Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Back in the Vizsla rescue loop

elkduds

This is Red, a whopping 80# of neutered male. When he gives you the vizsla lean, you know you are being leaned on! We are fostering him, he will be available for adoption in a month or 2 through Second Chance Vizsla Rescue. He is 4 years old, has unknown hunting background. He has the most relaxed temperament of any of the Vs we have worked with. Welcome, big Red!

Red foster V 2-3-21.jpg
When I looked closely at this pic I saw the glowing eyes of the demon french bulldog that has possessed our house. We call her Pazuzu.

Beautiful dog. I'll second bobbydean; not sure how you foster dogs. I'd have 1,000. That's actually my win the lottery goal, to have a dog rescue. Vizslas are awesome. My buddy has one and it is just the coolest dog. He does not use it to hunt. On the rescue topic, does anyone have experience with rescuing a dog that is a hunting breed and have success getting it to hunt? I have always wondered about this as I have only ever had rescued dogs, but never hunting breeds. I currently have two rescues, a pit bull and chihuahua. And while I love bully breeds, I would like to get a hunting breed next, but have a strong desire to rescue. Looking for something that would be a great family dog and maybe retrieve a duck or two. I know most would say a lab, but not sure if there are other options.

We got into fostering as a result of adopting a dog from the 2nd Chance Viszla group in CO. Fred was our 1st adoption. It was obvious he was a hunter from the get. He would point scents, and one day on an off-leash hike he jumped up and caught a flying meadowlark in his mouth. He soon joined our annual hunt in southwest Kansas, where he watched a great pair of GSPs hunt and did what they did.
PB160135.JPG

Fostering is when a dog comes from a shelter or owner surrender into the care of a rescue org. For example, Red was surrendered when his people got pregnant and could no longer meet his high need for daily exercise. It takes a big heart, patience and a sense of humor to foster well. Dogs come out of abusive or neglectful backgrounds, sometimes with destructive or aggressive behaviors. Our role as fosters is to treat anything medical: start or continue obedience, toilet and crate training, and give the dog time to calm down after whatever horrors he had been through. Our fosters have required surgery, physical therapy (in an indoor swimming pool!), have destroyed metal crates, dug holes, chewed everything from shoes to coffee tables. We have driven across multiple states to pick up or deliver fosters. One came to us via private plane, flown from a reservation in NM. This rescue group has annual reunions (before COVID).
P9180011.JPG
I can't speak for other rescue groups. 2nd Chance is very professional, well managed and well funded. It has a great and extensive group of volunteers who are supportive and knowledgeable, we have learned a ton from others. Along the way we adopted 3 dogs, all shared their lives with us. Impossible to imagine my life without the "red dog rodeo."

Attachments

• PB160135.JPG
    PB160135.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 1
We got into fostering as a result of adopting a dog from the 2nd Chance Viszla group in CO. Fred was our 1st adoption. It was obvious he was a hunter from the get. He would point scents, and one day on an off-leash hike he jumped up and caught a flying meadowlark in his mouth. He soon joined our annual hunt in southwest Kansas, where he watched a great pair of GSPs hunt and did what they did.
View attachment 172674

Fostering is when a dog comes from a shelter or owner surrender into the care of a rescue org. For example, Red was surrendered when his people got pregnant and could no longer meet his high need for daily exercise. It takes a big heart, patience and a sense of humor to foster well. Dogs come out of abusive or neglectful backgrounds, sometimes with destructive or aggressive behaviors. Our role as fosters is to treat anything medical: start or continue obedience, toilet and crate training, and give the dog time to calm down after whatever horrors he had been through. Our fosters have required surgery, physical therapy (in an indoor swimming pool!), have destroyed metal crates, dug holes, chewed everything from shoes to coffee tables. We have driven across multiple states to pick up or deliver fosters. One came to us via private plane, flown from a reservation in NM. This rescue group has annual reunions (before COVID).
View attachment 172669
I can't speak for other rescue groups. 2nd Chance is very professional, well managed and well funded. It has a great and extensive group of volunteers who are supportive and knowledgeable, we have learned a ton from others. Along the way we adopted 3 dogs, all shared their lives with us. Impossible to imagine my life without the "red dog rodeo."
Special place for people like you! Appreciate your work.

I submitted an adoption application yesterday for a 7 month old Vizsla. My fingers are crossed we get picked.

Vizslas are such cool dogs, if we were in the market for another dog i would seriously consider a vizsla. I dont use my hound for hunting, shes a hiking companion, and my wifes old wenier dog is pretty useless unless you like getting nipped at and/or killing chickens..... Sadly when we get back into a new dog mindset, my wife is picking a Great Dane :cautious:

Back