Barrel Length and Crown Suggestion

Going to have the barrel cut down on my kimber montana 308. As it stands it has a 1:10 twist and a 22” barrel.
I am trying to decide if I want it cut down to 18” or 20”. I have a 2-7 mounted on it and it wont be used past 300. Will I neuter the 308 too much going to 18”?

I also know nothing about crown options but want something that is slightly protected from abuse in the field.

Thanks for any opinions.

I mainly want to have it cut for quick handling and compactness. A shorter OAL will be beneficial in the woods here in the northeast.
Everything I have looked at suggests that I will loose anywhere from 50-100fps, which is not a big deal to me. Noise, i believe can be mitigated with powder selection.
My main concerns would be the ability to stabilize a 180 partition if I went to 18” rather than 20”.

I mainly want to have it cut for quick handling and compactness. A shorter OAL will be beneficial in the woods here in the northeast.
Everything I have looked at suggests that I will loose anywhere from 50-100fps, which is not a big deal to me. Noise, i believe can be mitigated with powder selection.
My main concerns would be the ability to stabilize a 180 partition if I went to 18” rather than 20”.
Shorter barrel= more recoil, less accuracy, less bullet speed. Yes shorter is lighter, and faster

Shorter barrels actually generally improve accuracy. A shorter barrel is stiffer and has less flex.

barrel length does not have an impact on what bullets you can stabilize.

louder? Maybe.....you should be wearing hearing protection anyways.

crown type.....doesn’t matter as long as it cut square and clean.

I might just know a touch about short barrels....this happens to be a 6.5-284😁

Attachments

• 020358B6-BF15-44D9-BE8F-EE65D62FF400.jpeg
    020358B6-BF15-44D9-BE8F-EE65D62FF400.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • E98AD686-1613-4E75-A535-A5E5E449DDF8.jpeg
    E98AD686-1613-4E75-A535-A5E5E449DDF8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Shorter barrels actually generally improve accuracy. A shorter barrel is stiffer and has less flex.

I also thought a short barrel would cause more muzzle jump and if extremely light gun would make it jump and flex more.

50-100 fps within 300 yards shouldn't be too noticable, if at all.
Any crown as long as it's square.
I prefer a recessed 11° crown, but that's just me.

16" with 11° target crown. I carry a LaRue OBR with 14.5" barrel shooting 175gr Sierra matchkings way past 300yds. That's my "long gun" as a LEO

Going to have the barrel cut down on my kimber montana 308. As it stands it has a 1:10 twist and a 22” barrel.
I am trying to decide if I want it cut down to 18” or 20”. I have a 2-7 mounted on it and it wont be used past 300. Will I neuter the 308 too much going to 18”?

I also know nothing about crown options but want something that is slightly protected from abuse in the field.

Thanks for any opinions.

Are you going to put a can on it? If so, 18" If not, 20"

Yep.

lol

Back