Caribou Gear

Backpacking sleeping bag

isu22andy

Getting a late start to getting some last minute gear and put off buying a backpacking sleeping bag. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg but this will be for archery hunting elk in Colorado mid september. I normally sleep cold . Any suggestions on what to get ? Sub 200 and packable . Searched but there wasnt any current threads from the last 2-3 years ,

Thanks

If you have broad shoulders or wide hips, Montbell's unique design for the Super Spiral Down 650 makes it as comfortable as they come. More like $325, but if you find other bags constricting it is worth every penny.

Getting a late start to getting some last minute gear and put off buying a backpacking sleeping bag. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg but this will be for archery hunting elk in Colorado mid september. I normally sleep cold . Any suggestions on what to get ? Sub 200 and packable . Searched but there wasnt any current threads from the last 2-3 years ,

Thanks
I’m thinking about selling my Kelty, cosmic 20 degree down bag if you are interested at all. It’s only been used 2 times. I’ve come to the conclusion I can’t sleep in a mummy bag. It drives me nuts. I’m a side sleeper so I think I’m going to try a quilt this year.

I just purchased a VIAM outdoors 10 degree quilt for about $200. I had a nemo steelhead 20 degree, but I have wide shoulders and found it uncomfortable when it got cold and I had to get fully inside. It was also quite bulky. The quilt is a wide/long version and packs down to a decent size. It’s synthetic so it isn’t as small as down, but it’s a good bit lighter and smaller then my old sleeping bag. I only have one night of sleep under it but I loved it, super comfortable, warm and plenty big. If you are smaller and like regular sleeping bags check out the nemo/first lite scout sleeping bag. I bought my wife one and it packs down very small and is also quite light for a synthetic bag.

I’m thinking about selling my Kelty, cosmic 20 degree down bag if you are interested at all. It’s only been used 2 times. I’ve come to the conclusion I can’t sleep in a mummy bag. It drives me nuts. I’m a side sleeper so I think I’m going to try a quilt this year.
Is it a long by chance ? I’m 6 2.

Not sure. I would have to check. I‘m only 5’-10” and it was plenty long enough but I can’t remember what size I bought.

Not sure. I would have to check. I‘m only 5’-10” and it was plenty long enough but I can’t remember what size I bought.
I’m guessing you bought the regular but let me know if it’s a long and you want it gone .

I ordered an XL bandit quilt for 300$. I know it's out of your price range but customizable, good reviews and worth a look if you're still doing research.

...what price do you put on comfort? Most quality down bags run $300-500 in the 0-15 degree category. Find the right bag, also get a liner that will make it warmer.
I have owned 5 different bags in the last 20 years, and you get more for your money with backpacking bags. Think marmot, mountain hardware, big agnes, north face. Down is warmer and more packable for weight. Only go synthetic if you expect to stay wet, or really want to stick to your price point.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back