Be like Evie 😉

I love folks like this, my old pastor is 88 this month, he still fishes like a fiend, he drove from Michigan to Colorado to fill his cow tag, and he had an acre of garden this year. A family friend shot a 160 inch Texas whitetail this year he is 84 and my grandpa at 77 is still farming, shoeing his own horses and hunting elk. I look up to these folks so much.

My friend’s dad died of heart attack while climbing a tree with a climbing stand. He was hunting public land and had walked in a couple miles with his stand on his back. He was around 80. Sad deal, but what a way to go, doing what he loved.
I will gladly take that as an ending. Better than drooling in a nursing home.

Climbing a tree no less......... hardcore lady
Wisconsin has produced several hardcore ladies. Does anyone else remember the 104 year old lady --from Wisconsin, that went deer hunting for the first time in her life and filled her tag.

My friend’s dad died of heart attack while climbing a tree with a climbing stand. He was hunting public land and had walked in a couple miles with his stand on his back. He was around 80. Sad deal, but what a way to go, doing what he loved.
And I would bet your friends dad would agree with you. It is a constant battle in my family, and I am sure in other families, when families try to stop older members from doing what they love to do.

I will gladly take that as an ending. Better than drooling in a nursing home.
My sentiments exactly

Thanks to Evie, her and her husband will enjoy several Elk dinners together. Love it !!!!!!!

When I see that she didn't start bow hunting until she was 42 after me turning 42 a month ago:

"So you're telling me there's a chance..."

I am so lucky my 81 year old father is still going strong between hunting and fishing spends about 130 to 140 days afield. Talking about doing a little trapping this year for fisher cats also. Two weeks ago Killed & skinned & complete processed a nice doe all on his own. He called me told me he shot it but thought he could get it home without help and he did.

Love it!! I'm in my 40s and can't fill an elk tag (0 in 6), but she's in her 80s and filled ANOTHER one!!! Good for her!!!!!!

congratulations Evie, hope you hunt for many more years

Any of you know other active octogenarian mountain hunters? My grandfather shot a Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range at 77, but it was his last sheep hunt. He retired to fishing after that.

Europe has to be close to 90 and she took her granddaughter on an Ibex hunt a couple years ago

Happymyles hunted into his 80's

My grandmother hunted with my grandfather until she was 78 and various health problem kept her from hunting after that, but she still went and goes with my grandfather, who is well passed 80, every year when he goes.

When we lived in Texas , my grandparents had a friend that Tom T Hall must have also known when he wrote the song Faster Horses. That song fit that old man to a T. Anyway he hunted into his 80,s but is gone now.
Can not argue with letting someone go out while doing what they enjoy doing. However; as selfish as it is of us, we ( our family ) do try to talk my grandparents out of going alone, or climbing trees, etc. We like that they go, but try to arrange for someone to go with them, when they go. And we do catch a little blow back form them.
"we have been doing this before you were born--before your father was born" :) And we always spin it, but we want to spend time with you--which is also true.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back