Back to Wyoming for deer and antelope..

Jhunterb21

My group is heading back to Wyoming for deer again, this time we decided to try our hand at prong horns as well. We had great success in region C but was curious as to where we could have luck with both species. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome aboard and try searching for your answer with the search function. If no luck there, try goHunt!

Best of luck

My group is heading back to Wyoming for deer again, this time we decided to try our hand at prong horns as well. We had great success in region C but was curious as to where we could have luck with both species. Any help would be appreciated!

Why not try some antelope hunt areas that are within deer region C?

ClearCreek

Why not try some antelope hunt areas that are within deer region C?

ClearCreek

we hunted region c in 2018 and had great luck! We saw some prong horns too.That’s where we were leaning towards but wanted to know if any other areas would be “better”. I’m glad you requested region c because it’s nice to go somewhere somewhat familiar for being 26 hours away. Do you have any info on region d?

we hunted region c in 2018 and had great luck! We saw some prong horns too.That’s where we were leaning towards but wanted to know if any other areas would be “better”. I’m glad you requested region c because it’s nice to go somewhere somewhat familiar for being 26 hours away. Do you have any info on region d?
Welcome. Your time will be best spent using the search function on the forum. You wont get much help as a brand new member with such a vague question.

Questions that you should ask yourself that will aid in your search are:
Guided hunt, trespass fee, or public land?
How many people in your group and will everyone be able to draw tags?
Does anyone have any experience with hunting pronghorn?
What pronghorn units are in deer regions C & D?
Which areas have overlapping deer and pronghorn seasons?
Where are you coming from and is driving distance an issue?
Staying in hotels, lodges, camps?
What do you want to hunt with: rifle, archery, handgun, or muzzleloader?
How many points you and your hunting partners have?
Will you apply for the special draw or regular draw?
Do you want buck tags, doe tags, or both?
What kind of trophy class you are looking for?
How much pressure can you handle from other hunters?

Welcome to HT! “Better” can mean something entirely different from one hunter to another in terms of seasons, units, etc. Make a list of your top 3-5 priorities of a hunt from @Jt13 ’s list above and use that to evaluate different units. That will help you select a hunt that fits what you want, and not what fits someone else’s idea of a “good” hunt.

Your priorities and mine might be different. I am a meat hunter so filling the freezer is a priority to me. I will take a nice doe on my Type I tag before I let it go unfilled. I use my Type I tags in the first half of my 2 hunts for nice bucks/bulls but last few days of hunting season, anything with a lot of meat goes down to fill the freezer.

The absolute best (but some hunting pressure) areas for antelope is around the Rawlins area in Carbon County. Sometimes a lot don't see that many antelope. Sometimes you have to get off the road and walk a half mile to mile to see them but they are definitely there. Road hunters miss them because they don't leave the vehicles until they want to shoot. The habitat is near perfect and you get some of the biggest trophies from this area if you do the work to find them.

The absolute best (but some hunting pressure) areas for antelope is around the Rawlins area in Carbon County. Sometimes a lot don't see that many antelope. Sometimes you have to get off the road and walk a half mile to mile to see them but they are definitely there. Road hunters miss them because they don't leave the vehicles until they want to shoot. The habitat is near perfect and you get some of the biggest trophies from this area if you do the work to find them.
Yes we have no problems hiking back in to find better bucks. I will look into that area. Is there a decent deer population near Rawlings? Region q or d? Maps can be a pain to read

Deer are in the area but you really need to hunt on foot along the rivers and close to irrigated land if you can. If you can get permission to hunt on private. Public areas are doable but too many people know about them. If you hunt deer for the public, do it doing the weekdays when most of the dang weekend and road hunters are home cussing about the one that got away. There are a lot of deer in both regions. You are likely to find whitetail over muleys though. Whitetails hang near water sources so find those and you likely will find a buck there early in the morning or right before shooting light shuts down for the night. The bucks usually bed near food and water in that area so look for that too. Bedding areas are in thick bushy spots that are difficult to navigate without making a lot of noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back