Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Barbary Sheep

Cuban

Here a picture of a Barbary Ram I took a few weeks ago in southern NM. These are free ranging and found mainly in the southeastern part of the state.

CUBAN
HUNTLODGES
<LI>null
index.html

RamDodge.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ November 25, 2001 12:24: Message edited by: Cuban ]</font>

Great pics. Give us a little info on hunt costs, tags, and any other stuff you might think is helpful. I've never hunted exotics before, but am starting to get interested.
Todd

Hey Cuban nice pics :D :D We always like tsee pics of good looking animls.We need etails onthe hunt man.How much was your hunt? A Barbary,never heard of i but it looks similar to th Auodad for sure so I want one.Good looking animals :D

Here's the deal on this hunt.
A state barbary liscense is required, $80.00.I also payed a rancher a tresspass fee to get on his land. There are some sheep on public land but I understand most of the states herd is on private land. It was tough getting within shooting range of these guys, they are in herds of up to 30 animals, thats alot of eyes watching for you. The first day of the hunt we spotted a good ram with over 25 other sheep with him, we tryed to put a stock on them 2 diffent times and got busted both times. I shot this dude the second day, luckily for me he was a loner
so getting close was easy.Forthe most part it's a spot and stalk type of hunt. We saw over 75 sheep in two days, I'm going to try to huntthem again next year.
I think this is the same animal that they call an audad in Texas, I dont know why they call it a barbary in NM, Does anyone know???

CUBAN

It's Aoudad Ammotragus lervia, not Barbary Sheep. The Aoudad has no known relatives and is not a member of the sheep family. A good friend of mine, Lee Duff, who was the Southwest Area Supervisor for the NM G & F explained to me that when they were released into the wild, that no one would have any idea what an Aoudad was, so the name Barbary Sheep was used. Partially because they are known to originate in Northern Africa along the Barbary Coast. Of course this isn't the limit to their range. They inhabit a considerable amount of habitat in Northern Africa, from flat desert to slightly hilly terrain to absolute boulder piles. They adapted well to our climate and grow horns that are considerably larger than found on most specimens from their original location. One reason is that it is believed that there is much better food sources here. According to an old book that I have "North American Big Game Hunting", the initial planting of the NM Aoudad came from Joe McKnight of Picacho, NM. who had established a herd in his private game park. Releases were made from that herd with supplimented releases from the Hearst Ranch in California. These first releases were into the Canadian River Canyon in 1950. According to the book, the first hunting was allowed in 1955, but halted in 1962. In 1967, hunting was allowed once again. That's all the information that I obtained from that source. Also, according to Raul Valdez, the author of such books as "Lords of the Pennacles", "Wild Sheep and Sheep Hunters of the New World", etc..., who is considered to be the top authority on wild sheep and goats of the world, the Aoudad will cross with certain goats in a controlled environment but the offspring is unfertile. Supposidly, the Aoudad will not cross with sheep. This hybridization has not been noted to ever happen in a wild environment. Dr. Valdez is a professor at New Mexico State University in the Wildlife Department.
A large Aoudad Ram I took in SE NM.

aoudad.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ November 27, 2001 22:19: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Excellent pictures and story Cuban!! It is sure nice to see ya back here at Moosies! The audad looks like a good one. You are going to have to show me where to hunt them. What did you use to kill him, a firearm or your bow?

Thanks Cuban and Kraven. I also used to guide for Aoudad in the northern hills of the Davis Mtns. in West Texas. There are some fine herds of Aoudad down there, completely free ranging, but has gotten quite pricy in recent years. The ranch I leased and guided on was sold, and I wasn't able to make arrangements with the new owner. So much for that good huntin' place.

Things like this are sure making this spring a lot more interesting. Those are both great looking trophies and the report was very well put together. Thanks for the treat fellas.

Hopefully, when this crew comes back from Texas, we will have lots of pictures and stories. Maybe even one of a fat old man with a big beautiful goat like that. (Ok no cracks you guys. Especially Del and Nut.)
:D :cool:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back