Backpack hunting newbie

I'm new to backpack hunting myself and not to sidetrack the conversation, but any tips for handling thoughts about black bears while backpacking? Coming from a family where a trailer on the side of the house is "camping" to taking my first solo backpacking trips this year in CA and NV, I have to admit the wilderness aspect is a bit daunting.

I usually don't give a second thought to black bears, but if I know it's an area with higher than average bear activity I'll hang my food in a bear bag...

I'm new to backpack hunting myself and not to sidetrack the conversation, but any tips for handling thoughts about black bears while backpacking? Coming from a family where a trailer on the side of the house is "camping" to taking my first solo backpacking trips this year in CA and NV, I have to admit the wilderness aspect is a bit daunting.
Maybe i'm the only one, but i never worried much about black bears, grizzlies is a different story
I use Onx maps even on my backpacking trips and the wilderness does not seem daunting using that. You quickly realize there has not been one piece of dirt on the lower 48 a human has not touched. p.s. just so happens i'm doing a short PCT jaunt up at Kennedy Meadows this Saturday

Just keep your food up between 2 trees and keep a clean camp Black bears in general are not an issue Ive ben as close as 5 feet once and he was just curious granted I wasnt planning on being that close.

My recommendation is to get good (or at least experienced) at both (backpacking, and hunting) separately before you merge the two together.
I was a backpacker for years before hunting. Then i got into hunting. When i felt comfortable hunting is when i started backpack hunts
And pronghorn are a very good beginner animals to start with, but those are car-camping style hunts nearly always
Thank you for your thoughts on this, I’m taking everything into consideration and using a little bit of everyone’s advice. Thanks again.

My best advice is don't freak yourself out, being really nervous all the time doesn't make it safer. Being cautious and aware is beneficial. I do not personally hang food, and use other IGBC approved food storage methods + common sense. If I had to guess what percentage of bear-hangs out there are actually bear proof it would be extremely low.

90% of the places you go aren't going to be an issue. I've both hung food and just kept it away from camp. However, if you're in a high density bear area (i.e. Olympics in WA, or anywhere along the west side of the cascade crest) I would definitely take the time to hang. That requirement gets amplified if you're camping in designated areas where others are frequently camping. Other people are slobs and leave food around which habituates bears to the area. I would echo what Snowy says, don't freak yourself out, if hanging your food makes you feel better then do it. I've simply made it part of my routine unless I'm either way above treeline, or in an area with very few bears.

I’m new to backpack hunting, but I’m going to start doing it. My dream hunt goal is Elk, but from all I’ve read is that I should start with pronghorn , muleys, etc.,before going after something the size of Elk. Does anyone have any direction, suggestions, for me on the direction that I plan on going? Thank you in advance for your help, continue to be safe out there and God Bless.
Where are you located?

Do you want to BACKPACK hunt, or ELK hunt?

I ask this question because it is by far not required to backpack hunt. In fact, I have done both and found for most elk hunts, I am better off NOT backpacking so I can be more mobile. Backpacking makes you committed to a particular location. If you backpack into the wrong spot, you waste a ton of time. Elk can also move very far, very quickly, in terrain that will take you all day to cover.

Backpack hunting is great when you know where elk will be and, barring exceptional circumstances, won't be leaving. This is unlikely to be the case for your first several elk hunts, and can change within the season due to pressure or yearly due to mother nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back