Caribou Gear Tarp

Barbary Sheep Meat

Valley1320

So my dad, brother and I have a Barbary sheep hunt starting this Saturday, and wondering if anyone here has had harvested one before and how the look to cook them up and eat em. Never hunted Barbary before, cleaned plenty of them in our butcher shop but never had any to eat. So any recipes youall like or favorite ways to fix them. Hopefully we can get some tags punched

Harvest OTC one in 19. Back straps are bit tougher but thought burger was good and we made tons of sausage. I'll ask the wife the spices she researched for the sausage recipes. I am going to pick up another OTC tag. I like them and the hunt can be fun and really tough and I 'm not gettig any younger. My buddy makes burgers from barb on the the green egg cooker. Some of the best burger that I've ever had. Nice smoke added flavor.

It will all be about how quickly you can get the hide off and meet on ice. Most turn it into sausage but I found the flavor to be unique and not unpleasant.

It will all be about how quickly you can get the hide off and meet on ice. Most turn it into sausage but I found the flavor to be unique and not unpleasant.
Ya ill pry make plenty of sausage but definitely will keep the backstraps and tenderloins as steaks

My backstraps off an old ram had good flavor but were tough.
Burger is always an option for chili and such.
Also made some great summer sausage. Can't imagine killing one and just pitching the meat. Seems wasteful to me.

Last edited:
So my dad, brother and I have a Barbary sheep hunt starting this Saturday, and wondering if anyone here has had harvested one before and how the look to cook them up and eat em. Never hunted Barbary before, cleaned plenty of them in our butcher shop but never had any to eat. So any recipes youall like or favorite ways to fix them. Hopefully we can get some tags punched
Here is s secret about cooking Barbary as was told to me by and old-timer guide. . Find a nice clean piece of log about 4 feet long with no knots or splits. Strip off all of the bark. Set it just close enough the the fire that it will not burn but you still get good heat. Add you spices as you see fit. Salt pepper and garlic should do fine. Place the meat on the log so it also gets good heat distribution and cook it until it is about well done. Cook it about 15 minutes and them turn it over to get the other side. Then take the log and the meat away from the fire and then you throw away the meat and eat the log. Follow me for more useful hunting tips for some of God's more worthless aminals. Don't forget to keep the head and horns for bragging rites.

Forgot about this thread and should gave followed it up. Anyone that tells you barbary isn't good is a liar😂 Ram was definitely tougher but would never consider grinding the steaks on ewes forsure. Definitely had a good flavor and ewes were not tough at all. We grilled our steaks. And also made some tenderize steaks for chicken fry as well out of hindquarters. I'll pack every bit of meat out after killing one of those.

Forgot about this thread and should gave followed it up. Anyone that tells you barbary isn't good is a liar😂 Ram was definitely tougher but would never consider grinding the steaks on ewes forsure. Definitely had a good flavor and ewes were not tough at all. We grilled our steaks. And also made some tenderize steaks for chicken fry as well out of hindquarters. I'll pack every bit of meat out after killing one of those.
My experience is a total of one ram, and I'd agree with what you said.

Shot a ram, ewe, and lamb on 1/22/23. I took care of all the meat immediately and had it on ice within 1-2 hours. There's definitely a difference in meat quality the lamb is great the ewe is fine but I can tell it's not the deer or elk in my freezer the ram is stronger but not terrible but really tough. It's edible but with a freezer full of antelope, elk, and deer I don't see myself reaching for aoudad backstrap often. I gave away most of the ewe as friends and family were interested in trying it, plan on turning the whole ram into jalapeno sausage this weekend. The lamb has been the star I left it in mostly big pieces for the smoker.20230125_170953.jpg20230125_175834.jpg

Boneless rear leg of aoudad lamb.

I shot a ewe 10 years ago and it was pretty good. Also have a hunt coming up so the issue of ram vs ewe is on my mind, you certainly hear more bad comments about rams. Good to get some positive feedback from @Valley1320, I can deal with toughness if the flavor is ok. Had a similar experience with Rocky Mountain Goat, lots of negative press but I actually thought it had a good flavor. Sure, the steaks needed a good workout with the jaccard tenderizer but I enjoyed eating it. All that being said I might shoot another ewe if circumstances dictate it, need something in the freezer right now more than another "trophy".

Last edited:
I shot a ewe 10 years ago and it was pretty good. Also have a hunt coming up so the issue of ram vs ewe is on my mind, you certainly hear more bad comments about rams. Good to get some positive feedback from @Valley1320, I can deal with toughness if the flavor is ok. Had a similar experience with Rocky Mountain Goat, lots of negative press but I actually thought it had a good flavor. Sure, the steaks needed a good workout with the jaccard tenderizer but I enjoyed eating it. All that being said I might shoot another ewe if circumstances dictate it, need something in the freezer right now more than another "trophy".
I would saw barbary ram taste better than desert bighorn. I've had both and the barbary had way better flavor I felt like. If you bacon wrap it to hold moisture in it and grill it slow you won't have a thing to complain about

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back