MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Barnes 140 Grain for Elk?

RugerHawg413

After looking at some reviews and answers, what about Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 140 Grain TTSX Polymer Tipped Spitzer Boat Tail for elk? Does it have a enough knock down power? Thanks again!

The bullet works well. As far as knock down power that depends on the cartridge. A 6.5-47 verses a 7mm Mag is quite a bit different in kinetic energy but both push a 140g bullet.

I shot my cow last year with a 150g TTSX and it performed fine and I found it under the skin on the far shoulder.A1107ADF-280F-46FB-BE9E-D36C7896F178.jpeg

A friend shot a bull broadside in the ass at close to 300 yards with a 140 ttsx from a 7 mag. It shattered the hip and deflected forward penetrating the guts, liver, a lung and lodged itself on the skin on the farside. He shot it again and got both lungs, but after gutting it the first shot would definitely have been fatal pretty quickly.

I shoot a 7mm rem mag 150gr ttsx and have never recovered a bullet. 2 bull moose and 2 6pt bull elk in last 4 years. the 2 moose didn't make it past 10 yards and 1 elk dropped on the spot. The other big bull elk ran 30 yards and collapsed. After 3 minutes got up and walked about another 20 yards where I dropped with a second shot.
Most importantly for me is from what I have seen and heard it mushrooms really well with high weight retention and its been very consistent shooting out of my gun at the range.
I have 3 boxes of 140gr ttsx and will not hesitate to start reloading those next

As long as your velocity is high enough for the bullet to expand you should have no problems.

High Velocity and a 140 gr copper > Low Velocity and a 200 gr copper

You want about 1800 - 2000 fps at impact for good performance.

Back