BDC Reticle

Have a Nikon BDC on my mz. Do not like the rings,they are too blocky. But the glass is good.
Lucky I only use it out to 150 or so. I can hit 200 easy,but the rings get in field of view too much.

I have both the Nikon BDC scopes and the dial turret style. For ‘normal’ hunting ranges the BDC works well for the longer stuff the turret is the way to go

I have 4 on rifles that i hunt with regularly. And target shoot quite a bit.
I didn't think i would like them at first, that changed.
First one is a 4-12X40 Redfield Revenge with Varmint Accuranger reticle. Scope has marks for 8", 16", 25". Aka gophers, deer, elk/coyote. Zero at 200 yards.
Start at 4 power, and increase power till desired height is bracketed. Tell you range. Set on 12 power, hold at distance, and shoot.
Liked it well enough that i bought a second one.
One on my Stevens 200 (originally 7mm-08, reamed to AI, now barreled in 250 Savage) the other on my Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.
Ballistics and hash marks align almost perfectly with a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
I used this setup to range/shoot doe verified by rangefinder at 413 yards.

Third is a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42 currently at home on my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts.

Fourth is on wifes Savage 110 FP in 223 Rem. 6-18X44 Crossfire II.

Lately i've gone more to an MOA based reticle. These in the form of Sightron Scopes. Using Strelok Pro, find MOA holdover and shoot. Also use it for ranging.

My -06 has a Zeiss Conquest with 600yrd range reticle. Some folks find these busy in their FOV,I don't.
Trust it completely. Does not distract me like the Nikon rings.
Both need to be set @ 9 power to use properly & match load data.

I prefer a duplex reticle myself. I had a Nikon BDC reticle one time it came as a package deal on the 7mm08 I bought. I thought I liked it, I killed a deer at 300 yards with it. Then I received access to a range where I could shoot and practice that far and entered my data and all and couldn’t hit shit past 100 yards accurately. I determined I got lucky on the deer and got a different scope. It now wears a leupold vx3i 4.5-14-40 that I love.

Interesting. I don't think I know anyone in person that uses them, but looks like quite a few do.

I actually wound up just getting a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 with a Nikoplex for that rifle. Not fancy, but I'm a pretty simple guy.

I’ll use the hash marks but I don’t plug any info into a calculator. I go out and feild verify where each of the hash marks are at.

Depends on the rifle, for my M70 featherweight I prefer a simple duplex, sighted in for 260yds (7mmHT) I hold right on to 300 yards and have holdovers for out to 400, but that rifle gets worked in the timber more often than not. That rifle had a Burris BDC on it before I got sick of it and put it on my AR

I've got other rifles with either MOA or BDC reticles (AR, .243 Win, .257 Bee) but they're mostly used in the slower, more methodical shooting of targets or hunting more open country and have all been verified before hunted

Interesting. I don't think I know anyone in person that uses them, but looks like quite a few do.

I actually wound up just getting a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 with a Nikoplex for that rifle. Not fancy, but I'm a pretty simple guy.
I have two of those and so far they have been fantastic scopes, but mine have the BDC. I was skeptical about them but couldn't ignore the thousands of positive reviews about them so I picked one up and used it for a few seasons on my 300 and was really happy. Put the other one on my muzzy. Have a 3x9x40 waiting to go on a rifle I'll get for my kids. For me, they have been great scopes.

Depends a little on what you're shooting as well. Overall I really appreciate having them. The one I use most is the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with BDC on my 7mm-08. I work out the hashes on the range and use my rangefinder in the field. I can punch a 8" plate consistently at 400 yards holding on a hash, but having to guess at a 20+" holdover and my performance goes down dramatically. If you're shooting a 300 WM it won't matter.

I think they work great with any rifle shooting 2,900fps or faster.
If you hunt and shoot 500yrds or less, it's close enough and simple.

I’ve only used a BDC scope on an AR I shot 3 gun with. I zeroed the 300 yd hash, and everything out to 500 was close enough. They’re simple and fast if you take time to learn how to use them. I do prefer a hash to dots or circles.

I have two with bdc reticles, one a vortex with the hashes, the other a meopta with the same reticle as the zeiss rapid z 800. The thing I dont like about the vortex is once you introduce wind it becomes a guessing game with the holdover. I like the rapid z because it has wind age hash marks as well. I think the old bushnell bdc reticle was similar.

Anyone use the TriMOA reticle from Leupold? Similar idea to BDC but has hashmarks at each minute... seems like a more robust system for someone who wants to shoot more precise at longer range w/out having to twist turrets.

Anyone use the TriMOA reticle from Leupold? Similar idea to BDC but has hashmarks at each minute... seems like a more robust system for someone who wants to shoot more precise at longer range w/out having to twist turrets.
Zeiss. My Conquest has a rapid Z600 reticle that is a christmas tree of usefulness that is spot on when dialed into their program. You do have to set it @ 9x to be precise out past 200-600 yrds.

Back