PEAX Equipment

Baiting bears

Calling is even more fun imo. But if a guy wants to be really selective about trophy quality its probably not the way to go. Me, im just looking to kill bears, dont care about size or color, so whatever comes to the call gets it.
Would love to do this as well. I already have the calls in my bag for the season but I'm 100 percent going archery this year with a side arm of course so things could get real wild.

I want to air this out there. I'm not knocking the baiting idea at all. I know it's a ton of work and a lot of thought and prep goes into it. In a lot of cases like @Sask hunter that's about the only way it works in the great providence of Saskatchewan. The amount of work he talks about putting into his stations is enough to make most guys say eff that. I know a few guys that do baits in Idaho and it's a ton of work as well. I'm pretty sure Krispy Kreme isn't sponsoring anything either.
I've never sat over a station but, I would like to sometime. I'm hesitant though I can't sit still to save my life watching mountain hillsides so I'm pretty sure it's not my cup of tea and that's ok. If we mixed in some walleye and pike fishing I could dig it for sure.
My comment to the OP was shit since your driving 18hrs and got really no way to really set baits and setup stations then why not spot and stalk. Idaho presents great opportunity for that.
I am debating on going to idaho this year if I get out. I think the fact that he is driving 18hrs is a good reason to bait. If I go to idaho this year I plan to get one out and let it mellow for a couple days while I do some spot and stalk. Keep checking on it. If it gets good activity I can hunt it. If not keep stalking.

Would love to do this as well. I already have the calls in my bag for the season but I'm 100 percent going archery this year with a side arm of course so things could get real wild.
Yeah ive considered the archery thing, but i just dont think it would be a good match for calling. Aside from risking blowing your chance by drawing the bow, things can happen fast, and a perfect broadside shot in a calling scenario seems unlikely. Frontal shots are more likely, so ill stick with guns. May try to do it with my .460 this year for one of my wa tags.

I disagree, they both can be extremely enjoyable.
I corrected my post in the previous page but to your point I do see the benefits of the idea as well. Thanks for calling me on it though, one shouldn't be so closed minded. Its something I'm working on a bit.

I am debating on going to idaho this year if I get out. I think the fact that he is driving 18hrs is a good reason to bait. If I go to idaho this year I plan to get one out and let it mellow for a couple days while I do some spot and stalk. Keep checking on it. If it gets good activity I can hunt it. If not keep stalking.
This is more along the line I was thinking

Your a real go getter to be chasing bears at 11k ft.

I hunt everything at that altitude. I love it up there and can be there is 15 min. If i'm not hunting ill be hiking with the dog or scouting but i'll be there. I'd live there if I could figure out how to do it.

Last edited:
Atta boy, Lets attack legal hunting methods that a ton of people enjoy doing. If you have ever baited, You would know that it is not a slam dunk.

Do you call giving my opinion on how I like to hunt as an attack? You have no idea how little I care what others do.

Do you call giving my opinion on how I like to hunt as an attack? You have no idea how little I care what others do.
"Not just more fun but fair chase too." Your words not mine. Saying that baiting bears is not fair chase is an attack. But hey, What do you care.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WW2 Buff
Back