat in a tree with a spear and poked a hole in some of those big grizz. I love a challenge, but I'm not sure if I would go to that extent at all. I have a 300 weatherby and this to me is the best gun I have ever owned. But personally would rather be at 20 yards fireing off a stick shooter. The adrenaline rush is so much more than the farther shots..... :D :D :D

Flipper anything you can kill in North America within bow ranges I can kill with a 22 rimfire. Every north american big game animal has been killed with a 22 rimfire as well, the only problem is it's pretty much illegal anywhere you go these days to use it. I bow hunted for over a decade. I ate, slept and drank bowhunting. I thought I'd never want to hunt any other way. However that's completely out of my systme these days. It's different strokes for different folks. I personally get zero enjoyment out of shooting bows or hunting with them. I have no problem supporting those that enjoy it though. I absolutely love hunting with rifles. Eventhough I own several magnum rifles most of my game is taken with non-magnum rifles, but it has nothing to do with Magnumitis. I don't care whether a guy wants to hunt bears with a recurve, compound, speer, muzzle loader, shotgun, or a rifle (magnum or not), makes no difference to me. What I don't like is assine condescending attitudes towards other hunters in regards to which weapon they choose to hunt with.

i certainly dont have big gun fever,It just happens that I do own ONE.on the other hand I do believe in having enough weapon for the job.i know that plenty of animals have been killed with a 22 and a bow.I dont bow hunt at all anymore only because in florida skeeters are bad enough during rifle season but in bow season they will carry you off.I also believe in making a clean quick kill and therefore dont support a .22 for big game at all.I guess the same goes for the .243 debate. My son shoots a .243 but the deer in florida are really small and it is probablly more than needed here.If it will do the job its fine but I bet it would be a poor choice for elk or moose even though it would probablly do the job on both with a perfect shot.since most people i know shoot from a rest at the range then offhand or leaning against a tree in the woods perfect isnt really practical.guys who bow hunt normally spend at least some time everyday shooting there bow and from different angles so they are gunna be more used to standing shots and things like that.I really didnt intend on starting a debate here all i wanted was opinions on why this crackerhead says my gun is no good for bears.to you guys who hunt bears with a bow my hat is off to you cause i dont want to hunt anything that can eat me with a bow :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back