Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Barnes 270/6.8 110 TSX

Benfromalbuquerque

I’ve had fun reloading an old box of 100g Hornady SP in my 270 Win. I just bought a bag of 110 TSX in .277 and want to develop a 400yd laser. Barnes lists H100v as one of the recommended slower burn powders and I have a sister powder (staball). Has anyone got experience to share with the lighter Barnes in a 270 or 6.8 platform?

I've shot the 120ttsx in my 7 Mag, flat scoots. I would try RL-17 if you have any. I get good consistency and speed out of Reloader powders when the case is pretty full.

Last edited:
Zeroed for 200 yards and it was "set it and forget it" at the ranges I shoot.
And ain’t that the truth??! I know I have no business shooting to 400 and would get closer to my target. It’s a mental thing that I’ll be able to punch paper at that distance like a boss and impress the other rejects at the range noon on Wednesday.

I loaded up some 95gr TTSX for my 6.8SPC last night. Gotta hit the range and see what powder charge my rifles like the most and load some for deer season this year. I've heard lots of good stuff about that specific bullet and the 6.8, I just hope it lives up to the hype.

I loaded up some 95gr TTSX for my 6.8SPC last night. Gotta hit the range and see what powder charge my rifles like the most and load some for deer season this year. I've heard lots of good stuff about that specific bullet and the 6.8, I just hope it lives up to the hype.
Gas gun? I think you could hit 2,700 though close to max psi. Get some!

Gas gun? I think you could hit 2,700 though close to max psi. Get some!
Yes it is a gas gun. I should be close to that with the 16" rifles, maybe a little less with the 14.5s. The Barnes rep told me to expect max load to be around 30.5-31gr. I started at 29.2 and stopped at 30 in .2 increments. If things are looking promising with no pressure signs I might try more later. Right now I'm just looking for a good group hoping to be above 2650 or close to it.

H322 and a 95 TTSX is money out of my 18" 6.8 SPC. My buddy shot quarter to quarter on a big Axis buck with that load. I killed several hogs and deer with it. I always wondered what that bullet would do in a .270 Win.

I use 120 TTSX in my 280 Ackley and it's a laser. I use IMR 4350 at 3400fps. Nosler lists it as one of their speedier combos in 270 with the 110s in Nosler 9.

H322 and a 95 TTSX is money out of my 18" 6.8 SPC. My buddy shot quarter to quarter on a big Axis buck with that load. I killed several hogs and deer with it. I always wondered what that bullet would do in a .270 Win.
Good to know, that's the powder I'm using

Is H322 fast burn for caliber in the 6.8SPC? Yeah, buddy, that 95gr would probably cruise 3,600 in the 270!

Powders with copper fouling reducers added like the Alliant Reloders and IMR Endurons are all I plan to use from ow on unless I have some old ammo with other powders to use up. At the range about every 10 rounds or so I run a few tight patches with some rubbing alcohol [either 70% or 90% is fine] to clean some of the carbon residue out. I also lube the bolt lugs at the same time.

Yes it is a gas gun. I should be close to that with the 16" rifles, maybe a little less with the 14.5s. The Barnes rep told me to expect max load to be around 30.5-31gr. I started at 29.2 and stopped at 30 in .2 increments. If things are looking promising with no pressure signs I might try more later. Right now I'm just looking for a good group hoping to be above 2650 or close to it.
I might have to try H322 again as I only tested 28.0 gr behind the 95 gr TTSX. I tried H322, Re7, 2200, and Re10X with that bullet. Re7 at 2675 fps in a 14.5” barrel gave me the best groups at around 1.25-1.5” at 100 yards. That was not as tight as what 110 gr Hornadys, Noslers, and Sierras shoot out of the rifle but still fine for hunting at the ranges I will be shooting with it.

Powders with copper fouling reducers added like the Alliant Reloders and IMR Endurons are all I plan to use from ow on unless I have some old ammo with other powders to use up. At the range about every 10 rounds or so I run a few tight patches with some rubbing alcohol [either 70% or 90% is fine] to clean some of the carbon residue out. I also lube the bolt lugs at the same time.
Goddamnit, man, that’s some new level of clean to me! I’ll try it if I got the time. Couple young kids limit my range days a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back