Caribou Gear Tarp

Barnes TTSX in the 257Wby

TXLonghorn

After shooting whitetail and mule deer last season using lead core bullets I am switching to TTSX to try out next.
I’ve already started reloading.
I’ve loaded both 7828 and 4831 using Barnes’ data and their suggested
COL 3.170. Ive also tried COL 3.160.
Velocity in the 34’s, groups at .7, which brings me to my question.
I think it can do better and with velocity what it is Im curious if anyone has played with cartridge overall length and achieved better results.
Rifle is a MK V, 26”, standard twist, factory barrel.

This may have already been discussed but I couldn’t find it. Thanks

l had a vanguard in 257 weatherby, l was shooting 5/8 of an inch with the 100 gr ttsx, no idea on velocity. they did well on antelope.

I used the regular tsx 100 gr in the 257 Roy. I kept it at barnes coal with H100v and it was a tiny ragged hole. You can play with coal but if it’s a factory chamber your not gonna come close to the lans. If it’s currently shooting well I wouldn’t mess with it.

I suppose I should measure the magazine and see what the limit is on length.
Not being too familiar with the TTSX and its characteristics, I’m curious whether or not the length of the jump made much of a difference.

Changing the overall length may cause feeding issues. But if you can fit it in the magazine box with out issues you may be able to get a little more powder.

I use a lot of Barnes Lrx. Different manuals will have hotter loads. I will look at a few different ones (online or go to the local store) and get an idea of where I can go.

But once I start getting moa or less groups, I will usually fine tune to get a little better accuracy.

Changing the overall length may cause feeding issues. But if you can fit it in the magazine box with out issues you may be able to get a little more powder.

I use a lot of Barnes Lrx. Different manuals will have hotter loads. I will look at a few different ones (online or go to the local store) and get an idea of where I can go.

But once I start getting moa or less groups, I will usually fine tune to get a little better accuracy.
Without divulging any trade trade secrets, what do you do to “fine tune”?

What is your COAL to the lands in the rifle? What is your max magazine length?
Barnes like lots of jump to the lands, they recommend starting at .050 off and increase in .025 increments to get the tightest groups. I have loads that are in excess of .125 from the lands. Increasing the distance to the lands will also reduce pressures to a degree even though you are reducing case capacity at the same time. Lots of good reading on the Barnes site.

What velocity are you looking to achieve? With what you’ve posted earlier your on par with what barnes has published. Have you tried RL-22? If you shooting 0.7” groups I personally think you are just shortening the barrel life? How old is the Mark V?2769183E-BF95-45B3-A00B-F549E49C77D3.jpeg

Without divulging any trade trade secrets, what do you do to “fine tune”?
I always try to get the longest length possible for the magazine (that doesn’t affect feeding issues). Especially with my Weatherby calibers. Then it’s adding or taking away .1-.2 grains sequentially up, to see how it affects the accuracy.

I’ve just recently started with copper bullets almost exclusively. I’ve tried E-tips and struggled to get the accuracy I was hoping for. Once making the switch to Barnes either TTSX or Lrx I’ve been impressed with their accuracy. I tend to flirt with “book” max loads and then find the closest to max that is accurate.

What velocity are you looking to achieve? With what you’ve posted earlier your on par with what barnes has published. Have you tried RL-22? If you shooting 0.7” groups I personally think you are just shortening the barrel life? How old is the Mark V?View attachment 233154
What velocity am I trying to achieve?
You ever see a roadrunner cartoon where he takes off and sets the road on fire?

Golfer is probably correct.
I suffer from “I think I can do better”.
Its a curse.

Golfer is probably correct.
I suffer from “I think I can do better”.
Its a curse.
Having gone down the same road with the three I’ve had. I guess 3500+ would be nice but I guess I don’t feel the need to push it any harder. Barrels aren’t cheap to replace. Accubond, partition or a mono should do everything you need it too I’ve never done anything with the monos.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back