Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bear Hunter Kills Marine in OR

'Ike'

Un-F'n-Believable....:mad:

SILVER CREEK FALLS, OR - A Marine from French Camp was shot and killed accidentally on a hiking trip with a friend Friday evening.

Christopher Ochoa, 20, was hiking to the Silver Creek Falls with his friend Raymond Westrom, 53, when he was shot by a man hunting for bears, Marion County sheriff's spokesperson Don Thomson said.

Gene Collier, 67, of Turner, Ore. and his 12-year-old grandson were hunting when Collier saw something move, thinking it was a bear and shot it.

Thomson said the shot hit Ochoa.

That is a tragedy that is so preventable. I am at a loss for how people shoot at something without identifying their target.

know Your target. I guess the bear ID test has picture of things that move. There is no excuse for I saw something move. IMO, If a hunter oops a dumb sob should do that . I think they should be charged with man slaughter. I know accidents do happen but of this nature is uncalled for.

Terrible tragedy but no excuse for the DUMB*** hunter not to know his target. Hunting is a priviledge, but not every one should have it. Some people are just not smart enough. IMO

Not only horrible for the victim, family and friends, with all the recent news about states re-activating bear hunts, this will be foder for the anti's. Stupidity kills, though not as often as it should (and in this case the wrong one).

I heard this story on the news this afternoon. It was reported that the shooter thought the victim was a bear. It did not state that the shooter was hunting bears. So, I have to ask myself, did the shooter actually have a bear tag?

I think I'll quit walking around in the woods on all-4's...it sounds dangerous. Hmmm.

Back