Caribou Gear Tarp

Bcat,About Something You Brought Up Below

George P

Bcat, I have found exactly the same thing with on call hunters.Two seasons ago I had several on call bear hunters.I had several clients take bear the first day.Great right?Call another hunter for the rest of the week.NEVER happened.Everyone was always busy.I heard it all.If it would have been last week or next week etc......
Even this year with as low a price as I have for bear hunts this year it is running the same way with phone calls.Everyone calls and is all excited about going this fall.I call them 2 weeks later asking about the deposit and things are different now.No money,might not have the time,etc...
I think next year I will go up to normal prices for this area and go to some sporting shows.Sounds like there are a lot more serious hunters there and you can take deposits right there.The only guys I have for sure this year are 2 repeats from the last 2 years.Both wicked nice guys that I am looking forword to getting together with.
Bcat, do you think where I dont charge as much as some big outfits people are a little shy?Its funny.I go up and take hunters for an outfitter who is charging twice what I do and the clients are happy to pay it.

Goerge-This is what I have discovered. I used to be cheaper than anyone else in the valley for my hunts. This kind of operation seems to bring out the real tightwads of the hunting world. The ones that cant seem to get one on their own, but cant afford to pay a decent price to hire an outfitter. We provided deluxe accomodations, food and everything and were making zero money.. I had an old time outfitter tell me we were not charging near enuff for our hunts. He told me if we raised our prices to the same level as everybody else, we would weed out alot of the ones that want something for nothing. We did that, and I believe he was right. This guy gets 6250.00 for an elk hunt and is booked two years in advance. It is an area that always has tags due to being all private land, but basicly the same kind of hunting that I provide, and about he same class of game. As far as the lion hunters go, EVERYBODY wants to get a lion!!!! I will not even pencil anyone in as a on call hunter, and spend any time in the woods looking for tracks, unless it si for a family member, until they send the deposit for half the hunt. Then when ya call them they are ready to come!!! When ya provide a quality service, there will be plenty of hunters calling to book hunts, as long as the price isnt too far out of line. There is another class of hunters that dont care how much it costs, they want to hunt. I have a few clients like that that try to come hunting every year even if they have to buy a cow tag. I try to be real good to my faithful clients that keep coming back, and that send me new hunters every year. I usually comp them a hunt every few years, just because they are good customers. Still not making no money but I get to hunt usually three or four months out of the year. I have my lion hunts all booked up for next year, unless my oldest son decides he wants to help out for a few weeks, and then we could take a couple more. We purposely didnt book but two lion hunts a year for the last two years, and one of them this year has paid his deposit and didnt have time to come this year. Thats life! Its a changing world and things change daily, but generally when they put up the deposit they will come!!!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

[/b]
[URL=www.huntandlodge.com[/URL] [/b]

Bcat, I am totally excited about being there for my lion hunt and you know nothing will stop me from showing up, hell or high water.
smile.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

George
I would get what a hunt is worth up front and don't get into deals of so much a day and then a fee if they kill.One thing to think about when doing shows for hunters.
Each show will cost you about $2,000.to do between your booth space and motel room for a week.+ travel.So you will need 2 bookings just to pay for the show.From what I have seen from shows you will knot get deposits there!!!!Serious hunters will research you before booking.The ones that book there are just (shooters not sportsman)and you ended up being the best deal for the buck.You know what I think of (shooters)It may take some time George but your best advertisement is the Sportsman you have Guided already. Build A name and they will come.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

George,
I agree with what Tobey says.I just went to the show at the Shriners Auditorium in Boston last weekend and saw a lot of outfitters.I talked with several for a while.No one was getting deposits, they were just handing out info and answering questions.I talked with an outfitter I met at the same show last year from NY who I've booked a deer hunt with my bow for this fall.I met him last year but did plenty of research at home on the internet as well as calling referals before booking him.
As you know I'm also booked with Ben Pinkham from Sunset Ridge outfitters in Maine for a bear hunt this fall.I got his name from the internet and did a ton of research on a bunch of outfitters.I also called a bunch of referalls.I guess the point I'm making is that the internet can be a useful tool for me the hunter and you the outfitter.Have you looked into making your own website? My guess is that if you typed in "NH Bear Hunting" in your search engine you would find very few outfitters.That may be a good place to start.
I do want to go with you when your running your dogs so I can take pictures for you if the offer still stands.Some good photos for a website can't hurt.
Talk to you soon.
Mike

Hi Vp,I do have a web site.It is located at www.borderpond.com Several of my friends are full time outfitters in Maine.They book 90% of their hunters from the sporting shows.They get alot of repeats but most contacts are at the big shows first.I spoke with a good friend of mine the other night.He just came back from the show in Harrisburg Pa. That is the only show he does now.He says that every major outfitter in the north east was there.He has been going for several years himself.Now this guy books well over 100 hunters a year between,bear,deer,cat,moose,etc.He gets most of his deposits at this show.He loves going too.Gets to meet up with alot of clients from the past seasons.
I am not into it that big time and really dont think I would want to be.My buddy runs a heck of a good operation. I have hunted for him and he works unbelievably hard for 4 months straight with out a day off.That is a little too much for me.Ask Tobey what a chore it is to bait for 3 months straight.I saw the game board at their tagging station.I couldnt believe the number of game tagged there with Tobeys names as guides.There has got to be a ton of hard work involved to be that successful.Me,I love to hunt bear with hounds.If I can break even doing what I love doing I am a very very happy houndsman.
Vp, I would love to have you along taking pictures.Email me your phone number if you get a chance.

I got to agree with George, on some of the show thing. I have never been to a show and rely mostly on word of mouth from previous clients, but most of my outfitter friends book most of their hunts at shows. I dont know whether the money is exchanged there but thats where they get their clients. The clients they get from the shows are usually the ones that dont mind paying for a good hunt either! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I went into the Portland Sportsmens' Show a couple of weeks ago like I always do, to check out the outfitters, equipment, etc... I also wanted to stop by and talk to the outfitter that I had booked a moose hunt with in Alberta in October. I bought this hunt at the Oregon Hunters Assoc. banquet last year, so there was a time lapse in the arrangements. In the ensuing conversation, I asked him how he does at the shows and he says he books $30-40K of business at the Portland show alone. Funny part was, he had just about the smallest booth of any of the outfitters there. Word of mouth was obviously good, but exposure helps to reinforce that. If you have a good product, get out there and tell people you do- then prove it to them! You'll have more business than you know what to do with. Just my 2 cent's worth!-Sheister

Shiester-I dont know about George, but I am happy with the size of outfitt I have. I wouldnt know what to do with a couple dozen hunters. Its hard to find good seasonal help, that is reliable and knowledgeable about hunting and horsemanship etc. Now when my boys get old enuff to take a more active role in it, the shows may be a good thing. As it is a fellow can always book hunters, but ya have to be able to provide a good hunt too or they dont come back. Personally I dont want to be a big outfitt. If I had 10 elk hunters a year that would be way plenty!!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Bcat, I am definately happy with the amount of hunters I take now.I can tell you one thing for sure.It is a whole lot different between outfitting the way you do it there and what we do here.Horses?I have never even heard of anyone around here using them in any type of hunting.That has got to be a big exspense for you.Also you talk about hireing people to work for you.Other than the guy who got our moose out with his 4whlr last year I have never paid anyone to help.I have some buddys that go along because they love the dogs but that is about it.I do all the hunts myself.It sure sounds like it is a lot simplier out here bcat.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back