BACKPACK HELP! Stone Glacier or kifaru

100%ornothing

From all the research i have done i have narrowed it down to two packs. STONE GLACIER OR KIFARU? Which one should i invest in?

Can't speak for SG as I've never owed one. I've always heard good things about them though. I own quite a bit of kifaru gear and have yet to be disappointed. I can't see myself ever owning a different pack and frame system. The comfort level on heavy loads is mind blowing. Extremely versatile and high quality. Buy once cry once. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Can't speak for Kifaru as I've never owned one. I've always heard good things about them though. I own a Stone Glacier and have yet to be disappointed. I can't see myself ever owning a different pack and frame system. The comfort level on heavy loads is mind blowing and the service is top notch. Extremely versatile and High quality. Buy once, cry once. I don't think you would go wrong with either.
:)

If either company is close to you, go check one out in person.

I just went through this process. Both of these brands are awesome and for me, comparing them came down to splitting hairs. What made the difference was actually being able to put them on with at least 40 pounds in each. I actually had a chance to shoulder packs from 5 upper end pack makers over about a week's time. That was key to finding which pack fit me best, rather than comparing similar features. For me, the Stone Glacier X curve fit me the best and felt best with weight. Any way you could try the two on that you have in mind? I found that people from this forum and others who were in my area were very willing to meet up so I could try their pack. I also was able to visit a couple of manufacturers at an expo. Really helped.

I've owned both. I slightly prefer my Stone Glacier. I have a buddy that owned both and slightly preferred the Kifaru. It's going to be your personal preference that decides which is better for you, so asking others for their opinion isn't going to be super helpful.

Last edited:
I picked up a SG Avail 2200 last year and used it on my elk and antelope hunts. I love it. I've heard great things about Kifaru as well.

Seems to be one of the top topics on this forum as far as gear goes. I am a SG guy, love the way it fits and handles a load in or out. Their crew at SG is absolutely top notch and they take care of their customers. I am sure kifaru has many plus' as well I have just never dealt with them. They make a great product though. Go with what fits best, if you get a chance try one. IMO you cant beat either it all comes down to preference. If you know Kurt and heard his story of designing SG packs from the beginning he's certainly gone through the trial and error process to perfect a rugged, lightweight expedition pack.

I've also been a huge fan of stone glacier. I ran a KUIU and a Mystery Ranch and wasn't overly impressed with either of those. I've been able to pack heavier loads with the Stone Glacier and it's been far more comfortable. The guys at SG are great to deal with as well. I started with an Avail 2200 and put it on the x curve frame. I ran that setup all bow season and packed out 3 different bulls without any issues. I then purchased the Solo 3300 so that I could pack more clothes during late rifle hunts and it performed flawlessly. I don't have any experience with Kifaru, but I have heard good things. SG has been a great fit for me.

I have a Kifaru and really like it. I have yet to hear a bad thing about Stone Glacier either. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

To make your decision tougher, you could also check out Exo Mountain or Seek Outside. I recently had a chance to try a friend's Seek Outside and it carries a load even more comfortably than my Kifaru. The price tag is a little lower, too. Decisions, decisions...

Like most have said, both those pack companies are top notch in every way. Both companies you can call and will walk you through the process. If there is any way you can try them on, that would be the most helpful. Every pack is different on every persons body so its really about what fits you best. I will say though that both of those companies make packs that, under weight, are incredible. Top notch. Good luck. You honestly cannot go wrong with either of those.

I've never owned a Kifaru but I have four Stone Glacier packs and love them.

I just got back from a Desert Sheep hunt with one Alaskan guide and three BC guides in camp.

Between myself and the guys mentioned above and the Mexican guide we had 6 Stone Glacier packs in camp.

Those boys know their gear and I like to think I know a bit about it too.

I've never owned a Kifaru but I have four Stone Glacier packs and love them.

I just got back from a Desert Sheep hunt with one Alaskan guide and three BC guides in camp.

Between myself and the guys mentioned above and the Mexican guide we had 6 Stone Glacier packs in camp.

Those boys know their gear and I like to think I know a bit about it too.

How did the sheep hunt go?

How did the sheep hunt go?

It was great!

It took us nine days of backpacking in some tough country and it was hotter than hell but we got it done on day 9.

Thanks for asking, it was quite the adventure. Some seriously cool country down there on the Baja, had a great time. :)

I picked up a SG Avail 2200 last year and used it on my elk and antelope hunts. I love it. I've heard great things about Kifaru as well.

How did this hold up hauling quarters? I have thought of the same set up for elk but am hesitant.

It was great!

It took us nine days of backpacking in some tough country and it was hotter than hell but we got it done on day 9.

Thanks for asking, it was quite the adventure. Some seriously cool country down there on the Baja, had a great time. :)

I hope to see a story and some pics soon!

How did this hold up hauling quarters? I have thought of the same set up for elk but am hesitant.

I have a approach bag and a 5900. They both work fantastic for packing out with the load shelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back