Caribou Gear

Bear Attack Washington

Woman got near a sow with cubs right at daylight with her dog, seemingly by accident and unaware of the bear. Bad situation. Preventable by not walking a dog right at daylight.

Lived in western WA for a decade, and I can tell you unequivocally that the state doesn't care about wildlife. At all. It is probably the least nature/wildlife-educated culture I've experienced in the United States. I've got a brother in New York, and the people there are more nature-wise (especially for bears) than people in western WA are. Very strange, especially considering the massive chunk of NF land all around there. Nature and animals just aren't really part of the culture there, and don't make it onto the political stage with any regularity. Except salmon. And if it wasn't for the feds and the indians, they wouldn't care about salmon, either.

Also, there are bear confrontations every year in WA, can't imagine anyone thinking they're rare events. When I was living there a state senator was mauled one year, and a little kid was killed on a fund run the next. Not to mention the cyclist who got killed by the mountain lion 30 minutes from Seattle. People have very little wildlife sense in that state.

What a stupid story.

This is an area that allows OTC bear hunting, two tags per year. How is that woke policy?

@neffa3 can probably expand better, but as I recall there have been recurring issues over the years with city ordinances and waste disposal hygiene.

Walking your dog in a park along a
riparian corridor, in a wildlife rich area. Sow with cubs attacks. Who knew?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phenomenal journalism, sought opinions from both sides of the issue, qualified experts brought in to give educated opinions.

Wow.

9/10, would read again but heavy in the ads, so only 9 ⭐

Edit to add: would do 11/10 stars if they mentioned a Californian wildlife access overpass.
That fisheries degree is paying off in spades for black bear expert.

Lived in western WA for a decade, and I can tell you unequivocally that the state doesn't care about wildlife. At all. It is probably the least nature/wildlife-educated culture I've experienced in the United States. I've got a brother in New York, and the people there are more nature-wise (especially for bears) than people in western WA are. Very strange, especially considering the massive chunk of NF land all around there. Nature and animals just aren't really part of the culture there, and don't make it onto the political stage with any regularity. Except salmon. And if it wasn't for the feds and the indians, they wouldn't care about salmon, either.

Also, there are bear confrontations every year in WA, can't imagine anyone thinking they're rare events. When I was living there a state senator was mauled one year, and a little kid was killed on a fund run the next. Not to mention the cyclist who got killed by the mountain lion 30 minutes from Seattle. People have very little wildlife sense in that state.
This comment is almost of dumb as the article.

In terms of the article, the ending (or suspension) of our spring bear hunting has zero to do with this area as there has never been a spring season in my lifetime in this area. Also, the banning of hound hunting was not a WDFW decision, it was a state initiative, WDFW cannot do anything about it.

Also, @JLS is right (hot tip, with regard to WA wildlife issues, he's always going to be right), this is both in an area with OTC tags (2 per year; a recent increase by WDFW) and an area that has historically (more than a decade) struggled getting citizens to keep their figgin' garbage either in a bear proof bins or in their garages. Leavenworth routinely has bear problems, it's a small town surrounded on three sides by some really wild country, there's a reasonably healthy salmon run right in town (spring chinook and fall coho), and still some legacy tree fruits to add an extra draw for bears.

I will say, from what I heard or at least what was reported, this wasn't in the park (natural area) but actually along Commercial Street. They did have to ban firearms in the area around town because too many idiots were shooting high powered guns too close to people and houses (70's?), so hunting right in town isn't much of an option.

I feel sorry for her, she didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but her community needs to do a better job of not unintentionally feeding bears.

This comment is almost of dumb as the article.

Being of dumb as other things can be frustrating. What aren't you happy with? The assertion that western WA residents know less about local wildlife and lands than they do about Jupiter? Or that the government couldn't give two tickles about said wildlife and lands?

Being of dumb as other things can be frustrating. What aren't you happy with? The assertion that western WA residents know less about local wildlife and lands than they do about Jupiter? Or that the government couldn't give two tickles about said wildlife and lands?
If by government you're referring to the electeds I might not argue, but I can assure you most of the people on the ground in WDFW care more and do more for wildlife and lands than you can imagine, literally devote their lives to it.

I'm not equating the two. Though like most people I do have my own personal disagreements (mostly fishing, honestly), overall I'd say WDFW is fine enough. I live with Montana's FWP now, so, you know, lol.

The state government at almost every level, however, couldn't care less about any natural aspect of the state. I propose a challenge to anyone who lives near Olympia: stop one of your legislators when you see them and ask them to identify a nearby tree. See how that goes.

Or have a gander at what the state did to the game wardens. If you can find them, they're probably out busting the homeless camps out in the woods for non-game related issues.

When you live in a lot of states, and mostly western states, you get an idea for how the government thinks about the land and animals. And in WA... I mean, it's nothing. Not a peep. Next door in ID, it's a big deal, and here in MT and down in WY it's a massive political issue. There's a thread about MT supreme court justices active right now, and it all revolves around public land. When's the last time you saw in anyone in WA politics mention public land, and was it about Mt Rainier or the Enchantments?

Ask your legislators if they know what a pika is. Ask your neighbor if they knew they lived within a two hour drive of flying squirrels. Ask your local superintendent for your schools when a deer or elk needs to have its baby on the ground. WA culture is largely ignorant of their wildlife, and it takes a backseat to everything else in the state. The only exceptions I can think of are endangered species (orcas, salmon), and whatever the tribes make a huff over. And don't get me started on the tribes and fishing.

ok...

Lived in western WA for a decade,
This assumes that living somewhere inherently provides knowledge. FALSE
and I can tell you unequivocally that the state doesn't care about wildlife.
Based on what? The state cares a TON about wildlife and has consistently been at the forefront of protecting both wildlife and habitat. There are 143 species on the State threatened or Endangered species list. We also have the priority species list. https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/phs to guide local decision making to ensure wildlife is protected. Here locally WDFW fought against, and won, a proposed development in critical mule deer wintering grounds. https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news...1eb-a7a6-5f7ad2a0bbeb.html#tncms-source=login
Not English. Try Harder.
It is probably the least nature/wildlife-educated culture I've experienced in the United States.
This may be true, but it is entirely without any context to substantiate the claim.
I've got a brother in New York, and the people there are more nature-wise (especially for bears) than people in western WA are.
Go to a bar in Forks (or Pe Ell, or Morton, or Cougar) and tell them they don't know anything about bears or nature... if you can still type afterward, please report back.
Very strange, especially considering the massive chunk of NF land all around there. Nature and animals just aren't really part of the culture there, and don't make it onto the political stage with any regularity.
Really? Have you ever heard of these things call Orcas?
Except salmon. And if it wasn't for the feds and the indians, they wouldn't care about salmon, either.
There is a sliver of truth there for sure. But WA was one of the first states to pass minimum instream flows for salmon protection that hasn't been always driven by either of those parties.
Also, there are bear confrontations every year in WA, can't imagine anyone thinking they're rare events. When I was living there a state senator was mauled one year, and a little kid was killed on a fund run the next.
19 in 52 years with only one fatality, for the second most populous west coast state. https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/1130857186/a-washington-state-woman-fended-off-a-black-bear-attack

Not to mention the cyclist who got killed by the mountain lion 30 minutes from Seattle.
Literally the second ever recorded.
People have very little wildlife sense in that state.
So if you get attacked you have no sense? Well then my god are texans idiots!
1666893256737.png

I feel that the kind of wokeness discussed in this article is too entrenched here in MT to turn back. Even though we now allow hound hunting we’ve still been having recent problems with a bear getting into the dumpster behind a local bakery in town. They simply no longer respect humans as the ultimate apex predator on the mean streets of Missoula. #protectourpastries
#thiscustarddoesntrun

ok...

This assumes that living somewhere inherently provides knowledge. FALSE

Based on what? The state cares a TON about wildlife and has consistently been at the forefront of protecting both wildlife and habitat. There are 143 species on the State threatened or Endangered species list. We also have the priority species list. https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/phs to guide local decision making to ensure wildlife is protected. Here locally WDFW fought against, and won, a proposed development in critical mule deer wintering grounds. https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news...1eb-a7a6-5f7ad2a0bbeb.html#tncms-source=login

Not English. Try Harder.

This may be true, but it is entirely without any context to substantiate the claim.

Go to a bar in Forks (or Pe Ell, or Morton, or Cougar) and tell them they don't know anything about bears or nature... if you can still type afterward, please report back.

Really? Have you ever heard of these things call Orcas?

There is a sliver of truth there for sure. But WA was one of the first states to pass minimum instream flows for salmon protection that hasn't been always driven by either of those parties.

19 in 52 years with only one fatality, for the second most populous west coast state. https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/1130857186/a-washington-state-woman-fended-off-a-black-bear-attack

Literally the second ever recorded.

So if you get attacked you have no sense? Well then my god are texans idiots!
View attachment 246773
Are most of those dog attacks? 5 deaths a year in Missouri seems high as Snoop Dog. I grew up in Missouri and seems every year a horse would kick a kid in the head and maybe during morel hunting in the spring a guy would get bit by a rattler (reptile, though, so maybe animal requires warm-blooded). I had a neighbor fall off his tractor and come out in three consecutive small hay bales. I had a neighbor get crushed while greasing under a truck bed that lifts but the hoses failed so the falling bed silently pinned him. I don't recall anyone being killed by domestic or wild critters. Dog attacks would seem likely, though, up in the city where people don't put down mean dogs like they do out in the country when one wanders on your property and snarls.

Edit: I looked up the "animal" and includes mammals, reptiles, insects and marine critters such as sharks, alligators and jellyfish. Presumably bears and cougars are causing a tiny, tiny portion of deaths in the totals since 2020.

Last edited:
Back