backpacking stoves-which one/

GlockZ

I have narrowed my choice in backpacking stoves, the MSR Pocket Rocket & the Optimus Crux Lite, I'm leaning towards the MSR, but wanted everyones opinion. Thanks.

I have two different stoves, a MSR Wisperlight and a Oli Camp which is very similar to the pocket rocket. I used the Oli on an 8 day backpacking trip and was very impressed. I only used one small canister of fuel the entire trip. I boiled water in the morning for coffee and in the evening for dinner. Go with the pocket rocket, but make a windscreen.

I really like my Optimus Crux Lite. I chose it mostly because of how it can be packed together with the fuel canister. Personal choice.

I bot the whisper light for my first one but found it sorta bulky and doesn't pack easily. Went with the bic 'C' s version of optimus (Primus, uses optimus canisters). used it for a couple of day this season. fuel canister and burner fit inside the cup to make a compact item. I like it. Don't see going back to the whisper unless space and meal considerations are idfferent than a backpack trip

My experience is one sided so possibly irrelevant as Ive never used the Primus but I have a pocket rocket and I really like it. Its not perfect, the 3 legs of the pot rest make unusual shaped pots unsteady (canteen cup etc) but that is likely not an issue. its small, light, inexpensive, and from my experience bombproof so its a winner in my book.

I;ve never really heard anyone complain about the pocket rocket. When the discussion is regarding canister stoves, pocket rocket is generally the best all around stove without going to a system such as the Reactor or Jetboil.

I too vote for the Pocket Rocket! I have been using one for 10 - 15 years. Before that, I used a MST Whisperlite. A real pain using Coleman fuel in it. The gas cylinders are the way to go IMHO.....

I used a pocket rocket for many years, and a few years ago switched to a Jetboil. Had I known about the Oli Pots at the time, I wouldn't have switched, but without it the Jetboil is much more efficient.

A friend of mine bought a knock-off Pocket Rocket (I think he got it on ebay?) for way less than the brand name. It seemed to work exactly like my name brand stove. I would get one of those and an Oli Pot.

I've got the MSR Pocket Rocket. Only used it one year, but it performed flawless. Both burners are very similar. Can't go wrong with either.

I got a good deal on a few micro-rockets and am really impressed with them combined with the olicamp. Have one in my work pickup, personal pickup and pack (stove). Works great for boiling water as well as starting a fire anywhere.

I have the Windburner, used it on two hunts and I am pleased with my purchase. I haven't really tested it in much wind yet, but I don't expect it to be a problem. My first experience with a system like this and I can say WOW on how fast it boils water. Overall I would say solid product, however the little canisters of gas that tuck nicely inside are somewhat hard to locate and pricey. I suspect that is an issue with all the little cooking systems. At Base camp or traveling on the road I just use one of the cheaper large gas canisters.

I also have used the MSR Pocket Rocket for over 10 years and it has been a very dependable and useful piece of equipment (just like all MSR gear I own).

I saved a bunch of $ and bought the pocket rocket this year instead of the more expensive MSR options. Very good piece of equipment. Met some other guys using the whisper light and can't say I was impressed. My food was cooked faster than they could even get the whisper going. Might be good for some applications but looked like a pain in the ass to me for the most part.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back