Caribou Gear

Base and Rings suggestions so many choices...so little time

I've got 20MOA Talley rings on my Ridgeline, holding about a 21 ounce Leupold scope, which is probably close to the same weight as that scope. No issues holding zero. I highly recommend Talley rings be lapped for perfect alignment, which also helps for holding zero.

If you want to go the "brick chithouse" route, Ken Farrell rings and bases are bulletproof.

Personally I never put Leupold standard rings on anything anymore after sheering one of the turn-in rings right at the base. It was a high-recoil rifle, mid-weight scope, but no impacts at all to the scope or rings. Maybe it was just a bad part, but it's not something I'm going to risk on a hunting rifle.
Had a buddy shear 2 leupold bases on a 300WBY in about 2 weeks time. They were the standard leupold bases with adjustable windage rear.

I have really been liking ARC M10 rings, they are on both of my hunting rifles. I have used them pretty hard and don't plan to change.

I've got 20MOA Talley rings on my Ridgeline, holding about a 21 ounce Leupold scope, which is probably close to the same weight as that scope. No issues holding zero. I highly recommend Talley rings be lapped for perfect alignment, which also helps for holding zero.

If you want to go the "brick chithouse" route, Ken Farrell rings and bases are bulletproof.

Personally I never put Leupold standard rings on anything anymore after sheering one of the turn-in rings right at the base. It was a high-recoil rifle, mid-weight scope, but no impacts at all to the scope or rings. Maybe it was just a bad part, but it's not something I'm going to risk on a hunting rifle.
Every hunting rifle you will ever buy, every scope mount, every box of ammo ect you will run the risk of something going wrong. Credit to the company's we buy from it doesn't happen more! Leupold has about the best reputation of any company I know and I do own one set of Leupold base's and rings. Don't own more because I get Weaver for less money and they work as well. or course they are not finished quite as nice but I live with it. I can only think that you are perfect in every way! :-(

I mount a lot of scopes and here are my suggestions.

1) I am another in the camp of using a pic rail with rings when at all possible. The big reason for this is, as mentioned above, the MUCH greater ability to adjust eye relief. When you look at fixed bases and the clearance you need to keep the rings away from the front/magnification adjustment the amount of fore and aft available is very small. As such, I will give you my two suggestions for a rifle like yours....

2) This is the solution I used on my new rifle. A good picatinny rail ( mine is a Tikka specific from Mountain Tactical) and the Vortex Precision rings that are made for them by Seekins Precision. This is a very solid solution with good adjustability. Rings and rail together should run about $200-250. Here are some examples

Attached is a pic of my set up.....

Attachments

• 20211211_095652 (2).jpg
    20211211_095652 (2).jpg
    707 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Had a buddy shear 2 leupold bases on a 300WBY in about 2 weeks time. They were the standard leupold bases with adjustable windage rear.
Weird. I have those on a RUM with hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it. Might go a different route later, but so far not a problem. mtmuley

1) I am another in the camp of using a pic rail with rings when at all possible. The big reason for this is, as mentioned above, the MUCH greater ability to adjust eye relief. When you look at fixed bases and the clearance you need to keep the rings away from the front/magnification adjustment the amount of fore and aft available is very small. As such, I will give you my two suggestions for a rifle like yours....

2) This is the solution I used on my new rifle. A good picatinny rail ( mine is a Tikka specific from Mountain Tactical) and the Vortex Precision rings that are made for them by Seekins Precision. This is a very solid solution with good adjustability. Rings and rail together should run about $200-250. Here are some examples

3) If you want absolute bomb proof set up .....this is the set up from our inventory

I think you are spot on from a general performance and convenience perspective. I have used two sets of those vortex pro rings and they are nice for the money.

Just personal preference, I hate the way a rail looks on a classic wood/blued rifle. To your point tho, I have had trouble with shorter scopes on long actions that could easily be remedied with a rail.

I can only think that you are perfect in every way! :-(
Thanks for the compliment?

I’m sorry, I thought these forums were for us to share our personal experiences when it may benefit others. Especially when they seeks others opinions.

The issue is with the Leupold standard STYLE rings and bases. I don’t care who makes them. Millett makes the same style too and I don’t recommend those either. I own plenty of Leupold products but no longer use those rings.

Weird. I have those on a RUM with hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it. Might go a different route later, but so far not a problem. mtmuley
He is running a pretty heavy scope and muzzlebrake as well. Switched rings/bases and haven’t had a problem since either.

Yeah those Leupold standard bases with the adjustable windage rear didn't work well with my .300 Wby. mag either. No problem at all with the dual dovetail set up. Leupold recommends those standard bases for smaller than a .300 Win. mag...and I found out why. I have those standard bases on my .257 Wby. mag and 7mm Rem. mag without issue.

Last edited:
Yeah those Leupold standard bases with the adjustable windage rear didn't work well with my .300 Wby. mag either. No problem at all with the dual dovetail set up. Leupold recommends those standard bases for .300 Win. mag and smaller...and I found out why. I have those standard bases on my .257 Wby. mag and 7mm Rem. mag without issue.
To me the problem is the 2 screws that hold the ring on the rear base are a hollow head design and kept shearing off.

Thanks for the compliment?

I’m sorry, I thought these forums were for us to share our personal experiences when it may benefit others. Especially when they seeks others opinions.

The issue is with the Leupold standard STYLE rings and bases. I don’t care who makes them. Millett makes the same style too and I don’t recommend those either. I own plenty of Leupold products but no longer use those rings.
You related one bad experience and badmouthed the product, not good!

My Dad and I were in the gun biz many years when Weaver and Tasco were about all that was available and they did the job. This 300's recoil is what has me more worried than anything. And yet somthin a lil more sexy works too..lol
Think I heard that about years ago and nothing much around. Seems there have been some kind of scope mounting system as long as there have been scopes, probably improved a lot over the years. My 30-06 is a custom made in 1945 and has a set of vertical split Redfield's on it. They were put there in 1945. I would not recommend them to anyone. They certainly get the job done but to remove the scope you have to take it apart! Not cool! very nice looking though and other than changing scopes seem to be well made rings. One piece base with dove tails and rear adjustment.

3) If you want absolute bomb proof set up .....this is the set up from our inventory

I see you say low rings...for a 56mm?

Got a call into Farrell to chat.

I'll check em out thanks!

Went with Ken Farrell. Spent some time on the phone with him. Great guy, knows his stuff and no lapping. It aint cheap but from the comments here, with others and my conversation with Ken I'd rather have bulletproof. Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back