Caribou Gear Tarp

Baiting bears

Preacher shaner

If you were to go out west on a fall hunt and you set up bait how long would you need to have it out before you hunt it.

I've had bears on my baits overnight. To pattern, more like a week or more. Also depends on where you are baiting.

Here in Saskatchewan I bait 1 to 3 weeks prior to starting my hunt. As a reference, my biggest bear was shot over a 1 week old bait on the first sit.

I'll normally set a camera and over that time I can have up to 12 different bears hit my bait.

For me to go out out baits I am 18 hrs for Ann state that will let you bait. So I going to have to drive out and set up And hunt. I can't drive back and forth. So I have to stay with it. Any recommendations.

Baiting is lots of work!! We don’t have much opportunity to spot and stalk bears in sask except in the fall as the bears hit oat fields. I know for fact baiting is way more work then sitting on the edge of a field sneaking bears as it eats oats

Baiting is lots of work!! We don’t have much opportunity to spot and stalk bears in sask except in the fall as the bears hit oat fields. I know for fact baiting is way more work then sitting on the edge of a field sneaking bears as it eats oats
You get a hall pass

I'm going to guess you haven't hiked the Rockies at 11,000ft? A bit harder than sitting over donuts.

Why bait? Strap them boots on and hunt them spot and stalk its way funner.
Calling is even more fun imo. But if a guy wants to be really selective about trophy quality its probably not the way to go. Me, im just looking to kill bears, dont care about size or color, so whatever comes to the call gets it.

I'm going to guess you haven't hiked the Rockies at 11,000ft? A bit harder than sitting over donuts.
More then just sitting over donuts. I won’t even go into the work of collecting bait and trapping beavers in the spring for bait. But the actual baiting itself is a lot of work. Miles off the roads with atv and lugging in gallons and gallons of bait. Can easily go through 50 gallons of bait in five days. I have had baits for through 50 gallons in 3 days

I want to air this out there. I'm not knocking the baiting idea at all. I know it's a ton of work and a lot of thought and prep goes into it. In a lot of cases like @Sask hunter that's about the only way it works in the great providence of Saskatchewan. The amount of work he talks about putting into his stations is enough to make most guys say eff that. I know a few guys that do baits in Idaho and it's a ton of work as well. I'm pretty sure Krispy Kreme isn't sponsoring anything either.
I've never sat over a station but, I would like to sometime. I'm hesitant though I can't sit still to save my life watching mountain hillsides so I'm pretty sure it's not my cup of tea and that's ok. If we mixed in some walleye and pike fishing I could dig it for sure.
My comment to the OP was shit since your driving 18hrs and got really no way to really set baits and setup stations then why not spot and stalk. Idaho presents great opportunity for that.

Last edited:
Honestly I’ve never hunted over bait because It seemed like 5X more effort then spot and stalk.

@EYJONAS! exactly, as a NR getting a successful bait going could be a real tall order. It’s not like you are going to drive up some random road, walk 50 yards off the shoulder with a box of crispy creams and then 20 min later a bear is going to show up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back