Bear meat?

mattobertin

I am heading up this weekend to try and put the smackdown on one of the black bears I saw while elk hunting last week but had a question about the meat. I have never eaten bear meat before and was wondering if I get one what to do with the meat like make it into sausage,jerky,etc? I have heard some people say the meat is very greasy and sweet. Just wondering what you all had to say.....

Actually bear meat is pretty good. I've taken 2 and a friend of mine took a really large boar. All of the meat was great. You need to cook it well so a crockpot meal is perfect. It makes good chili, shredded meat tacos and burritos and sausage. I have heard of some people making jerky out of it but I agree with Greenhorn on that one. Cook it well and kill the worms, if there are any to be had.

Bear meat is mild and lean if it's trimmed down to just muscle.
I cut steaks from the backstraps. I cut roasts and steaks out of the hind quarters and burger and sausage the remainder of the animal.

DONATION IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worms and systs are'nt exactly my cup a tea! Anybody want some bear meat!!!LOL!!! I have heard that it is not the best chit to eat but I thought I would ask you guys first before I just donated the stuff. THANKS for the response fellas.

I am heading up this weekend to try and put the smackdown on one of the black bears I saw while elk hunting last week but had a question about the meat. I have never eaten bear meat before and was wondering if I get one what to do with the meat like make it into sausage,jerky,etc? I have heard some people say the meat is very greasy and sweet. Just wondering what you all had to say.....

What unit? I am going up Thursday.

dufus, please provide a shipping address. I'm glad to know that I will be able to please your family every spring with about 75lbs of meat.

The bear I shot in New Mexico at the Gila National Forest was great! I got it processed like hog meat here and it was good. Everyone who had some liked it. Steaks and hamburger, both were great by me!

I had frost the night after I shot it and got it to a freezer by about 12 noon the next day though. Some people drive all over showing it to everyone sun baking it in the back of the truck some. I don't think that's a good idea.

Every bear I've taken has been skinned and boned in the field. Then, they usually get stuffed in my freezer. Later it usually gets fed to the barn cats at my parents place. However, this year, somebody begged me for it, all of it. They want to make ham out of it. I won't be eating ham at their house.

I plan to shoot a bear next spring, if I kill another in the future will be almost completely dependant on how it tastes. I'm planning lots of sausage.

I'm with you Moosie that stuff is nasty. It seems to me that anytime someone says that "you just have to no how to cook it" it is usually not worth trying. The best thing to do with bear meat is to give it to one of these great Chefs that can turn the yetti chit into scrumptious meals.

I've got 4 bears. Either I got the only 4 good ones, or the meat is quite good. Take care of it properly, cut off a lot of the fat. We all liked it just fine.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back