Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bear outfitter recommendation

Butcher

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could recommend a bear outfitter for the 2022 spring season. I’m completely open to any method as far as baiting and sitting in a stand or spot and stock or even possibly hounds. From what I’ve seen this would put me in idaho or possibly montana for spot and stalk. Just looking for positive feed back on any outfitter that I could buy a otc tag for. Thanks for your time

Backwoods guide service in caribou Maine, top notch relaxing hunt and the bear meat from their is amazing. Great place to bring the kids too, my buddy and I took our daughters this yr and all 19 hunters that where in camp filled their tags.

I’d love to go to maine with the kids and wife. Is that a preference point state for bear? Thanks for the reply

For a spring season in Maine it has to be on tribal land. I think there's only about 4 guides that are allowed to do that. We went with Penobscot guide service and I was very pleased. It wasn't the cheapest but I felt that I got what I paid for. My 13 yo son and I went to the lease in Western Maine and was in the mountains. They also have a bow only lease on the Penobscot river that I think they canoe you in. Pretty cool. PM me if you want contact information.

I talked with 4 guide services total and thought all 4 would be fine. Since the tribe picks who can guide there aren't any bad ones. The tags are limited but probably available right now.

I also looked at Idaho and that seems to be a good option with some outfitters doing spot and stalk, hounds and bait depending on the situation.

Good luck.

I’d love to go to maine with the kids and wife. Is that a preference point state for bear? Thanks for the reply

No draw for fall season you need to buy a bear permit for early fall (over bait) but later in the fall as long as you have a big game license you can harvest a bear if I remember correctly.

Maybe someday maine will be a possibility. I also thought about just diy to montana or idaho but still think maybe a guide would be my best option for the first time around, so I can have an idea of what I need to be doing. Thanks for the input and I hope everyones season is going better than anticipated

North River Outfitters in Canada. Pasquale is a small outfit and takes a limited amount of hunters
The American plan is about as close as you can get to DIY in Canada.

In Idaho your can use your elk or deer tag on a bear, cougar, or wolf if the seasons overlap. They do in most places, but read the regs carefully between elk and bear in the area you choose. Buy the elk and/or deer tag and come hunt elk DIY. If you see a legal bear, shoot it.

Honestly the odds are if you tag something DIY, it will be a deer or elk. (You cannot use your elk tag on a deer or deer tag on an elk.) If harvesting a bear is really high on your list. find an outfitter and do bear over bait or dogs. You need to think seriously and honestly on your physical condition if you plan to do a hound hunt. Idaho is wicked steep.

There are units in Idaho that allow you to shoot two bears. Spend some time on goHunt and the IDFG site to scope that out.

Look at Clearwater Outfitters out of Kooskia. This is a two bear zone and they offer a second bear over their baits for an additional fee. Bring your fishing gear!
This is not an endorsement! I do not have any first or second hand experience with them. They are what you are looking for, though. As with any outfitter, you need to talk with them, get references, and do your due diligence.

Questions to ask your outfitter or IDFG. - Do I need a Bait Permit, or am I covered under my outfitters permit? These are free, but you need to walk into an IDFG office to get one.
All bears taken must be checked by and IDFG Conservation Officer or in person at an IDFG office. They will pull a tooth.

Also - Non-resident deer and elk tags go on sale Dec 1st online. They will be sold out in minutes to hours. Get your account set up in advance and make sure you have everything tested before Midnight Dec 1st. An outfitter may have an allotment on deer and elk tags. That is something you need to ask. As far as I know, there is no cap on bear tags.

Good luck.

As always, come back and tell us about your hunt.

In Idaho your can use your elk or deer tag on a bear, cougar, or wolf if the seasons overlap. They do in most places, but read the regs carefully between elk and bear in the area you choose. Buy the elk and/or deer tag and come hunt elk DIY. If you see a legal bear, shoot it.

Honestly the odds are if you tag something DIY, it will be a deer or elk. (You cannot use your elk tag on a deer or deer tag on an elk.) If harvesting a bear is really high on your list. find an outfitter and do bear over bait or dogs. You need to think seriously and honestly on your physical condition if you plan to do a hound hunt. Idaho is wicked steep.

There are units in Idaho that allow you to shoot two bears. Spend some time on goHunt and the IDFG site to scope that out.

Look at Clearwater Outfitters out of Kooskia. This is a two bear zone and they offer a second bear over their baits for an additional fee. Bring your fishing gear!
This is not an endorsement! I do not have any first or second hand experience with them. They are what you are looking for, though. As with any outfitter, you need to talk with them, get references, and do your due diligence.

Questions to ask your outfitter or IDFG. - Do I need a Bait Permit, or am I covered under my outfitters permit? These are free, but you need to walk into an IDFG office to get one.
All bears taken must be checked by and IDFG Conservation Officer or in person at an IDFG office. They will pull a tooth.

Also - Non-resident deer and elk tags go on sale Dec 1st online. They will be sold out in minutes to hours. Get your account set up in advance and make sure you have everything tested before Midnight Dec 1st. An outfitter may have an allotment on deer and elk tags. That is something you need to ask. As far as I know, there is no cap on bear tags.

Good luck.

As always, come back and tell us about your hunt.
Thanks this is what I was wanting! I will check them out. I have a couple family members considering going, hopefully everyone follows through.

I always say Manitoba, assuming you can get in. Norm at Caribou Lodge would treat you right. Great walleye and lake trout fishing at the same time.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back