Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Baush and Lomb rifle scopes

Rooster52

I do not hear much about these scopes anymore but I have a 4-14x40 that rivals the Leupold for quality. Anyone use Baush and Lomb scopes ?

Those, and the Bushnell Elite series were made by the same company.

I have a couple of B&L Balvar 8's 2.5-8 on adjustable Kuharsky mounts. One mounted on a pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H. Fine fine glass.

Seems I heard one time that Browning rifle scopes were madeby Bushnell in the elite 4000 series.

Wally dog, I too have a B&L on my pre 64 30-06. I love the thin cross hairs and the clarity. I was told by a gun smith they used pine pitch to keep the glass glued in and most of these eventually get loose.

B&L doesn't or didn't (are they still made?) have the same no questions, lifetime warranty Leupold is famous for.

I always thought B&L morphed into Bushnell. Pretty certain that, at least in the past, there was a relationship. B&L was higher quality with Bushnell at bargain prices. I think the higher end Bushnell's are similar to the B&L quality.

Back in the 60's or 70's B&L made the BalVar line that had no adjustments as the mounts held the windage and elevation. That way, one scope could be used on multiple rifles. They also made another line that did have internal adjustments. I cannot recall what the name of that line was. Every now & then I come across one on an older rifle on Gunbroker.

I have a Bushnesll Elite 3200 4x12. It is a really nice scope. At the time I liked it better than the comparable out there for the 400-500 dollar range.

B&L made the best glass available in US and elsewhere for many years. I think they still produce good glass.Telescopes,microscopes,and glass for binos. But they went into low end binos & such.Bushnell, etc.
The folks from Alpine & vortex used to work for them & went out and started making decent binos,scopes with the glass for themselves.
That's what founder of Alpine told me. Vortex guys used to work for her she said.

I have a Baush and Lomb Balvar 4-14x40 on a Browning Abolt Gold Medallion left hand in 270
Winchester. Always has been one of my best shooting combos.I do not shoot it much anymore,just to much of a classic,just beautiful set up.

Last edited:
Back